Fuel pump

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

gallego
DDK Fanatic

Fuel pump

Post by gallego »

Good morning all. Where is the best place to source a fuel pump that fits it’s location in the front trunk please? All the ones being offered are too long!!!

Thanks

Jose
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Re: Fuel pump

Post by 914 KEV »

The 75-76 factory fuel pump is longer than the opening... it mounts to one side on the cover so you can put one end in first to get it to fit in the hole.
914 Daily driver since 1990
gallego
DDK Fanatic

Post by gallego »

Great - thank you for the information. OPC is about 300 - is that crazy money?
Saxon46
DDK addict

Post by Saxon46 »

Try just kampers
mark-- english lad in wales...where men are men and sheep are scared
84 carrera
gallego
DDK Fanatic

Post by gallego »

Will do - thanks!
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

gallego wrote:Great - thank you for the information. OPC is about 300 - is that crazy money?
Yes the one from Porsche Part No. 043 906 091 is very expensive and no longer available from Bosch.

The original 75-76 914 fuel pump was Bosch No. 0580 463 010 and had slide on spade connectors.
It was superseded to 0580 463 016 which has nuts to hold on the terminals and this fuel pump was used on the 912E and is easily adapted to spade connectors and is still avaliable.

There are many alternative Bosch and other make pumps available in the aftermarket.
The pump has a 12mm input with an 8mm output and is rated at 3 bar.

Try Buycarpartscouk they have a lot of choice... https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/oen/043906091
gallego
DDK Fanatic

Post by gallego »

Thanks for the advice. Not massively technical so not sure which to go for - if in doubt OEM?!?
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

gallego wrote:Thanks for the advice. Not massively technical so not sure which to go for - if in doubt OEM?!?
Was it running and now stopped working or do you have a project 914?
gallego
DDK Fanatic

Post by gallego »

Hi Kevin,

Yes, it was running fine until I bought a new battery from Halfords (don't laugh). It literally got home and ran out of petrol as it rolled into the garage. I would argue car is a good one and not really a project. If I could fathom out how to post pictures on here I would put some up.

Thanks again...jose
RichardJ
DDK Fanatic

Post by RichardJ »

Bosch have massively rationalised the range of these types of pumps over the years, mostly commonising the electrical and fuel fitting types. There used to be hundreds of different part numbers available, now relatively few. Most '80's to mid '90's Bosch electronically injected non turbo cars use the same spec of pump in terms of flow and pressure (3 bar). Many Vauxhalls from that era use pumps which are directly interchangeable with those used on the injected Type 4 and wasserboxer applications. You'll struggle to beat the price of a genuine Bosch one from Brickwerks https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/electric-f ... n-oem.html . OEM quality for a real world price. Lots of cheap unbranded copies available also, but my choice would always be a genuine Bosch.

I have nothing to do with Brickwerks (other then being an occasional customer), but have a lot to do with fuel pumps of this type in a different application, and usually point my customers towards Brickwerks for them because their price is good.
Regards,

RichardJ

1975 California spec 914 1.8 restoration project
1BHP
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 1BHP »

I bought and fitted this last year

http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=12704

I have pictures too somewhere, I can email if of use...
gallego
DDK Fanatic

Post by gallego »

Thanks all - went OEM in the end and paid the price. Fitted it and was very proud of myself until I turned her over and smelt a lot of fuel...completely forgot that I had changed from injection to carbs...doh!!! So if anyone want an OEM Bosch pump at a great knocked down price with only 30 seconds use - please mail me :shock:

Have asked the local garage to source a low pressure pump and deal with it so that I can actually get on and enjoy her!