914/6 GT Steel Flares in the UK?

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

autohausdolby
Married to the DDK

914/6 GT Steel Flares in the UK?

Post by autohausdolby »

After a fun morning reading 48 pages of FIA appendix K my suspicions were confirmed (I think!) and I now know I'm going to need steel flares, not fibreglass.

I've found what look like good quality panels from http://www.autoatlanta.com for $950 per set and I imagine that will be the cheapest option, but does anybody know any different?
TheMonkey
DDK Seasoned Poster

Steel flares

Post by TheMonkey »

Howdy,

Good work on starting a GT replica. I was nearly there, car went to Le Mans etc with new engine, etc etc, got back and wanted to start on the rest of the conversion, then in a massively stupid act of generosity, I sold my Dad my engine as his 'E' engine in his race car was looking like it was on its last legs. Now I have a shell, but with no engine! Super.

If you are checking out FiA regs in the hope of racing the 914, you may have a problem with originality. I looked into racing mine, but even the HSCC had an issue with it not being 'real'. However, maybe the rules have been relaxed. I don't know.

I'm just going to continue to make mine into a kick ass road car!

Go for it, the drive down to Le Mans this year, was one of the best i've ever done. The feeling, the noise, not to mention the attention it got when we got there. DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!!

I'm done!
Mark
autohausdolby
Married to the DDK

Post by autohausdolby »

The originality of it is a worry for me, but I'm sure there are ways round it. If not I'll have to join PCGB and do the parade lap :(

I reckon that my 914/6 GT will be as original a GT as a few of the 70s privateer ones :lol:

It is a concern though
autohausdolby
Married to the DDK

Post by autohausdolby »

I've been doing some further research on this and to get an FIA HTP (Historic Technical Passport) to make it able to run in Historic events the car would have to conform exactly to the specification of the car it is proporting to be, in this case a Le Mans spec'd 1970/1 914-6 GT like the Sonauto car (number 40).

So the car could be, as I intend, built now but just like the dealer/privateer 6 cylinder GTs constructed using a factory shell and parts bought seperately.

The only snagging point is whether the organisors of the Le Mans Classic, where I would eventually like to enter the car, will allow the car. At the moment I don't see any problem as I believe they will accept the HTP as eligability to race but who knows??

It's all largely irrelevent until I actually have the car at least partially built however. A project started is not a project finished, or summat :lol: :lol:
hot66

Post by hot66 »

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... 5&start=15

a couple od DDK'ers are looking into Classic Lemans entry
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Ian Gunney
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Ian Gunney »

Porsche Austria raced a 4 converted to a 6 back in period.

I am sure that you would have problems trying to enter a /6 GT rep into CLM - you may get away with a real /6 with M471 options - but would you want to butcher a /6 now?

I have gone down the route of building to my eyes the perfect iteration of a 914 - 2.7 motor (225hp), all f/glass bits as per factory GTs but with 930 turbo brakes ...
1966 912 Karmann Coupe - polo red.
1972 914/6 GT replica - 2.7 - signal orange.
1961 Standard 217 Tractor.
2003 Boxster S.
1967 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT Veloce.

http://www.redcastleclassics.com
904GTS
Married to the DDK

Post by 904GTS »

You should try and contact Geoff Moyes who races a GT, he works at AFN Guildford. I suspect he will be at the Beaulieu meet this week and also he's usually at Husbourne Crawley. I supplied all the fibreglass panels, oil cooler and ducting for his car, check my website for more details.

$950 for a set of steel flares is very cheap Stoddard have them on special at $655 each :shock:

Barrie

`
www.904GTS.com
www.technic-motorsport.com

Factory built Safari 2.7 RS
Too many projects not enough time !
904GTS
Married to the DDK

Post by 904GTS »

You should try and contact Geoff Moyes who races a GT, he works at AFN Guildford. I suspect he will be at the Beaulieu meet this week and also he's usually at Husbourne Crawley. I supplied all the fibreglass panels, oil cooler and ducting for his car, check my website for more details.

$950 for a set of steel flares is very cheap Stoddard have them on special at $655 each :shock:

Barrie

`
www.904GTS.com

Gustl
Married to the DDK

Post by Gustl »

Ian Gunney wrote:Porsche Austria raced a 4 converted to a 6 back in period.
yepp ... this car still exists
Last edited by Gustl on Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wolfgang
autohausdolby
Married to the DDK

Post by autohausdolby »

I've read all of the FIA guff now (it took several hours :lol: ) and getting approval to run in FIA historic events is no problem (if you define turning a boggo '4 into a perfect 914-6 GT no problem :) ), it just depends whether the ACO's deputies will accept a HTP from the FIA as eligibility.

I'm going to do it anyway I think, cus I like a challange.
autohausdolby
Married to the DDK

Post by autohausdolby »

904GTS wrote:You should try and contact Geoff Moyes who races a GT, he works at AFN Guildford. I suspect he will be at the Beaulieu meet this week and also he's usually at Husbourne Crawley. I supplied all the fibreglass panels, oil cooler and ducting for his car, check my website for more details.

Barrie

`
You're website is impressive - I like the look of your bonnet and boot lids. Whereabouts are you based?
904GTS
Married to the DDK

Post by 904GTS »

I'm at Thruxton race circuit, Hampshire, not exactly next door unfortunately.

I'll be at Harewood for the Porsche Club Speed Championship this weekend, I believe there's also a classic car show on Sunday, if you happen to be going. Wayne Eason will be there with his Gulf 914, I'll be with a 924 :oops: which my oldest boy drives, Honda colour scheme with Fuchs wheels, looking for three wins in a row 8)

Barrie
www.904GTS.com

autohausdolby
Married to the DDK

Post by autohausdolby »

I'll be working this weekend unfortunately, but it's nice to know that there is someone doing some of the parts I need here in the UK at sensible prices. Do you know anyone who does the bolt on roof panel?
autohausdolby
Married to the DDK

Post by autohausdolby »

Actually, just seen that it's Sunday, I may be able to make it. I shall come over and have a chat if I do manage to get there :)

EDIT: I've just had a look at your other site and realised who you are :lol: I remember seeing one of your Spyders in Volksworld a few years back.