Off Topic - SUV Recommendations Please!

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Re: Off Topic - SUV Recommendations Please!

Post by smallspeed »

I know this might sound obvious, but check your towing capacities first - I've been dismayed by some of them being surprisingly low recently, particularly some of the automatics and hybrids. its pretty easy to get up to 2 ton with a decent trailer a 1.1 ton car and some spares ;) if you have a heavier car and more bits to carry then you might get over 2ton which rules out quite a few.. A guy around the corner from us has one of the new Mitsubishi PHEV things and that's only 500kg capacity!!

not been an issue for us as amie has a horse lorry, BUT her mate had a santa fe as a work car because it was one of the best for towing (she's an equine vet) plus they're massive inside! I think it has like a 3 ton braked capacity or something ridiculous?! she really liked it and did over 100k in 3yrs without issue. We went to Newcastle for a wedding in it last year and was comfortable all the way there and back. she now has an amorak (the "industrial one" or whatever they're called) and loves that too, although she was saying its not as good as the santa fe for towing big horse trailers.. possibly less weight over the rear end? I'm not sure..
dean1057
DDK forever

Post by dean1057 »

Wife had a early Kia Sorento for three years and nothing went on that in the 3 years we had it, not even a bulb.
Steering very vague and light, great for woman but not much feeling for a driver, engine good and didn't rock and roll too much when pushed.
964 C4 1990, Metallic Black
3.0SC 1978 Targa Imported from California, Guards Red
3.2 RS Replica, 1984 GP White & Blue
997 gen 2 Gt3, 2010 Aqua Blue
996TT Riveria Blue.....sold to Geebee but not forgotten
and a few Motorbikes!!!!
richkaz
DDK rules my life!

Post by richkaz »

If she ' likes being a bit higher up ' maybe an Audi Avant Quattro with one of these extra's might suit both

“Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three
decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good "..

1971 911 2.2T sold
1970 911 2.2S Sold but remains within DDK
1959 Lancia Flaminia PF Coupe
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

In the same boat at the moment, family car is a 2005 BMW X3 2.0d, initially I was looking to trade up to a 2011/12 Audi Q5, but for similar money over 3 years we can get a new Hyundai Tucson, they seem very good value and have a decent spec. Just need to get my head around owning a Hyundai !!
Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

Santa Fe only tows 2200Kg from memory , and I don't think Tuscan is very high either. Not much gets to that magic 3000Kg mark - discounting L200's / Navaras and the like + the obvious Landrovers / Discovery busses

Jeep (Grand C ), Hyundai Terracan , and Sorento (pre 2010 !!) ... are some of the few.

Sniffed at a cheap 2003 Sorento today , but did not like the look of the underneath ..... just too much rust and neglect.

Jon / John - new Hyundais are not so bad , reasonably well put together , long (ish) warranty , ++ deals can be had too ..............
Royal Enfield .. still in India
GL 1800 Tour DCT, for pleasure / Fantic 240 Professional - play
Rally 911 (1966) build parked for a while
Rally 928 (work started again - inc serious weight loss programe !)
.... and now another VW Up GTI owner.
964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 964RS »

I've no need for towing so that's not an issue for me.

There are so many SUV models now though it's doing my head in.

Think I'll have to spend a few days going round the dealers and seeing them in person sadly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Mike

Post by Mike »

964RS wrote:Wife wants a change of cars....... Landrover is probably out ....
Jason, don't rule out Land Rover, look at the 4 cylinder diesel Freelander 2, Ford engined and a very capable mid size SUV. People have been banging on about towing weights and so on, but unless your wife is into horses, not sure if that will be of much interest to her.

What is of interest to my wife is the seating height and feeling of safety in her car, it's a very solid build unlike some of the far eastern SUV's we've experienced. Size is perfect for her, she can get into most car parking spaces and great all round visibility. Black with black is a very smart looking car and top HSE spec with average miles, leather, sat nav and good wheels easily in your budget. Discontinued now, which is probably why they are the steal they are, thought it worth a mention.
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
Mike

Post by Mike »

....and as an example this is the first one I found on Pistonheads, it's a rare limited edition version which they don't realise and with fully loaded spec. You might find lower miles but not all the kit, it's a good looking car:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/ ... x4/6718932
cheers, Mike.

previously..
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

My towing weight comments were for Cortina, who wants to tow a rally car..

I assume kate's car was a Sorrento based on the other comments above - I know she had it purely for the ability to tow two big-ass hunters in a big-ass horse box (which was about 2.2-2.5ton). Not a "German car" by any respect, but fairly quiet, comfortable, and (in her hands at least) bomb-proof. Rather American inside but I think they've come on a long way
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Mike wrote: What is of interest to my wife is the seating height and feeling of safety in her car, it's a very solid build unlike some of the far eastern SUV's we've experienced. Size is perfect for her, she can get into most car parking spaces and great all round visibility.
Cheers Mike, yes that is what she is looking for.

I'd only been put off Landrover as everyone kept mentioning disastrous engine problems in the Disco and RR but never thought about the Freelander. My Dad had one 7-8 years ago though and really liked it and it never missed a beat so will look into it.
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

hot66

Off Topic - SUV Recommendations Please!

Post by hot66 »

I put 100k on an original td4 freelander , only prob I had was a failed fuel pump. Not the most solid of feeling vehicles from the drivers seat though as the doors / side impact regions seem quite thin
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Also , if your looking at that size of car then also look at Toyota RAV and Honda CR-V
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

if you're not after a "serious 4x4" then something like the Nissan juke or the bigger one (can't remember the name) might be worth a look too? think they're about the best selling soft-roader in the uk..
Mike

Post by Mike »

The Freelander 2 is a completely different car to the original version. My wife likes it's presence, big front with the big lettering on the bonnet saying don't mess with me, but without the intimidating size of the RR/sport. We went through the same thing a few years ago, and found that all the others in that class didn't have the same build quality and sense of purpose. With the full leather interior which is bullet proof, the auto box and sat nav, it's a very high end feel, the Japanese stuff couldn't come close, all very lightweight and plasticy.

You want the 19" wheels but make sure the tyres are new or very good, prone to road noise otherwise. 70,000 on ours and apart from normal servicing only ever changed the discs, can't recommend it enough, my wife loves it, big load carrying capacity and relativity economical, she'll miss it when I chop it in for a Macan......
cheers, Mike.

previously..
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
Goodwood
DDK addict

Post by Goodwood »

+1 for the CR-V, i really rated it, spacious, big boot, well appointed and relatively good value. Drove one for a year as the family car including holidays and had zero problems.
Also drove a Dacia Duster in France (they are hugely popular in Europe), much better than some Peugeot rentals i have driven, i was seriously impressed - has to be the best value new car available.