Opening Ceremony for the Olympics!

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Opening Ceremony for the Olympics!

Post by Gary71 »

I thought it was incredible. I see 'Sir' Boyle on the not to distant horizon!

Paul Mc was the only low light in the whole thing. All this stuff about celebrating youth then they drag him out to sing badly for 5 minutes, much like at the Diamond jubilee.

I noted the use of 'Jerusalem' as the English national anthem, it's about time this was official for Rugby matches etc, hairs on the back of the neck stuff :)
Nige

Post by Nige »

Yup mackers was the worst bit for me, can't stand him looks like a puffed up old lady. Anyways willing to overlook that minor issue as I thought the rest was bang on.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I was trying to avoid the last 5 mins in my opening gambit...
Dropped the ending off a cliff.

Why have such an ending, but why not someone more spectacular, there are loads to choose from.

Robbie Williams 'let me (London) entertain you' might have worked with far more vigour!

Anyway, all done now, so hope the sun shines for 16 days more.
Never watch a ceremony before, but I did actually go to the Munich games in 72, amazing thing to go to.

My Chinese work colleagues were watching, so it will be interesting to get their take on it all.

That rising crucible was simply ACE. :compress:
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Highfield
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Highfield »

Brilliant entertainment from start to end
Ian Highfield
Pre 73 1964 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT MSA Category 1 Rally Car
1992 964 C2 with RS Suspension setup and Sport Interior - SOLD
1973 911T (2.7 Carrera engine and loads of period mods - all steel) - SOLD
1986 Carrera Coupe (256bhp) - SOLD
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

... but very sad to see how much Mohammad Ali has deteriorated.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
chris hak
DDK slapper chatter

Post by chris hak »

Superb spectacle and incredibly innovative. The imagination of D Boyle et al is beyond belief. Watching the preview on Thursday, I also thought the winged cyclists would be cringeworthy, but on the night, in the dark, they looked amazing.
Only downsides were the inclusion of the Arctic Monkeys (along with the Ting Tings, I could never understand why they were considered the future of British music) and the athletes marching on at the end took FOREVER. I went to bed far too late as a result!
Oh, and did anybody else pick up on the unfortunate waving action of the German VIP when his team marched past...?
3.2 Carrera
Mike

Post by Mike »

chris hak wrote:Only downsides were the inclusion of the Arctic Monkeys
Don't know how old you are Chris but I suspect it's an age thing! Ask any guy in his early twenties and they will say
it was one of the best parts of it, the Artics along with Dizzee Rascal defined a generation growing up and coming of
age in the past decade, the same age as most of the athletes and the young men and women of today that Danny
Boyle was so keen to highlight as our future.
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I really enjoyed it ..... apart from everything being announced in French 1st !!!! :evil: I've got a good idea why this was the case, but for me it undermined things slighlty
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

French is the official language of the IOC
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Bootsy wrote:French is the official language of the IOC
also supposedly at the games it's : mother language, french then english .... but in our case, because our mother language is English they couldn't have english, french , English, so went with French, English

I do realise the founder of Modern Olympic movement was French & the IOC is based in Switzerland , but it still grates hearing everything in French 1st
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Highfield
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Highfield »

chris hak wrote: Oh, and did anybody else pick up on the unfortunate waving action of the German VIP when his team marched past...?
Yes that was 'funny'.

I liked the Arctic Monkeys, and I am 'old' :-) but not Macca at the end. Something in the ceremony for all ages and a triumph over all.

Ian
Ian Highfield
Pre 73 1964 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT MSA Category 1 Rally Car
1992 964 C2 with RS Suspension setup and Sport Interior - SOLD
1973 911T (2.7 Carrera engine and loads of period mods - all steel) - SOLD
1986 Carrera Coupe (256bhp) - SOLD
chris hak
DDK slapper chatter

Post by chris hak »

Mike wrote:
chris hak wrote:Only downsides were the inclusion of the Arctic Monkeys
Don't know how old you are Chris but I suspect it's an age thing! Ask any guy in his early twenties and they will say
it was one of the best parts of it, the Artics along with Dizzee Rascal defined a generation growing up and coming of
age in the past decade, the same age as most of the athletes and the young men and women of today that Danny
Boyle was so keen to highlight as our future.
I'm the first to admit I'm not in the first flush of youth Mike, but I like to think I've still got a good taste in contemporary guitar based rock music, of which I think Muse are the best modern exponents of the genre. I even have a soft spot for one of Alex Turners other projects, The Last Shadow Puppets, but I can't even pretend to like I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor (and I gave up pretending to like / not like fashionable / unfashionable bands a long time ago!).

Oh well, I guess I'll have to pour myself a Sanatogen and drop another Easy Listening album onto the turntable!

By the way, another observation - has anyone on here ever seen Paul McCartney and the Churchill dog in a room together at the same time...?

And another thing...watching the archery this morning, I don't think I've EVER seen such a complex bit of kit as those bows, they make a 918 look about as sophisticated as a soap-box cart. How on earth would Robin Hood have carried one of those round Sherwood Forest?
3.2 Carrera
Fitz
DDK above all

Post by Fitz »

I thought it was great, glued to the telly right to the end! When Paul Mc was doing the "just the guys, now just the girls" bit did anyone else want him to say "Now just the royals!" :wink:

Ihope to get the reaction from our work Polish contingent on Monday.

One thing struck me during the music section...do you think that if The Sex Pistols had ever thought that one day their music would become so "establishment" as to be included in an Olympic opening ceremony they would have bothered in the first place? :lol:
Anthony.

'66 RHD 912
jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

Enjoyed watching the Opening Ceremony, some great moments.....I am proud enough to say that I designed the French footwear for the team parade, I am even more proud to say that I had nothing to do with the German team outfit...

Yesterday at work we had an Olympic day. Great family day and a big effort was made to make it as British and Cliche as possible...

Ropey looking Royal family look-alikes

Though this shot of 'Camilla' is priceless (she was hammered!)

Chris
# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1968 912/11 RAL 7001 ' MOD ROD '
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
1991 VW Vanagon GL (SOLD - Vanagone)
2017 Coleman CT200U

“It’s not where you’re from, it's where you’re at”
Northy
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Northy »

Nige wrote:Yup mackers was the worst bit for me, can't stand him looks like a puffed up old lady. Anyways willing to overlook that minor issue as I thought the rest was bang on.
Ha ha Nige, that's what my wife said. "He looks like a menopausal woman"... :lol: