1971 911 T Il Cacciatore

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Diecastinvestor
DDK Seasoned Poster

Re: 1971 911 T Il Cacciatore

Post by Diecastinvestor »

So the car has finally arrived from the US and given that it was bought unseen I think I have been very lucky. Having had a bit of a sort out its doesn't look too bad at all. Its far from concourse but certainly a good starting point for my first project.

While sorting the car I found a mint owners manual in the glove box along with a wallet with lots of old receipts. Having had a long conversation with Nick at Redtec about getting the engine done I was expecting to find Solex carbs in situ but it actually had Webbers. I checked this with the previous owner who knows the original owner and apparently it came from the factory with these on.

I also found a single Fuchs alloy in the car so I now need to find another three to match. Being new to this old Porsche game I think this is a deep six, any info on this wheel to help me get a set would be useful. I will take the tyre off to see what date it has.

So now the work begins. The next stage is to finish stripping the car which was what the last owner started and did not finish. It appears to be fairly complete but there are some obvious things missing. Once the car is stripped it will then be off to be blasted back to bare metal so that the condition can be assessed. A decision will then need to be made depending on what needs to be done. I want to do as much as I can be I know my limitations.

The engine is going to Nick at Redtec and is going to be upgraded to 'S' spec to give it a bit more grunt. The rest of the car will be kept original.

I have taken a few more pictures now that I physically have the car.

Many thanks

Nick
Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Darren65 »

Exciting times, congrats :)

Your Fuch is indeed a deep 6, you don't need take the tyre off to check the date, this is stamped on the back......you can see where on this thread...viewtopic.php?f=5&t=51474&p=440075#p440075

Cheers,
haasad
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by haasad »

Love a resto to follow.

PM me if those grp rear flares are FS.

Andy
ddk member# 1527
Austin Healey 100/6, 1957 Fast Road ( now sold)
75 2.7 S backdated to "r" and very light (now sold).
Adria Camper
Buddy McCrae kneeboard.
Friar Tuck kneeboard.
Lots of Bicycles.
Diecastinvestor
DDK Seasoned Poster

Its been a while since the last update so here goes.

The car arrived at Southampton docks on schedule and was picked up by a chap who operates a company called Wallop Recovery who was very helpful and delivered on a very wet Friday just after Christmas in 2014. It was put in an old garage and there it sat until a few weeks ago. The reason for the hiatus was I quickly realised that nothing much was going to happen in its current location as it was far too small with no power other than an extension lead. I needed a bigger shed.

Fourteen months later one of the old barns has now been converted with new floors and a two post car lift and plenty of space and the car has now been moved to its new home and work has begun in earnest.

Over the past year I have done a few bits and pieces the instruments are with Reap Automotive and the steering wheel has been done by Julian Parr (currently the best thing on the car).

There was plenty of evidence that the car had at some point been the home to at least one rodent, and on removal of the petrol tank I found that one of the critters had traveled with the car along with its nest although its spirit had long departed this planet.

The seats are now out and I think a good weekend will see this back to a bare shell.

To be continued..................
Many thanks

Nick

Post by 911hillclimber »

That 'shed' will be bloody cold in the winter!

What a great amount of space to have for this. Have you poked at the obvious places yet on the shell?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Diecastinvestor
DDK Seasoned Poster

It does not look too bad from what I can see. I think the inner front wings can be repaired. It will need all the area done under the petrol tank as the mounting points have gone for the suspension. Two new front wings, two rear wings to get rid of those flares. Sills on both sides, door skins, rear cross member, possibly new bonnet.

Hopefully not too much work at the back.

I am going to strip it and then get it blasted with Decorrosion Services in Chertsey and then Chesterton Coach works will sort what needs to be done.

I have spoke to Nick at Redtek and I will more than likely use him for the engine and gearbox which I plan to upgrade.

The basic plan is it looks standard but has a bit more poke.

The shed was not to bad last winter and that was before the roller door went on. You cannot have too much space.
Many thanks

Nick
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

The shell will be in safe hands with John at Chestertons

Look forward to seeing how your car progresses

Mark
sladey

Post by sladey »

Shed is very cool. Very, very cool. I think you'll find your steering wheel restorer is Jonathan Parr not Julian? He does great work.

Looks like a great project
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
murph2309
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by murph2309 »

Just on the wheel, I think you have a deep six 'with hearts' (that's the bit around the valve), those were used up until Aug 70 (start of MY 71) when they went over to deep 6's 'without hearts' but that was only until about feb / march 71 when they went over to 'flat 6s'.

So if you want 'matching' for your car, it will depend on the build date of yours. Mine was crossover (built Sept 70) and had 'without hearts' on the car and 1 'with heart' as the spare - apparently this was because they had some 'hearts' left over and then used them as spares on the new car year....so Harvey Weideman told me anyway....
1971 2.2 S Targa viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37364
1978 3.0 SC Coupe
1970 VW Type 2 viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62339&p
jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jtparr »

sladey wrote:Shed is very cool. Very, very cool. I think you'll find your steering wheel restorer is Jonathan Parr not Julian? He does great work.

Looks like a great project

Hi Nick
Glad the wheel is looking that good..;)...look forward to seeing it matched by the rest of the car one day..!
All the best
Jonathan
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)