Personalised Plate Registration

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Layercake
DDK above all

Personalised Plate Registration

Post by Layercake »

I recently registered my 356C and received the V5C.

Prior to registering the car I spoke to Swansea and mentioned that I would like to place a private plate on the car, the lady explained that if I wanted to do this I would have to have an MOT conducted prior to registration. I was not thrilled at the idea of having someone poking around under the freshly restored car or yanking on the handbrake to test the brakes, even though I have everything dialled in fairly well or as well as a 56 year old car will allow.

She mentioned that if I register the car, take the age related plate and then change over then I would not need an MOT if I do that process.
This seemed a bit around the houses but if it avoided the trouble of an MOT it was worth it.

I contacted the DVLA today to say I would now like to now go through the process of placing the private plate onto the car, spoke to someone different this time, I have been told that the car will need an MOT if I want to place a private plate on the car, different information from before.

Has anyone any experience of this?
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Personalised Plate Registration

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I imported a '68 Lancia Fulvia 1.3HF into the UK from the Netherlands ~ 6 months ago & got it registered without an MOT.

I then bought another cheap (slightly more memorable) '68 registration number which I applied to have transferred onto the car - DVLA then informed me that I would need to get the car MOT'd.

I got the MOT & submitted it along with the application which was then successful

So, in short. it seems as though you will have to get an MOT.

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Layercake
DDK above all

Post by Layercake »

Thanks Andy,

Seems an odd thing to have to do to place a private plate, dont really know the reasoning behind it, neither does the person I spoke to in the DVLA.
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Not only do you now need an MOT to transfer a private plate on to it...........you also need to have an MOT to take if off, if you want to one day, put it on retention.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Which makes some sense otherwise wrecks / identities of old cars would be bought up just to transfer the reg
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

All the guys in the NSRA were doing that for years until auntie DVLA put the mokkers on it. Regs like OO1932 on a sweet 1932 model B rod and I'm sure KS knows of quite a few VWs so adorned.
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail