What's a safe redline for a 2.2 with stock components?

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

What's a safe redline for a 2.2 with stock components?

Post by RobFrost »

What's a relatively safe redline for a 2.2 with stock (counterweighted) crank, valves, springs etc.?

I'm assuming here the cam, compression, fuelling etc. are set up to keep pulling to whatever range it needs to go to. At what point to things start flying off, not getting the oil they need, hitting each other, or making their exit from the case?

I think the first "protective" improvement needed to the engine, is extra cooling in the form of say piston oil squirters if not already in place, maybe a later oil pump too. At what point are the stock crank, valvetrain and other bits not up to the job?
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: What's a safe redline for a 2.2 with stock components?

Post by Sam »

There are so many variables here.

Is the engine built?

If so the usual test is to hold the revs at 6000 for 20 seconds, then increase it by 100rpm, hold it for 20 seconds, increase it by 100 rpm, hold it for 20 seconds etc etc.

When it blows up you’ll have established the safe limit was the one before that point.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

Sam wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:15 pm There are so many variables here.

Is the engine built?

If so the usual test is to hold the revs at 6000 for 20 seconds, then increase it by 100rpm, hold it for 20 seconds, increase it by 100 rpm, hold it for 20 seconds etc etc.

When it blows up you’ll have established the safe limit was the one before that point.
ok i'll let you know how I get on.

I think Mike Champion said he thinks the stock T crank is ok up to 7,200. So I assume the counterweighted crank will go a little higher. S redline is 7,200 and I think the main thing I don't have there is the nitrided con rods.
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I don't think you need to worry about exceeding the safe rev limit with the relatively mild modifications you're planning.

A std 2.2S has a redline at 7300rpm but peak power is developed well below 7k - around 6500rpm from memory - so, other than shifting into the wrong gear (eg 3rd instead of 5th) when really caning it, it's unlikely to be a problem.

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”