Basic Sheet Metal Welding & Forming Days: 12th-14th Oct.

Here you will find an archive of previous Porsche Events and other car related events

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, drummerboytom, abm914

Barry
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Basic Sheet Metal Welding & Forming Days: 12th-14th Oct.

Post by Barry »

As hinted at on the DDK annual charity thread.

To continue the 'Master Class' series (or in this case, just the 'Class' series), I know Nick Moss has offered a 911 Trim and Bodywork class, but wondered whether there might be an interest something of a more general nature, focusing on an introduction to welding and the basics of repair panel forming.

Something like this:

Welding:

Welding safety.
Introduction to welding equipment: MIG, TIG and Spot
Panel joint design.
Introduction to the MIG welder, with hints for improving the quality of your welding.
Plug welding with the MIG welder.
Opportunity to try each type of welding process.

Panels:

Introduction to basic tools required (no expensive tools needed!).
Assesment of repair.
Measurement, pattern making and marking out.
Cutting out of repair section blanks.
Creating angled flanges, included concaved and convexed curves with simple handtools.
Introduction to forming compound curved repairs with handtools only.
Brief demonstration of English Wheel.
Opportunity to try each of the above.

By it's nature, it would have to be a fairly long day to fit it all in, although the day could be biased towards where the interest lay: as an example if most interested parties were happy with their welding, we could pool our mutual knowledge with a brief discussion, and move on.

There would have to be some sort of disclaimer for insurance reasons, and attendants would need to come with suitable safety gear: hardboots/shoes, ear defenders, overalls, and goggles.

Whilst I would hope that everyone would be able to try each item, the basic format would be lecture / discussion / demonstration rather than a full-time hands-on tutorial. You would need to bring packed lunch, but refreshments will be provided.

Anyway, to summarise:

One day, sometime late Winter, very early Spring.
Fee TBA, but probably £30 ish, all of which to be forwarded to the DDK nominated charity; I will pleased to cover the cost of materials used.
Numbers: depends, but I would think probably six maximum, otherwise it becomes very difficult to see what's happening :wink: .
DDK paid-up members only. Not a member? It's only £10, so well worth it :) .

Think that's it: clearly this would be of most benefit to those undertaking, or facing, this type of work, but all welcome. If there is a demand for this, it may be possible to re-run it again in the Autumn. Anyway, perhaps if it might be of interest, you could register it on this thread ...

Barry.
Last edited by Barry on Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
911flyboy
Married to the DDK

Post by 911flyboy »

Barry, I would be very interested in that. If we bring Alan along he can show us how to restore a car in day! :wink:
I take it that it would be at your place in East Sussex?
Rustbucket
DDK forever

Post by Rustbucket »

I would be up for it. I have taught myself pretty much, so it would be nice to see what I should actually be doing if I was doing it properly :lol:
Dan

PS- stupid question- east sussex = Hove way? :drunken:
Contact me if you have any 356b coupe parts !!!!
pmjt
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by pmjt »

Barry - if you're ok to take someone with NO welding experience at all - PLEASE put me down :-)

I've got plenty of experience with soldering through electronics but welding is something I've always wanted to understand but never got around to trying :roll:

Let me know when and where 8)

P
912uk

Post by 912uk »

YEP always worth going back over basics ( welding ) but to learn new ways I am very up for this..esp panel beating and metal forming..

8)

Count me in
March not a good time weeks 1-3
2.4TE
DDK above all

Post by 2.4TE »

Yes, I'd be interested!
Dr Dave

1972 2.4 TE
2009 V8 Vantage

Guildford
Surrey
rafiki
DDK addict

Welding

Post by rafiki »

I mirror pmjt...soldering but no welding...

But East Sussex is an awfully long way from northern Lincolnshire so I shall just have to give it a miss.

Pity.
1966 912 SWB Coupe
2007 KIA Cee'd

Macmillan Supporter? Look at www.maccapers.co.uk for our way of supporting Macmillan Cancer Support.
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

Hi Barry,

i'd be very interested (about time i got my hands dirty) on doing a biginners guide to welding.

please put me down for this..
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
Dyno Soar
I luv DDK!

Post by Dyno Soar »

I would also like to attend if possible.

:)
Alam

77' 911 Carerra 3.0 'The Beast'
58' 356-A Coupe
55' Chevy
51' AP17
Glenn75S
DDK above all

Post by Glenn75S »

I would definately be interested in coming along.
1975 Porsche 911S (SOLD)
1990 Porsche 964 Carrera 2 (Distant Memory)
2000 Audi TT 225
2007 Volvo V50 D5 SE Sport
2009 Hungarian Vizsla AWD
Bewildebeest
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Bewildebeest »

Count me in too.
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

Barry, I would love to attend this, but I'm another one of those with NO experience, only ever watched before, I do have someone who said they'll give me some lessons soon, so it'll be nice seeing how they compare. I'm long overdue learning this skill :)
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
Peter
I luv DDK!

Post by Peter »

Barry,

I'd be interested. Again, no experience!!
Peter
'72 911T
'52 80” Series 1
ronvincent
DDK Newbie

Re: Sheet Metal Welding and Forming: Intro and Basics Day.

Post by ronvincent »

Barry wrote:As hinted at on the DDK annual charity thread.

To continue the 'Master Class' series (or in this case, just the 'Class' series), I know Nick Moss has offered a 911 Trim and Bodywork class, but wondered whether there might be an interest something of a more general nature, focusing on an introduction to welding and the basics of repair panel forming.

Something like this:

Welding:

Welding safety.
Introduction to welding equipment: MIG, TIG and Spot
Panel joint design.
Introduction to the MIG welder, with hints for improving the quality of your welding.
Plug welding with the MIG welder.
Opportunity to try each type of welding process.

Panels:

Introduction to basic tools required (no expensive tools needed!).
Assesment of repair.
Measurement, pattern making and marking out.
Cutting out of repair section blanks.
Creating angled flanges, included concaved and convexed curves with simple handtools.
Introduction to forming compound curved repairs with handtools only.
Brief demonstration of English Wheel.
Opportunity to try each of the above.

By it's nature, it would have to be a fairly long day to fit it all in, although the day could be biased towards where the interest lay: as an example if most interested parties were happy with their welding, we could pool our mutual knowledge with a brief discussion, and move on.

There would have to be some sort of disclaimer for insurance reasons, and attendants would need to come with suitable safety gear: hardboots/shoes, ear defenders, overalls, and goggles.

Whilst I would hope that everyone would be able to try each item, the basic format would be lecture / discussion / demonstration rather than a full-time hands-on tutorial. You would need to bring packed lunch, but refreshments will be provided.

Anyway, to summarise:

One day, sometime late Winter, very early Spring.
Fee TBA, but probably £30 ish, all of which to be forwarded to the DDK nominated charity; I will pleased to cover the cost of materials used.
Numbers: depends, but I would think probably six maximum, otherwise it becomes very difficult to see what's happening :wink: .
DDK paid-up members only. Not a member? It's only £10, so well worth it :) .

Think that's it: clearly this would be of most benefit to those undertaking, or facing, this type of work, but all welcome. If there is a demand for this, it may be possible to re-run it again in the Autumn. Anyway, perhaps if it might be of interest, you could register it on this thread ...

Barry.
Hi, Barry I would like to come it will make a change from messing about with wood,I have been thinking of restoring a car so it might give me the incentive to do something about it :?
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

Sounds like a great idea Barry and I would love to attend and also meet up with some fellow DDK'ers. My S should be with you soon so there are lots of example bits to use :lol:

Alan
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales