356 Registry Site

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

simon james
DDK slapper chatter

356 Registry Site

Post by simon james »

I’m no longer a member of the registry.
I was however, still able to access their website and peruse the odd article.
Just tried this morning and now I am being told I “do not have permission”.
Has anybody else noticed this phenomenon?

One could argue that being so secretive could discourage potential new members from actually seeing how good or bad the club is before deciding whether to join or not.
It doesn't matter if you speak your mind, because those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.......!
Lusting after a 30/98, will settle for a 23/60.
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: 356 Registry Site

Post by mycar »

There seems to have been a unilateral decision made to shut the site off from Google searches.

As you can imagine there is a bit of a furore going on the forum.

Men with pitchforks are looking for someone called Curt.
mycar

Post by mycar »

Meanwhile, remember this pic I posted on Porsche pic of the day...

It's for sale on BAT. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/porsc ... -tool-kit/

Presently at $7,900 there is a 4 page thread on the Registry that calls into question nearly every item's authenticity.

The seller makes 'no guarantees ' and yet the bids continue to climb.

It would be better if the Registry thread were available for all to see but for now, buyer beware.
Last edited by mycar on Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Kneeslider »

I noticed that the Google search functions seemed to have vanished a few weeks ago, but it was still possible to read forum threads from the main page. Now that has gone too.

I found that the Registry forums were a very usefull source of information when I was restoring my car, and I was considering joining up just for this, but that is all I would be interested in. I wonder if they would consider a smaller membership fee so that you just had access to the forums?
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

DDK content has never been indexed within Google - if we opened it up we would be swamped with new users asking one off questions and selling stuff.

Obviously would take more management but would attract new people

I've always preferred to let people find out about the site through word of mouth etc
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

mycar wrote:Meanwhile, remember this pic I posted on Porsche pic of the day...

It's for sale on BAT. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/porsc ... -tool-kit/

Presently at $7,900 there is a 4 page thread on the Registry that calls into question nearly every item's authenticity.

The seller makes 'no guarantees ' and yet the bids continue to climb.
It's not hard to see why a new generation of enthusiasts might be put off 'all things old Porsche' when they see this level of detail nerdiness......
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
Adrian3
Married to the DDK

Post by Adrian3 »

i'm still a member...i did ask whether a forum-only membership was possible but didn't hear back, presumably not
Adrian Rendle
simon james
DDK slapper chatter

Post by simon james »

I would say DDK is just right, from the way it’s kind of recommendation only (yet accessible to all), the varied posts and more importantly the people, from all walks of life and with varied interests but united by a common thread!
The Registry is indeed in danger of alienating newcomers. A club full of Uppity Crusties talking about values and cheese head screws does them no favours and attracts no-one. Especially now it’s all so cloak and dagger!
Before too long you’ll need to be over 70 to join.
Controversial I know, but it would be nice if the market fell apart so some of the youngsters could come along and grab themselves a nice car.
Would they be bothered about toolkits and cheese head screws?
I doubt it. They’d probably convert to electric.
Long Live DDK! :cheers:
It doesn't matter if you speak your mind, because those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.......!
Lusting after a 30/98, will settle for a 23/60.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I've also let my 356 Membership expire. There are lots of knowledge people on there but it can be a strange place. I find the community on the 912 Registry much friendlier and helpful.

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
3ftDeep
DDK above all

Post by 3ftDeep »

Interestingly (or not) I was going to ask about the 356 Registry; being annoying that you can't see anything and was it worth the fee - what did you get for this? This thread kind of answers my question. I'm one of the people being put off from joining.

I prefer it here : )
1959 356A T2 RHD.
Original UK - 500th AFN sale.
Vin 108544
Original engine 1600cc standard - P75269 (missing)
Current engine 1955 1500cc - P35778
Car is awaiting restoration.
Originally silver with red interior
Many oxide induced ventilation holes.
mycar

Post by mycar »

I would say that if you have a 356 then it's well worth joining the Registry, if only for a year to see if you like it.. The club magazine is a high quality publication and the forum is busy and can be incredible useful.

It looks like the move to remove the forum from Google searches has been the unintended consequence of other work that's been carried out and normal service will resume soon.

Hopefully.
BD55
Married to the DDK

Post by BD55 »

I would also say it's worth joining, especially if you do a bit of work on your own car. The magazine is excellent in my opinion. The guys on the forum are always willing to help with info if you ask, some of them have a lifetime of experience with 356's. Each to their own, but it works for me.
64 356C
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

BD55 - I would also say it's worth joining, especially if you do a bit of work on your own car. The magazine is excellent in my opinion. The guys on the forum are always willing to help with info if you ask, some of them have a lifetime of experience with 356's. Each to their own, but it works for me.
A sensible suggestion by BD55 (in my opinion).
Once you have worked out who the guys are, that really know The Cars, it is a fantastic source of good information

Yes, there is a huge fight going on currently about (1) - the tempory banning of a well respected member (2) - the unintentional lack of Google exposure, due to a web change and (3) - what `appears to be` an autocratic, non communicating, group of trustees.

There is a trustee meeting next week so it will probably resolve itself in the next week or so - `Keep Calm & Carry On`
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Mike do you ever get frustrated by the lack of International Members on board? For a German car forum it's a very US centric registry?

As for Cliff being kicked off. He has always been very helpful and friendly to me but we agree not to talk about politics.

I also thought the registry treatment of Steve H wasn't right and generally agreed with his cause of a more open registry.

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
KS

Post by KS »

neilbardsley wrote:Mike do you ever get frustrated by the lack of International Members on board? For a German car forum it's a very US centric registry?
Same thing with the 914world forum - posts by those outside the 'clique' tend to get ignored... :roll:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel