Speedster Build up

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Speedster Build up

Post by Bootsy »

For all you Replica fans this should be a great thread, for everybody else it should be very interesting.

Over the next few months (years?) we will be following DDK member Nigel Webb's build up of his Speedster. So here's the first installment.

Here's a pic of the rusty 1303s that has become the doner for the rear suspension and 1600 gearbox.

Main part of the chassis comes from a beetle first registered in 1960. In it's hey day it used to be called "Shady Lady". Nigel has a poster of it from the VWAction '86 show. Unfortunately it had been
left to become very rusty.

Nigel purchased both cars in 2002 but then decided to move house. This was completed in April 2003. The 1303s was his, reliable, daily drive until the MOT ran out in June 2003. He then started dismantling both beetles on 1/1/2004.

He now has two stripped down chassis's that will become the basis of the Speedster build.

He is using the 60's chassis in order to keep the old chassis number and the 3 number 3 letter reg.

Next installment will be the shortened Chasis in a couple of weeks time.
Last edited by Bootsy on Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Luke
DDK rules my life!

Post by Luke »

wow, looks like a great project, wish i had the space to do somethign similar. Will the finished prodcut be a 356 speedster?
Porscheless but still aircooled
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Luke Hudson wrote:wow, looks like a great project, wish i had the space to do somethign similar. Will the finished prodcut be a 356 speedster?
Yes :wink:

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Miggs
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Miggs »

looks superb 8) 8) 8)
COMPUTER GAMES DONT AFFECT KIDS,I MEAN IF PACMAN AFFECTED MY GENERATION AS KIDS, WE WOULD HAVE ALL BE RUNNING AROUND IN THE DARK LISTENING TO REPETITIVE MUSIC MUNCHING PILLS
nickT
DDK forever

Post by nickT »

Cool roof-chop on the '60 bug, good luck with the project, Nick
mk-nige
DDK Newbie

Post by mk-nige »

Many thanks to Bootsy for posting the photos. I'll update as and when any progress has been made. Don't get too much spare time though, so it will be slow.

mk-nige
shambly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by shambly »

mk-nige,

Whose speedster kit are you building?

Simon
mk-nige
DDK Newbie

Post by mk-nige »

Hi Simon, not sure yet. Have had a test drive in a very nice Chesil and have seen a few nice Martin and Walker 356's. Gonna do the chassis and running gear as per the Chesil build doc and decide on the body kit later. Whichever one I decide on must have wind up windows, as I want to drive it every day and I work at a place that has a barrier car park operated via a swipe card.

mk-nige
shambly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by shambly »

mk-nige,

I built my Chesil from a kit last year, and have the wind-up windows - they work well.
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

Love that bonnet... what are you doing with it?

:wink:
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
mk-nige
DDK Newbie

Post by mk-nige »

Hi Cubist, not sure what to do with the bonnet. Would be a shame to see it overpainted. Would love to see it used on another modified beetle but would require some carefull renovation.
mk-nige
1963 356B T6
gpdude
DDK Newbie

Post by gpdude »

mk-nige,

There's also the Pilgrim Speedster to look into before you decide to buy.
A few years ago I took on the idea to produce Speedsters next to our Spyders so with a Belgian friend we started a project.
When the Speedster business was more or less production ready, I lacked the time and sold my share to my partner.
He continued devellopment, and started selling them as L&B Speedsters over here in Europe.
In 2003, he sold a licence to Pilgrim Cars Ltd to produce their own version. I don't know about the quality these guys are producing, but when we started we were a whole lot cheaper than Chesil.

Just worth checking out before you buy! :D
Beep.
We do apologize for being difficult to contact at the moment. We are currently redesigning our project which takes all of our time and dedication. We do help out where we can though. Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience.
Beep.
Old-Bugga
Married to the DDK

Post by Old-Bugga »

Anyone ever hear what happened to this?
No you aren't imagining things, the cow did blink!
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Old-Bugga wrote:Anyone ever hear what happened to this?
Mige bought a 356 Casbriolet so I'm guessing the project was shelved!