1973 RSR evocation

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

squirdan
DDK rules my life!

1973 RSR evocation

Post by squirdan »

about 6 months ago I started investigating a classic 911, and like many of you, I have found DDK an invaluable source of contacts, advice, inspiration, and useful items for sale. Hence it seemed about time I start a thread on my project

The end game here is not a 100% period correct replica, but a useable "track spec" car that will have FIA papers and could see me do the odd event / tour as well as the "sunny sunday" blasts and trackdays.

I've not had a classic 911 before but am not a complete Porsche virgin...

The idea is:

1973 2.8 RSR evocation
complete refurb and repaint
partially seam welded and stiffened chassis
steel rear RSR arches
composite front wings and bumpers
modern FIA approved seats (pole position) but historic interior
7 " front and 9" rear Fuchs in frosted RSR spec finish (on spacers)
centre fill tank
twin exit exhaust
new pedal box with adj. bias

with regard to suspension and brakes I am using modern technology because first and foremost I want the best driving experience (exe t c dampers & C12 type calipers) BUT with a spare set of period correct Bilstein RSR and 930 type brakes for if I do any historic stuff

yet to decide exactly what to do with the engine... 2.7 MFI currently...will either build into 2.8 twinplug OR sell that engine and build a 3.0 that the RSR was also homologated with

there will be lots of other small detail involved!

Tuthills are building the car for me

The starting point is the ex Ian Highfield 911 2.7 narrow body, which has the handy advantage of being a 1973 car (late 72 build) as well as corrosion free US import in v v good condition

the end result should be fairly period correct but not one for the purists. eg. the dash and door panels will be in basketweave simply because I like the look

I am yet to decide what colour the car should be.... originally I though slate grey because I think its a v cool colour and as well as the recent photos from Alan at Canford Classics, this one caught my eye

Trouble with that is Slate Grey wasn't an option on 73 cars. I love this period photo, it looks much greyer but its actually Ossi Blue

The other option I like is Bahia Red:

So where i'm up to is, having bought Ian's lovely car, I'm now busy paying good money to rip it apart and turn it into something else. err.

Test fitting RSR front wings:

One or two slightly tasty items have been procured

correct 10k tacho

correct 180mph speedo

to be embroidered onto modern 6pt harnesses

some dashboard bling

i'll update the thread as and when..hoping the finished car will be finished by springtime and can meet a few more of you in person

cheers Dan
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
but sadly no Porsches any more
Highfield
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Highfield »

Dan

Looking forward to see how you take my old car forward.

Lots of progress posts please......I saw it at Tuthills last week and I do like the basket weave.

Ian
Ian Highfield
Pre 73 1964 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT MSA Category 1 Rally Car
1992 964 C2 with RS Suspension setup and Sport Interior - SOLD
1973 911T (2.7 Carrera engine and loads of period mods - all steel) - SOLD
1986 Carrera Coupe (256bhp) - SOLD
dragonfly
I luv DDK!

Post by dragonfly »

Wow!

I'll think of something more more useful to add later, as this sounds a great project and I hope you'll keep posting as it progresses
Al
Member #665
'81 911SC Arrow Blue
Dragonfly 28 trimaran - no speed limits at sea
squirdan
DDK rules my life!

basket weave

Post by squirdan »

we took the existing RS lwt style doorcards and refinished them in basketweave...dash trim will also be redone

i plan to use black anodised Wevo metal door handles... so much nicer than the plastic ones
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Cool looking project - looking forward to seeing this one progress
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
911flyboy
Married to the DDK

Post by 911flyboy »

Squridan,
Glad you found a suitable donor car. The gantspeed option was always going to be pricey! Looks like you have a clear direction on where you are going-those silver and orange martini RSRs look amazing though if you change your mind on colours!! Cheers Rich
Sam

Post by Sam »

Nevermind the car - I really like the word 'evocation'. I'm off to change all my ads... :)
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

I'll have to admit to a tinge of regret whilst watching the progress. I really liked Ian's car as it was, especially fitted with it's 2.7RS engine. Very understated.

Hope that's taken in the right way as no offence meant and it's your car now so do with it as you like :)

Ian.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I think that is very understandable, and I have the same feeling when i sold my Model A Ford hotrod (to by my 73T).

The new owner cut out tons of the car for the 'drag car' look so popular back then (called tubbing the car for the Micky Thompson tyres).
My take was Old Skool but it was his car so that's that.

I died when i saw the pics of the car 20 years later...

I think this one will be a different matter though. :)
squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Post by squirdan »

composite front wings fitted and prepwork for repaint. new rear ducktail just visible

you can also see where the Porsche id plate has been removed, the original sepia brown. Sorry brown fans, I've pretty much decided on Slate Grey

steel rear RSR arches arrive next week...will be fitted to existing rear wings, and while the welder is out, 30 hours shell strengthening / seam welding

not much other progress at this stage
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
964RS

Post by 964RS »

I was in the process of doing another RSR in the USA but that has now stopped and is going back as the E it originally was :(

However we had pretty much agreed on grey.

Slate grey I think is too dark for a widebody car and does not show off the curves. On a narrow body its great.

I would look into a slightly lighter grey than slate possibly?

This is lighter I believe....

----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Post by squirdan »

i know what you mean jason, I have been mulling that over, and followed a few threads on Pelican parts on exactly that

but - I've got a bit of a steve mcqueen thing going on and although I like the bright colours like yours I'm aiming for stealthy / purposeful..prob with a few black decals like the one in your picture
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Yup thats where I was (even with the McQueen aspect) but still not sure that slate is too dark and won't show black decals well....

I quite liked mine mocked up in Anthracite....

or Aston Martin mercury silver...

----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Post by squirdan »

not a lot of progress to report as we had been let down by a supplier of the rear RSR arches...I was going to use pressed steel

now some hand made ones have been sourced from Europe...going on next week

after that it should all speed up

pleasing to see nice shiny rear wings under the paint and no filler!

while waiting for the bodywork progress, new brakes have been fitted... 6pot front, 4 pot rear monoblocks with braided hoses and DS3000 pads - the C12 type albeit in this case Tuthill branded. a nice stealthy upgrade as they are hardly visible behind the Fuchs

Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
Highfield
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Highfield »

Dan

Glad to see that shiny metal - I was worried for a nano-second you might find rust or filler :-)

Makes me laugh, as I fitted those very same (albeit C12) brakes and then removed them for 'period' but poorer performing 'S' calipers.

Car doesn't know what has hit it, but really looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Ian
Ian Highfield
Pre 73 1964 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT MSA Category 1 Rally Car
1992 964 C2 with RS Suspension setup and Sport Interior - SOLD
1973 911T (2.7 Carrera engine and loads of period mods - all steel) - SOLD
1986 Carrera Coupe (256bhp) - SOLD