Porsche 912: 50 Years

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

Seven
DDK above all

Porsche 912: 50 Years

Post by Seven »

Looking on Amazon I stumbled across a book called Porsche 912: 50 Years by Jürgen Lewandowski.

It is currently saying 'out of stock', but I had not heard of this book before and wondered if anyone had seen it or had a copy and if it was worth getting at £75.00?

Marcus
1968 Porsche 912
1960 Vespa 150
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Porsche 912: 50 Years

Post by KS »

Seven wrote:Looking on Amazon I stumbled across a book called Porsche 912: 50 Years by Jürgen Lewandowski.

It is currently saying 'out of stock', but I had not heard of this book before and wondered if anyone had seen it or had a copy and if it was worth getting at £75.00?

Marcus
It's only just been published in English - earlier versions were in German. Copies should be available in the next week or so. It promises to be very good.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
danny
DDK forever

Post by danny »

Received mine on Friday

Only got as far as getting it unwrapped...
looks great though :)

'67 912
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

Hmm, interesting. Not heard about this one before, Danny please let us know your thoughts once you have had time to take a flick through.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
C3s
DDK slapper chatter

Post by C3s »

Would also be interested to hear so i can see what the correct parts look like! My '66 had a '76 donor by the looks of it!
Seven
DDK above all

Post by Seven »

danny wrote:Received mine on Friday

Only got as far as getting it unwrapped...
looks great though :)

Looks great Danny! Where did you order it from out of interest?

Marcus
danny
DDK forever

Post by danny »

Marcus

got mine from Amazon
noticed it's showing as 'Temporarily out of stock' at the moment.
'67 912
Seven
DDK above all

Post by Seven »

danny wrote:Marcus

got mine from Amazon
noticed it's showing as 'Temporarily out of stock' at the moment.

Thanks very much Danny.

Do let us know your thoughts on the book when you get a chance to go through it.
rinkster
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by rinkster »

I ordered mine before Christmas and finally got it a few weeks ago. Great book, as in depth as you could possible want.

They are a limited edition run of 912 which is a nice touch. I spotted a few on ebay last week too, might be worth a look there.

Heres a link to the publishers.

http://www.delius-klasing.de/buecher/Po ... 22784.html

Cheers

Tim
KS

Post by KS »

UK link to buy is:
www.accdistribution.com/uk
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
912uk

Post by 912uk »

I did think this was odd that it wasn't commented on earlier.

This has been in talks since last October with German copies first as Kieth said and they are all sold out. Then the English copies, there has been some issues with stock from people on this. Amazon have been very hit and miss. With some people getting theirs and some not. I had one on order as far back as End of Oct/Nov.

I have 4 copies, with two going to mates in the US who have not been able to get copies. Even though they are on back order . Book depository who are owned by Amazon I have since found out. Have been promising delivery for months and have now refunded a number of people who had pre orders. It's become hot property to get one..

I got mine from Charters who are local ish and I had the only one copy Waterstones had UK wide! why only 1 ? I have no idea..So just reading into world wide comments on the book and the delivery it's been a bit of a stummble and stutter launch. So many outlets have offered the book for sale only to even have a copy! or their too busy saying the faithful computer said due date XXX and well.... I know that they are already out there and have been for some time.. if you see one grab it because they genuinely don't seem all that readily available if I am honest. I really had to hunt and call and hound to get the 4 copies I got. #129 is off to California #64 is off to Ohio #67 is never going to opened I will swap it for #69 as long as it's not opened if any one has it..

I know where number 12 is though :)

So is it worth it..

Well in general yes I think it is.. but is it anything new.. not overly..

Jeff Trask I think has been the most disappointed buyer of the book. Every one else has been quite positive. He was expecting more in depth details, more factory inside photo's and explanations. I can see his point. Some new material would have been good. But I think on the positive side it leaves the door firmly open for a second book, with more indepth details, current owners etc etc..

But then for a book that has now pushed the 912 to be a serious contender in the early Porsche world it's a bloody good start. £75, ouch well...... if your keen like me then yes.. in general.. I think it's a good book to buy, enjoy and keep.. yes.

Good luck on your search and please DO NOT bank on Amazon to have them.. too many people have been lead along only to then be told they don't have any coming..
912uk

Post by 912uk »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-912-5 ... SwwE5WU7G2

:? distasteful really at this stage..

if I heard of one come up as I had contacted so many book sellers!!! any one of about 6 said any stock that comes in they will call me first.. I'm happy to buy any that come my way you just pay what I pay or message me your number and details and I can pass them on to you..and between you, you can sort out the money and buy it.. Don't forget I would like to get #69 unopened please... I have #67 if you just happen to get 69 and own a 67 then I will swap :-)

Good luck folk!
912uk

Post by 912uk »

C3s wrote:Would also be interested to hear so i can see what the correct parts look like! My '66 had a '76 donor by the looks of it!
Well if your looking for a car with all the correct items don't look at the one used in the book. :? I am sure if that's just purist talk or if one should look to use the most accurate car as the main car of the book..

I guess Kieth's view on this would be interesting. As he's the book/magazine man. I can live with it as it tickles me to find all the parts that are not correct. But then the black and white photo's at the factory are going to be the correct photo's to study.
KS

Post by KS »

I've not seen it but my only comment is that, if you're doing a book which is a reference work (or purported to be), then the vehicle used for illustrative purposes needs to be correct, or at least, as accurate as possible. Magazines have short lead times (weeks at most) but books tend to have lead times of at least a year - usually more – so there ought to be time to find the definitive vehicle.

Having said that, I can guarantee that whatever gets put into print, someone, somewhere will find fault. After 40 years in magazine publishing, and with 14 books in and out of print, ask me how I know! :lol:
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
912uk

Post by 912uk »

I'm glad you pointed that out Keith. I know I shouldn't but here for the benefit of this conversation of evaluating the book.. is this photo of the car's engine bay. That is the main feature car of the book and is on the cover.

Clearly If the photo needs to be removed I can do so.. as it's from the book.