72911E
I luv DDK!

'74 Carrera RHD - Anyone here get it?

Post by 72911E »

'72 911E Coupe RHD
'72 911S Coupe RHD
yoda
I need to get out more!

Re: '74 Carrera RHD - Anyone here get it?

Post by yoda »

Nice colour combo and spec. Wonder what it went for and if it was sensible money.

Good to see there are still cars out there looking for a good home!
The force is strong in this one ......
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

It wasn't sold - the seller is verifying the original spec prior to re-advertising it.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Makes sense to confirm the original spec as he is claiming the car is matching numbers so interesting to hear what the colour was originally etc. Looks like it needs a full resto (and then some) so probably not an issue to return the car back to its original colour.

Anyone know anything else about the car?
The force is strong in this one ......
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

RS-911 car I believe?
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

The last four digits of the chassis number 0720 is quite high so it's very unlikely that it was built before the 1st of Jan '74, meaning the car won't be eligible for road tax exemption, unfortunately.
Guy
Married to the DDK

Post by Guy »

It is not one that has been on the PCGB register but engine number is spot on in the range to be original. Colour looks to be Gemini Metallic which was one of the 'special colours' available and interior is a rare blue Madras check.
1977 Carrera 3.0
1974 Carrera 2.7 in bits.
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

Guy wrote:It is not one that has been on the PCGB register but engine number is spot on in the range to be original. Colour looks to be Gemini Metallic which was one of the 'special colours' available and interior is a rare blue Madras check.

if it is as it says it is - its got to be a steal hasnt it? - 20 grand for the car, 20 grand for the resto and 10 grand for an engine rebuild... at 50k you've got to be in the money, even at 60 ( with a 20 grand engine build )

Disco
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

Disco wrote:
Guy wrote:It is not one that has been on the PCGB register but engine number is spot on in the range to be original. Colour looks to be Gemini Metallic which was one of the 'special colours' available and interior is a rare blue Madras check.

if it is as it says it is - its got to be a steal hasnt it? - 20 grand for the car, 20 grand for the resto and 10 grand for an engine rebuild... at 50k you've got to be in the money, even at 60 ( with a 20 grand engine build )

Disco
You need to be realistic with your restoration costs. This car looks as bad a Ferry Man's car in terms of rust. It has been stored outside and will need tens of thousands in the body restoration alone. Then there is paint on top of that. An engine and gearbox rebuild on a mag cased MFI motor could be well over £20K. I understand the owner want £30K, so you will not see change from £100K for a top restoration. Any lesser restoration will be a waste of time and money.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Disco wrote:
Guy wrote: 20 grand for the car, 20 grand for the resto and 10 grand for an engine rebuild...
…I think it'll be more like £10K plus in panels, £20K for the build, £10K for paint, £20k for the engine/gearbox and then about £25K for everything else…..oh, and then the cost of the car!!….I think Nick's being a tad optimistic! :wink:
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Ferryman has already let slip his panel cost alone on his thread at cica £15k. That's just to buy the panels.

This is really illustrating the point I made about a previous rare find (sorry Ian - Highfield) which effectively was (as I recall) a starting point well under £10k for a similar complete vehicle. I was slated at the time for even suggesting that a resto of (one of ONLY three remaining Rhd) would be the route of choice. That car is lost forever and even the engine (I think) has even been removed from the car it was intended for. How good is that deal looking now just a few years later.

I here time and time again "it's your car, do what you want" but occasionally it's good to stop and think of the long term rather than the short term gains. Sometimes it would be nice to try to be the custodians and proud keepers of the tradition of the marque for not only ourselves but future generations to enjoy, experience and cherish. Otherwise we are just going to end up looking at photographs on the 'Porsche pic of the day thread'.

I don't know anything about this car for sale but I've read enough to know that Guy knows his stuff on this particular model. If he says 'rare colour' then I perk up and think this might be one of those times to stop and think. It would be nice for Guy one day to be pointing out all the details of this 911 with it in front of him rather than an old eBay picture. I hope someone doesnt butcher this one just to get their hands on the drivetrain.

I know everyone doesn't agree but it makes for an interesting discussion (again).

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
carreracat
Married to the DDK

Post by carreracat »

Compare it the one at CTS here http://www.classicthrottleshop.com/car11.html

For about GBP65k you get an already sorted car in what is also a rare colour combo (albeit not a nice one in some peoples eyes!)

Could you buy and restore the blue on for GBP65k? No I would say not.

However, there will always be a market for the restoration candidate cars as there are a lot of people that can't afford the GBP65k up front out lay but might be able to afford the GBP20k up front and then pay for the restoration as you go.

Sounds like poor man maths at first, but at least this way you really do know everything about the condition of the car when you're finished and for me I could get the money out in stage free from wife tax!

PS - I'm not buying it as another car of any description would land me in serious trouble!
Cheers
Mark
1989 Merc 300TE, 1983 911 SC cab, 1980 924 Le Mans, 1977 Porsche Turbo, 1973 E Type FHC
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

Nick Moss wrote:
Disco wrote:

Disco
You need to be realistic with your restoration costs. This car looks as bad a Ferry Man's car in terms of rust. It has been stored outside and will need tens of thousands in the body restoration alone. Then there is paint on top of that. An engine and gearbox rebuild on a mag cased MFI motor could be well over £20K. I understand the owner want £30K, so you will not see change from £100K for a top restoration. Any lesser restoration will be a waste of time and money.
Clearly I'm way out of touch Nick! :oops: . - and I know I'll get shot down for asking this question but are these cars worth the 100 grand and heartache. - - in fact I know the answer, yes to some people, no to others. .. would I spend 100 grand one and it looks like Ferrymans will look - absol-fu**ing-outely. !!- but then I dont have 100 grand to spend, so its a moot point for me. -

I suppose really with the crazy prices of cars these days, 100 grand doesnt buy you very much - even in the modern market, cars are fast approaching 200 grand for a 'real head turner'

joe
ChrisW
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by ChrisW »

This looks to me like an OMG where do we start project.

Of course the start is to find just how bad it is --- bearing in mind that a Red '75 Targa which although bodily "made good" and mechanically sound, sold as a comple roadworthy project for £27k ish ...

Is the only logical answer to lay it up somewhere dry for a few years to see whether values will increase enough to justify the work it really needs, or to strip out the running gear for yet another £35k 2.7RS recreation ? Which would then make it too expensive at £20k now ...
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Darren/Nick with the costs you are estimating for projects I wonder if an impact bumper project is ever worth starting? These cars don't yet have the price tags that the pre 73 car do.
Last edited by neilbardsley on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP