HELP rear shock problem

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

Luke
DDK rules my life!

HELP rear shock problem

Post by Luke »

HELP! My new bilstein's don't fit my new (used) alu trailing arms!!!!!!

As you can see from the below the threaded stud on to which the shocks are attached is not long enough, I can't attach a bolt to the end to hold the shock on. Are there differnet thickness mounts on some bilsteins? Do Boge or Koni have narrower mounts?

This is going to ruin my weekend :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Porscheless but still aircooled
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Luke - the lower rear shock is held to the trailing arm by means of a hex-headed bolt (M12 x 1.5 x 85mm in earlier models then M14 x 1.5 x 85mm for '72-on models). It sounds as though the head of the bolt has sheared off leaving the threaded section seized into the trailing arm.

You will need to remove this & replace it with the correct hex bolt.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Luke
DDK rules my life!

Post by Luke »

thanks Andy, one question. How do I get the bolt out of the arm? it appears that the bolts are fixed into the arms by the head? I'll take a picture and post it a it later
Evil J Guano
DDK forever

Post by Evil J Guano »

If it is sheared, I am sure you know the double nut trick?

If not here goes:
Get two nuts (correct thread of course) put one on the sheared stud, then put the other on and tighten onto the first. You can then get a grip on the first nut and you can then remove the stud.

viola!

(apologies if this is teaching Granny to suck eggs :)
Gavin Joule
Luke
DDK rules my life!

Post by Luke »

Thanks Gav, if only it was that simple!

the head has not snapped off the bolt, the head of the bolt (it appears) is pressed into the alu swing arm, the treads on the stud do NOT screw into the arm. Could only get one, not very good picture before my camera battery died

You can just make out the hexagonal bolt head under the black powder coat. Anyone got any idea's? this doesn't look like a 5 minute job unless someone has a funky extractor!
Luke
DDK rules my life!

Post by Luke »

This gets worse!!!!!

The head snapped off BOTH the allen bolts to adjust the front ride height, the thread on the alternator on to which the fan and pulley are attached is FUBAR and I still haven't worked out a way to get this damn stud thing out :evil: :evil: :evil:

The car is still on axle stands and there's s*d all I can do to it tomorrow unless I rectify the above 3 insurmountable problems!!!

Sod this classic car cr*p I'm going for a burn in the M5 my dad just brought in. Then I'm for the pub, I bid you all goodnight!
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

1974 suspension setup
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Luke
DDK rules my life!

Post by Luke »

thanks Nick, now i know its definately a bolt all I now need is to find a lever longer enough and a spanner strong enough to remove these suckers. I broke 2 22mm spanners and rounded off 2 nuts on sunday trying to remove the studs.

I also ruined the powder coat finish by attacking it with a blow torch to get some expansion going on, other than heat and a strong spanner any other pearls of wisdom for removing a seized bolt?
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

weld a bar onto the end of the broken bolt, apply heat to the aluminium (the powder coating is already buggered) and wind it out
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Luke
DDK rules my life!

Post by Luke »

quick update.

The F-ing things were welded in place, yes welded in place, so I had to grind off the weld and then extract them. It turms out the reason they were welded was the thread has been stripped in the arm. So I either have to weld new ones in place myself or heli-coil them. AND I still can't get one of the damn things out!! The long and the short is the car's off the road unitl the end of June :cry: :cry:

The delights of classic ownership :evil:
Berny
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Berny »

Welded to the aluminuim arm ????
Luke
DDK rules my life!

Post by Luke »

welded to the steel insert within the aluminium arm, either way it requires more welding skill than I have, so I thave to wait for my Dad to do it :(
hot66

Post by hot66 »

can't you track down some more A-arms from a breaker? At least that way you could get the car on the road this month
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Luke
DDK rules my life!

Post by Luke »

I've still got the old steel ones, but I can't be doing with getting another set of wheelbearings bushes etc, my Porsche budget for the year is already in the red :cry: :cry:
Luke
DDK rules my life!

Post by Luke »

For those of you following my plight, I thought you might like to know that I’ve still not got the stud out, I pulled a muscle in my lower back on Sunday trying to get the damn thing out, and can now barely walk! :cry:

My last resort is to chop the bolt off, drill it out and heli-coil the hole, but I’ll have to wait until I can bend over enough to get back under the car before I attempt it.
On the plus side I did manage to re-thread the alternator shaft, detail the engine and move the radio into the glove box on Saturday :D .