VW Split Samba

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

101sinbad
Married to the DDK

VW Split Samba

Post by 101sinbad »

morning all,

I need some advice.....

I've always hankered after a 23 Window to take the kids out in (great how I can project my own wants onto the kids!)
I like the idea of getting a run down one and then spending £10k to sort it out rather than shelling out on somebody else's dream.

This one came up on thesamba which seemed to fit the bill; reasonable price and pretty complete.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=895054

I then did a bit of digging around and found this on vzi. Looks like the previous owner did some pretty serious looking metal replacement but never got around to finish it off. The new owner doesn't seem to have got much further

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread ... indow+1963

If I bought it do you think I'd be buying somebody else's problem?

I've backed off but would appreciate anyone else's thoughts

Serhad
Del
DDK forever

Post by Del »

Serhad,

I dont have much experience of Splits, but have you asked on Volkszone itself?

Once you get past the micky taking and the banter, there is a great deal of help and knowledge on there, would be well worth asking.

Sorry i can't be any more help than that.
decapman
DDK slapper chatter

Post by decapman »

Well I have had splits and bay windows.
The advantage of the split is that it looks cool. Thats about it.
I had a '62 23 window Samba and a 65 21 window Samba.
They were built with reduction boxes so expect to lay out on major engineering to get sensible performance
Both Sambas leaked like seives, were noisy and terribly uncomfortable to drive.
You sit in the cab hunched over the flat steering wheel because they were designed for people 5'6" tall.

Of course you can upgrade them with modifications to suspension engines chassis etc but the Bay Window as the factorys answer to all these issues.
A bay window, prefererably a 1971 deluxe (early style bumpers and lights but disc brakes) with a sunroof is a cheaper more comfortable option and in my opinion just as cool.You will need to lay out on soundproofing and maybe a slightly uprated motor but you will have a useable vehicle for taking the kids out in.
Just my opinion.
Marcus
1967 RHD 911S
1958 Fiat Abarth Zagato 750 Competition Corsa
1956 356a "die Ratte"
1972 Mercedes 280S
2014 BMW X3 2.0SE
1974 914 2.0
992 C2S
1955 Continental Cabriolet
1968 Citroen DS21
Alan @ CanfordClassics
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

Hi Serhad,

Quickly looking at those pics that bus would easily eat £10k no problem at all. If you decide to start looking let me know as the guys next to my unit work on buses and also has a 23 window himself. I am sure would be happy to help.

How about a bay window? For example I have a 72 bay window westfalia that we have just finished over the Christams break. 5 berth, fully repainted its original colour, all rebuilt, detailed, trimmed, all new rubbers, full exhaust, bearings, exhaust, clutch, lights, trim, every break part new etc

IMO these are much more useable than a split.

being painted in our oven

http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
101sinbad
Married to the DDK

Post by 101sinbad »

Del wrote:Serhad,

I dont have much experience of Splits, but have you asked on Volkszone itself?

Once you get past the micky taking and the banter, there is a great deal of help and knowledge on there, would be well worth asking.

Sorry i can't be any more help than that.
Hi Del,
I've tried to get in touch with the previous owner without much luck. I didn't want to pick the car apart on vzone as he has it advertised on there as well :)
101sinbad
Married to the DDK

Post by 101sinbad »

decapman wrote:Well I have had splits and bay windows.
The advantage of the split is that it looks cool. Thats about it.
I had a '62 23 window Samba and a 65 21 window Samba.
They were built with reduction boxes so expect to lay out on major engineering to get sensible performance
Both Sambas leaked like seives, were noisy and terribly uncomfortable to drive.
You sit in the cab hunched over the flat steering wheel because they were designed for people 5'6" tall.

Of course you can upgrade them with modifications to suspension engines chassis etc but the Bay Window as the factorys answer to all these issues.
A bay window, prefererably a 1971 deluxe (early style bumpers and lights but disc brakes) with a sunroof is a cheaper more comfortable option and in my opinion just as cool.You will need to lay out on soundproofing and maybe a slightly uprated motor but you will have a useable vehicle for taking the kids out in.
Just my opinion.
Hi Marcus,

I hear ya!
But the 23 window looks...so right.
I've had a couple of splits before so know how awkward they are to live with. Driving in the slow lane on the M4 trying to pull yourself out of the rutts the HGV's have left behind isn't for the feint hearted.
An early bay certainly ticks a few boxes

S
101sinbad
Married to the DDK

Post by 101sinbad »

Alan.UK wrote:Hi Serhad,

Quickly looking at those pics that bus would easily eat £10k no problem at all. If you decide to start looking let me know as the guys next to my unit work on buses and also has a 23 window himself. I am sure would be happy to help.

How about a bay window? For example I have a 72 bay window westfalia that we have just finished over the Christams break. 5 berth, fully repainted its original colour, all rebuilt, detailed, trimmed, all new rubbers, full exhaust, bearings, exhaust, clutch, lights, trim, every break part new etc

IMO these are much more useable than a split.
nice work!
I'm going to look for a microbus. More the merrier.
If the guys next door hear of a decent one let me know

cheers
Serhad
decapman
DDK slapper chatter

Post by decapman »

I got my Early bay (without an engine ) bone dry and rust free apart from strip under the window, landed and tax paid in the UK from Soutthern California for about £3000.
Must have spent £10K now on super motor and freeway flyer, lowered suspension, decent tyres, new interior, getting headlining done and roof to work etc etc etc
Still waay less than the cost of doing up a 23 window would be.

But I hear ya too, that 23 window looks so cool and I loved the safari windows (in the dry)
Marcus
1967 RHD 911S
1958 Fiat Abarth Zagato 750 Competition Corsa
1956 356a "die Ratte"
1972 Mercedes 280S
2014 BMW X3 2.0SE
1974 914 2.0
992 C2S
1955 Continental Cabriolet
1968 Citroen DS21
pix912
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by pix912 »

As mentioned, they are slow, they drive like shite but they are cool.
Mine is a 58, still running the RGBs but with a brand new 1600 Mexico engine.
They are expensive (hey, but lots of people want one) and perfect for family camping...

3000 km, no problem.

Driving all afternoon through Paris, safari's open.

Slow

But cool

And fun

Mountains are no problem with the RGBs and the 1600

Lots of space

jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

That is so cool
101sinbad
Married to the DDK

Post by 101sinbad »

jb wrote:That is so cool
I'll second that.

that trip looks wonderful!
Mike Usiskin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Usiskin »

can you be my dad too please :lol:
former owner, still hoping to be reunited with my STOLEN 1972 911T/E 2.4 . Keep looking guys

No Hydrocarbons were hurt in the sending of this mail. Thanks

Dakota
DDK forever

Post by Dakota »

Hi
I would suggest buying someone else's abandoned probably incomplete definitely still rusty project is a very good way of getting through an awful lot of money fast, if your not going to be doing the work yourself spend more and get one that some other poor bugger has spunked all their cash on, if you have the money it always costs less long term to look longer and find the best you can afford, and whats going on with the rear end has it already had bay window rear suspension fitted? An early bay window has much of the charm, has more room in the cab and drives so much better, though a good split really isn't too bad its just that many are actually in poor mechanical condition.
I am a person of simple pleasures so if you don't have any simple pleasures to offer me, beer, pizza or Porsche bits etc kindly leave me be, XX.
Paul @ P R Services
Married to the DDK

Post by Paul @ P R Services »

I bought a 62 RHD Samba for £700 back in 1991 and did 10,000miles around Australia in it.
Rebuilt the engine in a field, got an interior out of a bay from a scrap yard.
Lost a shocker at Alice springs, hit some sort of animal in the night, broke the sunroof handle off on a cold night near Darwin, had a bungee holding it in 4th gear for 2,000miles, cooker caught fire at Melbourne...

Brought it back to the UK and got £2,300...thought it was a load of money at the time...

I have had maybe over 10 split screen vans now
Drive one before you own one...they are horrible to drive...it can be sorted out but you must budget for it.
They rust quite well too.
Brakes are rubbish.
They have no power at all.
Every truck that passes you at 55MPH sucks you in and throws you out.
Because you will be in the inside lane you bob from side to side on the Tram-lines left by heavy-goods vehicles.
All pattern VW parts are sh** quality because 99% on vw guys are cheap-skates and won't buy decent stuff.

All said and done..why have I had 10 of them...I love em :wink:
P.R.Services LTD.
Cars For Sale, Parts, Racing and Service.
www.prs356.com
tel:- 07000 356911
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Have a chat with Steve Walker (vwretrosteve)

he's owned a good few Sambas and knows more than most and is also a top guy who speaks honestly.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk