F1 is dead

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Luke
DDK rules my life!

F1 is dead

Post by Luke »

Well it looks like the new rules/regs are coming out:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 948455.stm

apart from the removal of the points system which will completley disincentivise any of the minnow teams even turning up for races (why bother if you get zero points and are never likley to win), capping the budget at 30million means development will practically cease. You can't develop a new front wing for less than a million these days...

Ah well, time to switch to Moto GP....
Last edited by Luke on Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Porscheless but still aircooled
markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by markm »

Favours Ferrari more and more, wonder how much Bernie got paid for this change
Ferry Man
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Ferry Man »

Within the new guidelines:

"To improve clarity, wet tyres have also been renamed 'intermediates' and extreme weather tyres are now called 'wet'."

:roll:
Bloody hopeless.
F1 is dead.

Why not call wet tyres, 'wet'. Just a thought. :wink:
Paul

'74 Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 (MFI) - Lime Green
'94 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (993) - Mexico Blue
middlefour1
DDK rules my life!

Post by middlefour1 »

Ferry Man wrote:Why not call wet tyres, 'wet'. Just a thought. :wink:
Steady on Paul, sounds like common sense to me!!
Steve
1970 Silver 914 - Gone but never forgotten........
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

Except that the TV coverage is now on BBC, not Eurosport that I have enjoyed watching for many years.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
left4dead

Post by left4dead »

nick-moss wrote:
Except that the TV coverage is now on BBC, not Eurosport that I have enjoyed watching for many years.
Hasn't it always been on BBC2? I always watched it on BBC2! Are you saying that it was live on Eurosport? Is that on Freeview? If it was and it is I am now kicking myself :oops:

Did Eurosport have someone more attractive than Suzi Perry introducing?

Mind you, I don't think she's looked like that for a while :wink:
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

Did Eurosport have someone more attractive than Suzi Perry introducing?
No, they didn't cater for that market. The coverage was much more serious and IMO more mature. Randy Mamola was part of the team. They covered every qualifying session and warm up for every class as well as the races. All live. I am sure the Beeb won't give that sort of coverage.

That said the Beeb's coverage of F1 will be as good as it gets. Did anyone watch any of the interactive coverage that Ecclestone made available in the 90s? 6 POVs on 6 channels plus a live timing screen.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

nick-moss wrote:
Randy Mamola was part of the team.
Wow, she sounds even better than Suzi Perry!
Got any pictures? :lol:
Paul

'74 Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 (MFI) - Lime Green
'94 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (993) - Mexico Blue
DIRKBROWNFINGER
DDK forever

Post by DIRKBROWNFINGER »

The main thing to remember here is that now the F1 coverage is on the BBC we will no longer have to listen to PC Mark ruddy Blundell and his non-sensical input....

"Well what he done there was textbook."

"He done more there than what the team was expecting."

What a weapon!

I am sure that Eddie Jordan will be able to offer a little more insight into the sport as one of the new pundits? Its a shame that Steve Ryder defected to ITV for F1, the beeb have lost the best in the business IMHO. As long as it isnt Craig Doyle or Gary Lineker! I hear the new anchor is a BBC childrens presenter.

Looking forward to seeing if the "Brawn Supremacy" actually materialises.

Dirk.
DIRK BROWNFINGER.
1970 911 S TARGA LHD.
johndglynn
DDK forever

Post by johndglynn »

nick-moss wrote:Did anyone watch any of the interactive coverage that Ecclestone made available in the 90s? 6 POVs on 6 channels plus a live timing screen.
I ended up quitting my job to watch it mate! I agree the Eurosport MotoGP coverage was top notch. Toby screaming over the 125s going into turn one 7 abreast is what bike racing on TV is all about for me.

The F1 budget cap scheme is optional, not compulsory. The only thing bugging me is that the one who wins most races wins the championship, this is BS when you have a points system IMO. That said, F1 is definitely not dead.
popcorn
DDK Fanatic

Post by popcorn »

nick-moss wrote:The F1 budget cap scheme is optional, not compulsory

and, the budget capped teams get less stringent regulations to enable them to regain performance on the uncapped teams

Quote from Mosely......

What technical and other freedoms will the cost-capped teams have which are not available to the other teams?

MM: A different (but standard) under body, movable wings, no engine rev limit, no restriction on the number or type of updates, no homologation requirements, no limits on materials, testing, simulators, wind tunnels and so forth - most of the cost saving measures introduced over the last few years will not apply to these teams. However measures to save money during the race weekend, such as the ban on refuelling and the Saturday parc fermé, will apply to both categories of team. We are also thinking about a much bigger capacity KERS for the cost-capped teams.
Last edited by popcorn on Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highfield
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Highfield »

DIRKBROWNFINGER wrote: I hear the new anchor is a BBC childrens presenter.
Dirk.
Valerie Singleton back on the BBC at last :-)

Not watched the Moto GP, but I do remember Randy Mamola as a racer - what a showman - great !

Yes, I am perplexed where you can have both a points system, and a he who wins most races. Cannot see the Premiership adopting that.

Ian
Ian Highfield
Pre 73 1964 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT MSA Category 1 Rally Car
1992 964 C2 with RS Suspension setup and Sport Interior - SOLD
1973 911T (2.7 Carrera engine and loads of period mods - all steel) - SOLD
1986 Carrera Coupe (256bhp) - SOLD
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

If any thing the new points system doesn't go far enough. My family moto is vivere sat vincere ... To conquer is to live enough. In order words it's not the taking part that counts, but the winning. And it should be the same in F1.

I have watch F1 for over 30 years and these are the biggest chances since flat bottoms and no turbos. Watch and enjoy 8)
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

DIRKBROWNFINGER wrote:I am sure that Eddie Jordan will be able to offer a little more insight into the sport as one of the new pundits?
Who interestingly said when being interviewed above 20 minutes ago that he welcomed the new system and that as an ex team owner felt that it would improve the racing.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
abash914
DDK slapper chatter

Post by abash914 »

Surely, what the new system will stop is what happened @ Sao Paulo - which always gets my goat, i.e. McLaren going all-out for a fourth place. That said, would there have been a race in Brazil, cos hadn't Massa already won more races than Lewis??
Oh! I don't know - but I THINK I'm in agreement with he who wins most races wins and in the event of a tie, there being a count-back on the other points earned through the year.
I just hope that the new cars go better than they look and that there are some surprise packages (Vettel, as well as Jenson..)
NE way, not long to go now!!
AA
Member # 323

914-4 KGV 25K
944 S2 G900 TGS
BMW 318 Touring - K9 Transport
MG ZT-T 260 SE V8.

BASS - the final frontier...