Off Topic - SUV Recommendations Please!

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Off Topic - SUV Recommendations Please!

Post by 964RS »

Wife wants a change of cars. We don't need a 7 seater anymore but she likes being a bit higher up so considering an 'SUV'.

It will be second hand, preferably diesel, something cheap to maintain and reliable.

She's not hugely fussy on make if it meets these criteria as she just trashes them anyway...

Probably £7-15k and the cheaper the better! :lol:

So what are peoples experiences here? What would you recommend and what would you definitely not recommend!

Landrover is probably out simply as I hear more about their engines going than I do water cooled Porsches!
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Sam

Re: Off Topic - SUV Recommendations Please!

Post by Sam »

My top tip would be: Don't get an SUV.

Mrs Sam convinced me to swap our trusty workhorse of a Sharan for a blingy new Tiguan 6 months ago. It's somehow too big on the outside to fit in car park spaces, but no bigger inside than a Golf. It's genuinely impressive how space inefficient it is.

It's nice on the motorway, but I wish we'd just got an estate car.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
964RS

Post by 964RS »

I already have an e39 540 touring for the dog Sam......although I'll be moving that on if anyone wants one......

She likes to be high up though so estate car is out, but hear what your saying...
Jason

Sam

Post by Sam »

964RS wrote:I already have an e39 540 touring for the dog Sam......although I'll be moving that on if anyone wants one......

She likes to be high up though so estate car is out, but hear what your saying...
The high position was a thing for Mrs Sam too. Girls are stoopid.

Is the 540 manual? #wishfulthinking
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
964RS

Post by 964RS »

No m-sport auto. It's bloody quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason

hot66

Post by hot66 »

As much as I hate to say it , look at Kia and Hyundai ... Sister and my dad have run 4x4 of these for years with no probs
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

Amies 2.0d x3 is a great piece of kit but they might be over your budget still.. Have genuinely been impressed with it although will prob get traded in for something sportier next time..
If you're near anytime drop in and have a look around it
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Cheers Ben. She does like the Kia Sportage....for her sins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason

Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

Sam, the Evoque is the same as the Tiguan,

How about a Yeti?
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
rvzz
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rvzz »

A few of my mates wife's have got Sportages . They like them .

They all know the same girl who works in the dealership and gets them some sort of Family deal that knocks a very big lump off the money . Might be worth a look .
Russ...

'73E 3.0

Clean living under difficult circumstances
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

amie tried an evoque and hated it - about the same size as an x3 on the outside, but terrible visibility (for her - she's 5ft7 and mostly legs) and cramped on the inside. Mrs 964RS might find the visibility even worse as I think she's a bit shorter than Mrs Smallspeed?
We couldn't get our big dog in the boot of the evoque either (little one would fit in the centre arm-rest :lol: ) just felt like it was style over substance through and through..

My sister has a Hyundai (can't remember - small hatchback thing) and loves it - very cheap to run and so far completely reliable. Its hard to ignore them at the price, which includes the cost of servicing too.. I was amazed when I took it for a main-dealer service (the middle one) for her while she was pregnant. Did it while I had a coffee and charged £165 all in! I'm used to BMW having to bring someone out of retirement, then taking a week and charging £500 to do mine :(

At the same time as buying her X3 Amie also tried -

The small VW one (tiguan? ) which was pretty good, but neither of us could stand the "hard" VAG interiors
Audi A3 - seemed like it had nothing to offer over the VW except the list price and the badge, although to be fair we didn't look that hard
Both of these have been updated since so may be better than before, but I'm guessing in your budget you'll be looking at the older shape anyway

Mini Countryman - I've had minis and loved them but Amie wasn't impressed with the countryman, HOWEVER she's just (last weekend) test driven the new one which came out at the start of the year and it seems a different animal - I think this (cooper s / works) is probably what she'll end up with when her X3 is ready to go back in 6mo

X5 (latest) - Loved it, but too big and found it harder to park/manoeuvre than the x3
Defender - She didn't enjoy driving it at all, but still really wants one :lol: girls eh?!...
G-Wagen - (a friends G63) loved it, can't afford one!
mycar

Post by mycar »

We hired a Dacia Duster on Hols. It was very good. Seriously.

You can probably buy 2 new ones within the top end of your budget. :)
rvzz
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rvzz »

Or a V8 RR Vogue , Aur Maud's on her third one now , loves it .
Russ...

'73E 3.0

Clean living under difficult circumstances
Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

I'm in the same boat at present (and want to be able to easily tow a raly car) - getting narrowed down to a Kia Sorento - Manual diesel. My budget is a lot less than yours .... but I hear good feedback on them from real owners !

Tried a Hyundai Santa Fe yesterday , ok apart from feel of gearbox (could have been a "bad" example ??) - reasonable value for money ... same family as Kia , but not the same driving experience.
Royal Enfield .. still in India
GL 1800 Tour DCT, for pleasure / Fantic 240 Professional - play
Rally 911 (1966) build parked for a while
Rally 928 (work started again - inc serious weight loss programe !)
.... and now another VW Up GTI owner.
Burma-Shave
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Burma-Shave »

+1 for a dacia duster all day long, cheap, trashable, cool.

-1 for an Evoque or other similar white 2.0d WAG trinketry.

I am not going to suggest a Cayenne even though I feel a bit smug about mine. Yes it is 35mpg from a porsche V8, 5 way air suspension, big and tough inside and out, 4 heated seats and a heated auto-retracting wheel. And I paid 5.5 bags, it is cheap to tax as it is pre-2006, and costs 150 to insure.

But yes it is 14 years old, has a list of electronic systems longer than Houston, and I am almost certainly on borrowed time :-)

So a Dacia duster then.
1990 964 C4, 1999 Boxster 2.5
And..'89 BMW E30 325i Touring. '83 Mercedes 280E. '84 Citroen 2CV. '16 BMW i3 REx. '03 BMW R1100S. '99 Yamaha R1. '79 BMW R100 scrambler.

Member#0336