67 4 speed with a few upgrades

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

Bathtub57
Married to the DDK

Re: 67 4 speed with a few upgrades

Post by Bathtub57 »

gooders wrote:They look really good and fill the arch much better, what does a set of Brockleys cost? Where did you get them fitted? I need to get a larger set of tyres for my car.
Thanks - they do look loads better. I bought these on offer when they first brought them out a few months ago. KS fit them to his car so I went on that recommendation. Here's the link http://www.blockleytyre.com/page2.htm#prices
They are a lot cheaper than Pirelllis.

I got them fitted at a tyre place in Windsor, they are really good as they are classic Ferrari enthusiasts, they spent over an hour fitting them. Let me know if you want the contact details.
Mark Paine
A whole bunch of old VW's
1957 356
1991 964
Panamera GTS
Bathtub57
Married to the DDK

Post by Bathtub57 »

hot66 wrote:Looks great ,... But it will look superb once you get the nose down and loose the rs front spoiler 8)
Couldn't agree with you more! It's on the list.
Mark Paine
1957 356
1991 964
Panamera GTS
Seven
DDK above all

Post by Seven »

gooders wrote:They look really good and fill the arch much better, what does a set of Brockleys cost? Where did you get them fitted? I need to get a larger set of tyres for my car.
Gooders, I have just posted in the 911 section about my experience at Blockley Tyres today which was really positive. I'm looking foward to getting my set scrubbed in and seeing if they handle as well as they look!
1968 Porsche 912
1960 Vespa 150
Bathtub57
Married to the DDK

Post by Bathtub57 »

I'm not quite sure I know what scrubbing in means but I'm driving with caution for a while. I've done about 80 miles on them now and so far they are great. Have a 100 mile drive planned for tomorrow to see the folks up in LB.
Mark Paine
1957 356
1991 964
Panamera GTS
Bathtub57
Married to the DDK

Post by Bathtub57 »

I did two quick little jobs today and one slow little job.

First off I fitted a quarter light mirror as being LHD I felt like I need the extra help. I bought a 3" mirror for a Morris Minor, although I'm sure that was just a marketing gimmick. I remember these from the 80's Cal Look scene, we used to call them peep mirrors. Anyway, I should have bought a 4" one so will add that to the shopping list.

In the pic you can see the window trim piece has been painted, it's on my list to replace or rechrome these.

I then checked out the heating which is not working. Luckily everything was there. One side the cable end had come detached so I found a cable clamp from my VW stash and sorted that. The other side the tube had come detached so again used a VW jubilee clip I had to sort this. A good easy and cheap win.

Last off I tried to sort out the loose drivers side headlight. I had this same problem on the last car. The top part of the light doesn't sit right and a good speed bump can cause the lamp to part company with the car, as was the case in the last car. Anyway lots of fett long later and it is now OK but not great. I think it needs someone with more patience than me to sort this.
Mark Paine
1957 356
1991 964
Panamera GTS
Bathtub57
Married to the DDK

Post by Bathtub57 »

My drive today didn't get off to the best start as after filling up I couldn't get started and very quickly the battery was dead. Anyway very helpful guy jump started me and the rest of the day was great.

Had a slight bit of fun when I put my foot down at one point and with the newly connected heating in full effect the cabin was filled with an assortment of paint flakes, dust, sand and half chewed shells! Heating is brilliant by the way, good hot air to the screen and had to shut off the footwell vents as it got way too hot.
Mark Paine
1957 356
1991 964
Panamera GTS
Bathtub57
Married to the DDK

Post by Bathtub57 »

Good to bump into Rich and Peter yesterday, my DDK inspiration is alive and kicking now!

I noticed this today which has accelerated my plans for lowering...

I think you could say that bush is shot!

Charging is still a problem so going to try changing out the regulator for a Bosch one and see if that helps.

Picking up trim on Wednesday.

All else aside I am loving the car and had a brilliant drive this morning and have volunteered to do the school run today into the Great Park.
Mark Paine
1957 356
1991 964
Panamera GTS
SeanP
I luv DDK!

Post by SeanP »

Don't go to low as they handle like cack.

Elephant racing rubber for those bushes are a good bet, failing that you could get some poly bushes from design911
1966 912
1969 912/6 hotish rod in build
1974 914 Dead
LI 125 Lambretta (Yeah right it’s a 125)
Mini Cooper s
Bathtub57
Married to the DDK

Post by Bathtub57 »

SeanP wrote:Don't go to low as they handle like cack.

Elephant racing rubber for those bushes are a good bet, failing that you could get some poly bushes from design911
Don't worry I'll leave the slamming for my VW's! I'm going for Euro height rather than US. I had poly bushes on the last car and they squeaked like hell and were hugely annoying. Will look at Elephant.

See you Wednesday.
Mark Paine
1957 356
1991 964
Panamera GTS
TomB
DDK Fanatic

Post by TomB »

very nice

looks so much better on its new wheels and boots
Bathtub57
Married to the DDK

Post by Bathtub57 »

Max sent me a couple of pictures of some recent upgrades I've had done. I think she is starting to look a lot better now.

New correct front bumper fitted.

Ride height adjusted.

Bumper, quarter and side trims refitted.

I'm collecting interior parts and currently have front and rear seats. I need a dash top and door cards now. Once I can get a hold of them we'll fit a new headlining, window rubbers with trim and should be pretty much there. Not that they are ever finished.
Mark Paine
1957 356
1991 964
Panamera GTS
hot66

Post by hot66 »

What a difference 8). Does look superb now
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
danny
DDK forever

Post by danny »

Looking sweet Mark :)
'67 912
Bathtub57
Married to the DDK

Post by Bathtub57 »

Thanks fellas, I'm really pleased with the progress. Hopefully we can get the window rubbers done this week.

I've spent some time looking at interior parts and thinking about which way to go. Other than the retire the only thing that is actually wrong is that the front seats have been replaced. I do have a pair of '68 seats which will work perfectly, I just don't have the runners that fit to the seats so am on the hunt for 4 of those (anyone?).

I could keep it as is but it looks daft, perhaps with totally blacked out glass I could get away with it..
I could get a full retrim and am going to get some prices for this - going this route will enable me to do a little customisation like tartan or dogs tooth inlays which I think would look cool.
I've also been looking at a Lakewell replacement which works out around £3,000 which doesn't seem like a bad option.

Looking forward to Stanford Hall more than ever now.
Mark Paine
1957 356
1991 964
Panamera GTS
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

Hi Mark,

Just noticed your car has the same front seats as mine. Albeit mine are original black leather (VGC) and not an anaphylactic shock retrim.
I've got some 67 front seats to replace mine too, but have rather elaborate, strange and over engineered runners on my old seats, so need the two rails that fit to the floor also.
I'm curious to know if you have the same seat runners on your grey seats as I do on mine?
They are well engineered but over engineered and some one or some company has gone to town on making these things.
@classiccarguru1