DDK Scottish Highland Tour 2007 – Initial interest

Here you will find an archive of previous Porsche Events and other car related events

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, drummerboytom, abm914

Ian Donkin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian Donkin »

Mike wrote: I'd be knackered, deaf and unable to walk if I did it in one hit :shock:
So what's new Mike :lol:.

Put me on the list for this one too please. Probably still be dropping oil and smoking if filled to a reasonable level, but then again...

Top marks to Brendan and the dentist for kicking this one off.
2006 RHD 997 Carrera (but DDK remains in my heart - also now no longer)
1972 LHD 2.4T with '73 2.4T CIS motor - gone to a new DDK home
1994 RHD 993 Carrera - gone!
1968 LHD 911L - was the Wife's but now in new hands :-(

targa/red
DDK slapper chatter

DDK SCOTTISH HIGHLAND TOUR

Post by targa/red »

Hi MIKE
Only just joined DDK Jane and myself would be interested in the tour
keep us posted in what happening.
Richard
EddieDay
DDK Fanatic

Post by EddieDay »

I'm in. Will check with the boss tomorrow.
Eddie
'72 2.4T with E spec. engine
'97 Ducati 900SS, '92 BMW R100R, '67 Triumph Trophy.
gav p
DDK slapper chatter

Post by gav p »

Count me + the other half in... as Darren said, there was lots of talk of this at the Goodwood Breakfast meet the other day.

Spent a weekend around Ullapool recently (in a hire car :? ), and the roads were fantastic... fast undulating A-roads and no trees, so you could see the next mile of road laid out waiting ahead 8) 8)
Gavin

'73 911E -> 2.7mfi
'94 968 Sport
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

Count me in :lol:
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
percymon
DDK Newbie

Post by percymon »

depends on your route but Trigony House Hotel, www.trigonyhotel.co.uk ,about 10 miles north of Dumfries on the A76 is a great stop over point. Used it the last two years as a fisrt night stop for another P forum, this year we used it the first and last night.

The next day you have the choice of the A702 (nice road) or B797 Mennock Pass (superb twisting road through great scenery - used by EVO magazine for their COTY contest). to connect to the M74 and head through Glasgow. The road north along Loch Lomond is good for progress, and if you turn west to Inverary the roads just get better (inverary nice lunch stop too). Go north to pass the old hillclimb at 'rest and be thankful', then plod on to Tyndrum and through Glencoe.

Fort William is a good stop for the night, allowing Loch Ness, Fort Augustus (start of Caledonian Canal)

or Eilean Donan Castle the next day.

If you want twisty roads and great scenery then the WesterRoss Coastal Trail is well worth a trip - a lot is single track but passing place discipline is adhered to by most and progress can be very good.

Allow 2 hours from Eilean Donan Castle to complete the trail, 3 maybe to get to Aultbea, good lunches at Aultbea Hotel.

Try to get as far north as Ullapool if you can - there are some cracking roads up there, either north or east to Inverness. The Seaforth restaurant at the far end of the harbour serve cracking food, queen scallops or lobster soup absolute bargains !!

From there you can either retrace you steps back south, or head across on the A9 toward Perth, soem nice rosds if you head south before Pitlochry to Creiff too, with Knockhill race circuit just south of Creiff.

If you want any more details, or images of the map routes i've used then give me a shout, i'll be more than happy to share them Image
Andy
DDK Fanatic

Trossachs Hotel

Post by Andy »

Can I reccomend you to look at this hotel, if you are still looking. Its 10 miles up a one track (good) road in Balquidder (Near Callender). Safe and secure parking, probably the best food I have eaten.
Only has about 20 rooms, speak to Tom (see link below)

For me the drive starts when you pick up the A82 from Glasgow which follows Loch Lomond to Tarbet, Crianlarich and then Kingshouse.

Also from the Trossachs try taking the A83 from Tarbet round Loch Fyne where you will find the Loch Fyne restaurant. From Inveraray you can access the Western bits but well worth going over the toll bridge to Skye.

On the way home try the A68 from Edinburgh then join the A686 at Haydon Bridge to Penrith and the M6. The A68 is fast and not too many speed cameras, the A686 takes you over the top of the mountains, its a real buzz very very fast and tight Alpine type road.

http://www.monachylemhor.com/
Andy Dee-Crowne

'69' 911T
'94' 993 C4
63 FIA semi lightweight e-type
62 3.8 Mk2 Jaguar Rally Car
Glenn75S
DDK above all

Post by Glenn75S »

Count me in assuming the car is up and running and reliable........
1975 Porsche 911S (SOLD)
1990 Porsche 964 Carrera 2 (Distant Memory)
2000 Audi TT 225
2007 Volvo V50 D5 SE Sport
2009 Hungarian Vizsla AWD
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Good man 8)
Viv_Surby
DDK rules my life!

Post by Viv_Surby »

I'd be up for such an event too 8)
.....AKA the Welsh driving ace - Carlos Monteverdi!

1967 VW Type 2 Camper - 'Betsy'
1969 Porsche 911R Homage hot rod - 'Prescilla'
1972 Karmann Cabriolet - 'Celine'
rafiki
DDK addict

Scottish Tour

Post by rafiki »

I'd love to join in but suspect I may be 'toured out' as I we'll have just returned from the 'Cape to Cape Tour' (Cape Wrath in NW Scotland to Cape Clear in SW Ireland) during which we shall be raising funds for Macmillan Cancer Support.

However, I'll kep an eye on the thread.
1966 912 SWB Coupe
2007 KIA Cee'd

Macmillan Supporter? Look at www.maccapers.co.uk for our way of supporting Macmillan Cancer Support.
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

We have currently got 29 cars down for this trip :shock: :shock: :shock:

When I spoke to Mike about it I was thinking we may get 6-9 in total. Our problem is getting somewhere big enough to take us but I think I may have found the right place.... Loch Tay Highland Lodges

The plan would be to hire several lodges but get the restaurant to provide us with dinner bed and breakfast as part of the package. It's a really nice place right on Loch Tay which is one of Scotland's largest and beautiful lochs. The location is quiet central and gives us plenty of options for great tours. I when to visit the place last week and the owner turns out to be a classic car fan and so we would get a great welcome. Also the plan would be to get to Loch Tay on the Friday night rather than Saturday, again giving us more tour options. So on Friday afternoon we would all met up somewhere on the M74 and arrive in convoy.

I think the maximum cost of this would be £55 pppn db&b. There may be a need to share a room but I'm trying to plan for 4 people in a 6 berth chalet. And before you start I'm not sharing with Mike!! I would be looking at getting a £25 deposit for all interest parties. Before I confirm this I thought I would get your opinion.....so start posting!
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Looks good Brendan, This keeps the cost down to a more reasonable level as well.

Just need to finally nail my parents into a firm babysitting commitment and the cheque will be in the post 8)
willbrown
I luv DDK!

Post by willbrown »

Excelent plan, Brendan. 8)

Where do we send the deposits?
'72 2.4S Targa
pmjt
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by pmjt »

Brenden / Mike,

Good call - let me know where to send the deposit and it's on its way :-)

Presumably - because this is self catering anyway, we could do our own BBQ / booze thing like CLM? :wink:

P