On to the next project:

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Dyno Soar
I luv DDK!

Post by Dyno Soar »

Wow Alan you seem to be able to turn out new cars at quite a rate of knots.

Cool Targa, with great history. 8)
Alam

77' 911 Carerra 3.0 'The Beast'
58' 356-A Coupe
55' Chevy
51' AP17
Alan @ CanfordClassics
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

Hi

Well the restoration of the Targa is coming on well. The powder coaters delivered his parts today... I have attached some pics. I also have lots of bits at the zinc-platers and all the door frames, door tops, door handles and rear Targa trim due to be re-chromed which should be back next week. Most of the shell has been welded but I am waiting for panels still to be sent from Germany.

Cheers

Alan

http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

You certainly don't hang about do you Alan ! :lol:

Total restoration should only take about 3 weeks at this rate ! :wink:
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Hi Andy.

It all looks so quick, but you know it takes a lot longer than it looks. It took most of today to drill out the four snapped exhuast studs. I am helping doing this car for a friend so the sooner it is done the sooner I can get my 70 S back for its refit. :lol:

Cheers

Alan
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

Wow Alan
I wish I had talked to you before I sold it.
I am still emotionally attached to that car.
It is great that you are fixing it so quickly.
I remember looking unsuccessfully on the net for the Babysham girl so I am pleased you found a picture of her.
Have you any pictures of the welding?
Do you do it or get someone else to do it?

BTW I think my new Targa is due to arrive next week although it will be some time before I get it.
jb
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Hi Jb,

I do not have many pics of the welding work, but I have attached some that I do have. Today I stripped all the inner wings back to bare metal and have attached a few pics of that as well.

I have looked for more info on the Babysham girl on the inter-web but found nothing. Therefore I have written to the DVLA in hope that they supply the old V5s and hence gain her name.

Stripped inner arch. (The suspension has since been removed for powder coating).

The new lap panel lip and corner plates are in. Repairs also included, repairs to battery boxes, repair to lower inner O/S wing and also the opening for the oil filter.

Thanks

Alan

PS. I look forward to seeing/hearing more about your new targa.
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

Alan
When I saw all the parts that have been powder coated I thought - that sounds fun. I can take things to bits with the best of them. But when I saw your recents photos of bare metal, I remembered what hard dirty noisy work it was getting all the paint off - not so much fun. I assume there is no easy way like painting it with nitromorse? or similar. Anyway you are obviously making great progress.
It wasn't so much that I wanted to see the welding photos more that I was interested to know what you uncovered that was not obvious originally. I knew about the outer and inner sills and then the front cross member and the battery boxes and the top of the windscreen surround which all gave way when Nick explored with a screwdriver. I just wondered what else of the structure was revealed when you explored.
I think my new Targa is now in England as of last week-end and hope to get to see next week-end.
BTW I will change my avatar when I am sure I have really got it. Until then it all seems a bit like a dream and when I wake up it will disappear.
jb
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Hi,

A few update pics: The first batch of plating is back and I am in the midst of re-sealing and detailing the motor. Stainless steel heat exchangers and muffler now fitted, along with hydraulic tensioners and turbo valve covers. New rear wing should be here on Monday along with my vapour blasted parts so I will get some updated body work and final motor pics next week.

Thanks

Alan

Alan @ CanfordClassics

Rear wing has finally arrived from Porsche. :lol: The targa should have a solid body soon.

911flyboy
Married to the DDK

Post by 911flyboy »

Alan,
Do you ever sleep! You seem to work at such a pace!! Looks fantastic already! :shock: Rich
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

excellent stuff Alan :P you seem to be going great guns, good luck with the rest of it :)
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Thanks for the kind words :)

Alan
jamie
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jamie »

You are hardcore!
'68 912
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Few more pics. I have starting stripping the E Targa shell back to bare metal before any further body work commences, its a laborious task. I will finish it of tomorrow before etch primer is applied. The car did look quite rusty at first but in fact, bar the major panels which are being replaced the shell is very good.

9Torsion
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 9Torsion »

Alan.UK wrote:Hi,

A few update pics: The first batch of plating is back and I am in the midst of re-sealing and detailing the motor. Stainless steel heat exchangers and muffler now fitted, along with hydraulic tensioners and turbo valve covers. New rear wing should be here on Monday along with my vapour blasted parts so I will get some updated body work and final motor pics next week.

Thanks

Alan

Would you be able to tell me who does your plaiting and vapor blasting as I am restoring my Carrera 3 and need some items Zinc plaited (with yellow pas).

Good luck with the restoration you seem to be moving quicker than me.
Regards

Anthony Walsh
Gonzo Porsche
Fear and loathing at 6200 RPM