New French taxation system...

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

New French taxation system...

Post by KS »

€29,000 emissions tax on a new 911? Ouch. :shock:

https://www.evo.co.uk/hot-hatchbacks/20 ... y-mean-for
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
911hillclimber

Re: New French taxation system...

Post by 911hillclimber »

A bad move for us all imho, good money to the Governments and a big thumbs up for the environment and votes.

Getting the street clean is one thing, pollution from generating power?

Taken from above:

The approach taken by the French authorities is on the draconian side, although someone paying €29,070 in CO2 tax for a V8 Mustang in 2021 might have stronger words to use, but it will also fuel debate about whether similar penalties should be adopted by other countries. After all, if you want to drive people into zero-tailpipe-emissions vehicles, what better way than taxing them out of cars that produce emissions at street level?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Another reason to get any ICE sports car itches scratched sooner rather than later!
hot66

Post by hot66 »

As this is a new car sales tax .. it could lead to some interesting high performance EV vehicles coming out of France though ?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Hence the Renault/Lotus venture
Sam

Post by Sam »

It’s been way worse than that in Norway for some time. 0% tax on EVs and I think up to 100% on really polluting stuff like Lambo/Rolls/Bentley 4x4s.

And it works - most of the new cars now sold in Norway are EVs, houses are all getting charge points etc etc.

We’ll follow suit soon enough I’m sure.

Most of our electricity is being generated by renewables now and it’s rising.

As someone who thinks those Lambo/Bentley/Rolls 4x4s are a sad microcosm of how we’ve completely lost touch with the basics of efficient engineering and respect for others I say bring it on. I’m hopeful the last hurrah of the petrol car will be a screamy sub 850kg 200bhp turbo charged 1 litre three pot sports car.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Surlysurdi
DDK Newbie

Post by Surlysurdi »

God help us ICE boys, enjoy while you can!
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Sam wrote:
And it works - most of the new cars now sold in Norway are EVs, houses are all getting charge points etc etc.
Car industry statistics claim 54% cars sold in Norway in 2020 were EV.
Rust Never Sleeps
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

It is all becoming an 'irresistible force'.
As on various other recent threads on this sort of topic, as all countries advance the conversion for the masses, will the electricity supply be enough?

It is not just cars, but the biggest pollutant, home heating using gas.

When homes start to get 'taxed' the demand will be huge for conversion to elec, the conversion industry will be a very big employer, another useful by-product of this race to clean power.
A windmill on everyone's roof.

Are renewable 'volts' as cheap as current supply?
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Sam

Post by Sam »

BILLY BEAN wrote:
Sam wrote:
Car industry statistics claim 54% cars sold in Norway in 2020 were EV.

Yep. First time it’s tipped over 50%.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Sam

Post by Sam »

[quote="911hillclimber"]It is all becoming an 'irresistible force'.
As on various other recent threads on this sort of topic, as all countries advance the conversion for the masses, will the electricity supply be enough?[/qoute]

Yes. It will. The national grid has repeatedly confirmed this. Peak electricity demand was in something like 2002. It’s been falling since as stuff’s getting more efficient. Many cars will charge overnight. People are less likely to be going to big office blocks in the future. Etc. Etc.

Carefully built new houses (lots of insulation, air tight barriers, triple glazed, heat recovery and all that) need 10 times less energy to heat than what we have been building.

And, of course, we have a lovely new coal mine coming to the Lake District so if we run low on leccy we can just burn some of that. ☹️
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

That interesting Sam, thank you.
My daughter and hubby are up grading their '80s semi with tons of all that and a huge recovery system.
They both work in commercial property so are up to speed on future thinking.

Not a lot of this stuff gets to the public domain does it?
Maybe it is because it is a positive not not of much interest.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Sam wrote: And, of course, we have a lovely new coal mine coming to the Lake District so if we run low on leccy we can just burn some of that. Image
Much as I’m a petrol dinosaur and I’m personally responsible for large Bentley SUV programmes this mine does seem backwards in the extreme.
Sam

Post by Sam »

911hillclimber wrote:That interesting Sam, thank you.
My daughter and hubby are up grading their '80s semi with tons of all that and a huge recovery system.
They both work in commercial property so are up to speed on future thinking.

Not a lot of this stuff gets to the public domain does it?
Maybe it is because it is a positive not not of much interest.
Bearing in mind housebuilders make 30% profit margins it’s a bit daft that we’re not insisting on higher levels of efficiency that might only add 5% to costs.

Solar panels are well under £100 now but there’s minimal requirement for them in building regs. Triple glazing sourced from abroad can be had cheaper than the shite double glazing Velfac make here but because regs don’t require it most folk assume it’s not and don’t look into it.

There’s a lot of inertia in building, it’s much quicker and easier, and therefore cheaper, just to build things exactly as you have done for 25 years so unless you have considered clients like your daughter or the government raise minimum standards nothing changes.

It’s starting to slowly shift naturally, just like electric cars it’s top-down. People are increasingly expecting high value new builds to be energy efficient, parking their Tesla on the drive of their eco house goes down very well when Rupert and Chloe’s friends parent’s come round, but at the more affordable end it will take blunt action from government to expedite change. Just like with cars.
arminius
DDK Fanatic

Post by arminius »

Sam is there any chance you would start a thread on your house build? Would be interested to see how the game has moved on. I remember visiting Velfac, I didnt buy their windows.