Opening Ceremony for the Olympics!

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

We did well I think. :bounce:

Torch was simply stunning is so many tech and visual ways. :)
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Opening Ceremony for the Olympics!

Post by bjmullan »

It was fantastic. Danny Boyle hit it in the head :) It was what makes Britain great :)
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

I thought it was ace - nailed it.

I reckon much of it went over the heads of non-brits as the references, the film clips ("Kes", ffs) were very british but it was human, inclusive, funny, moving and played up the past, the present and 4 nations: loved the fact that they had 7 old athletes (Lyn Davies, Mary Peters) hand over the flame. It was brilliant that so much got a "nod" of recognition: Doreen Lawrence, the really old medal winners, for example, as well as the musical artists (although why they resorted to U2 as the athletes came out i don't know)

I welled up a few times.Those widgets on the seats were really effective as a backdrop

Would love to know how they got the flame there really: you can go up the river the Limehouse basin but there's a lock either side of that and then locks at 3 Mills on the Limehouse Cut: even more if they went Grand Union and then Hertford canal. Be lovely if that's what they did but am guessing they took it overland a bit
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Tosh wrote:I thought it was ace - nailed it.

Would love to know how they got the flame there really: you can go up the river the Limehouse basin but there's a lock either side of that and then locks at 3 Mills on the Limehouse Cut: even more if they went Grand Union and then Hertford canal. Be lovely if that's what they did but am guessing they took it overland a bit
Very good point!
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
mycar

Post by mycar »

Of all the millions of people around the world who watched the opening ceremony, there must have been a couple who wondered... ' What are all those people doing in bed.... the British are indeeed a very lazy people' :lol:

Mike.
Barry

Post by Barry »

:lol:

Brilliant in all respects, watched all the way through with plenty of sound (and bass) which really was a very important componant of the evening.

Those that know me will have noticed a little bit of moonlighting carried out my myself ( :roll: ). Then again, those that know me also are aware that my little part will have streched my keyboard skills to the max :lol: . Thought I'd get that in first ....

Seems that the world-wide reception is pretty positive so far, and what amazes me is that it was done for £27 million, which (thinking of film budgets, and the fact that as a country we're borrowing more than ten times that a day), seems an absolute steal, particularly given the 1bn audience.

Wonderful :) .
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Didn't watch it live as was watching my little girl at the Theatre as she reaches the end of her Oliver performances (5 more to go!)

Catching up on it this morning and seems a hell of a spectacle and how refreshing to be listening to universal positive feedback - makes a change in GB

And yes Barry, your part was great!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

I was most impressed by the queen parachuting out of a helicopter :shock: :lol:
Also the music section - I've always thought we have the best bands and musicians in the world..

Awesome! Bring on the events!
Nige

Post by Nige »

Watched it all which was the first time I've managed to go through a whole ceremony from start to finish.

We thought it was excellent. Beijing was far more spectacular though faceless but ours was far more entertaining and personal.
KS

Post by KS »

Kenneth Branagh, Rowan Atkinson, Daniel Craig – masterful additions to an incredible show. I really was fearing the worst, praying it wasn't going to come across as all tacky, but it was simply great. Well done all! :cheers:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

Sorry to buck the trend, but I was underwhelmed. Maybe I missed the best part when I slept for an hour :roll:
In the bits that I did see I wondered how 'foreigners' would understand.....
£27millions :shock: or £128,500 per minute.

The more interesting bits start now - the competitions, which is what the Games are all about! Faster, higher, longer
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
Ian 2.2S
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian 2.2S »

Not something I had intended to watch or was particularly interested in, but... couldn't stop watching. Not the usual cheesy spectacular for spectacular sake. Thought it was great and witty, would love to know what non-brits thought of it (I accept it might have been difficult for them to get many of the references).
Nige

Post by Nige »

Exactly Ian, whilst it did have the pomp and ceremony in the right places it was pure entertainment otherwise. Past ceremonies have all been about national chest pumping, although spectacular they tend to be dull and faceless.

Good ol Liz and Bond sky diving in was pure class, no other nation can do that!
left4dead

Post by left4dead »

Like Keith I was fearing the worst especially after the 50 second clip released by the BBC on Thursday evening (lots of people in sparkly jump suits dancing to Tiger Feet and people riding bicycles with flapping angel wings). In hindsight maybe that was a way of controlling expectations. Turned the TV on at 20:15 not realising there would be a pre show show and once I saw the green fields, the ferris wheel, the sheep (!) and the Elgar started I welled up and remained glued to the tele until the end. Underwhelmed by the McCartney performance - not helped by initial technical issues - but hell, was a phenomenal show overall. Redgrave admitted to some pre record for his torch bearing stint this morning which would explain the Beckham boat/basin business.

V.proud to be British this morning and that's not something I often feel in this day & age.

Right, the road race just started. Go Cav!!!! :)
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

I particularly liked the rise of the chimneys in the industrial revolution section, the lighting of the Olympic flame was superb, oh, and Barry on the keyboard was ace :lol:

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/