911T windscreen fitting.

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

murray
DDK Fanatic

911T windscreen fitting.

Post by murray »

I bought a new windscreen , rubber and 2 screen chromes from Heritage parts but having got frustrated with home fitting I tried 2 well known windscreen fitting companies to find that one of them only fits screens that they supply and the other will only fit if I take the car to them and the car is off the road. . I am near Exeter so was curious if anyone knows of a "local" fitter that might be my next port of call ?

Youtube and the forums seem full of either " fitted in 10 minutes using my washing line " to those as frustrated as I am with it.
1969 911T Targa.
----------------

----------------
Murray
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

911T windscreen fitting.

Post by Gary71 »

This was the answer Andy gave recently to the same question:
Lightweight_911 wrote:.
Send a pm to Stuart Lee ('stuby' here on DDK) - he's the manager of Doncaster branch of National Windscreens & will be able to recommend a fitter.

Or contact him direct via their website:

https://www.nationalwindscreens.co.uk/doncaster

I know some have had issues with non OE seals so not sure if that’s your problem.

With a front screen I’m in the ‘10 minutes with a washing line’ camp. Admittedly after spending two hours getting the chrome trim to sit right in the seal first!
stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: 911T windscreen fitting.

Post by stretch »

Porsche Rubbers and trims or aftermarket.?
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
murray
DDK Fanatic

Post by murray »

stretch wrote:Porsche Rubbers and trims or aftermarket.?

Aftermarket I believe .
1969 911T Targa.
----------------

----------------
Murray
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

2 years ago I went via Stuart Lee, and all was good. Fitter did the front and rear screens in a jiffy.

OEM replacement rubbers 30 years old, and 1973 factory fillers.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Post by AndrewSlater »

I'd agree with Gary the prep of getting the trim sitting nicely can take some time, but the screen should go in quite quickly if all is good.
If you have an aftermarket rubber there is a chance that it's not right. Had an old school fitter give up on one of my aftermarket seals after three visits to get it to work.
He didn't want to be defeated but I had to buy a genuine Porsche one which went in really quickly.

I guess it depends as to what is frustrating you with the fitting.

As you are close to Exeter you could ask Roger Bray who they use for fitting screens - I expect they might do them themselves.

Good luck
Andrew
1966 Porsche 912 Slate Grey, red interior - first owner owned for 41 years
1974 Porsche 911 2.7 (The Manhattan project) viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51455
1973 VW 914 1.7 Olympic Blue - ( gone to a good home )
murray
DDK Fanatic

Post by murray »

Thanks Andrew, I have received a couple of pm's suggesting various means of achieving a result so will await a response or two then maybe make sure I get a correct Porsche rubber then, after more frustration ask Roger Bray who he uses.
1969 911T Targa.
----------------

----------------
Murray
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

AndrewSlater wrote:I'd agree with Gary the prep of getting the trim sitting nicely can take some time, but the screen should go in quite quickly if all is good.
If you have an aftermarket rubber there is a chance that it's not right. Had an old school fitter give up on one of my aftermarket seals after three visits to get it to work.
He didn't want to be defeated but I had to buy a genuine Porsche one which went in really quickly.

As you are close to Exeter you could ask Roger Bray who they use for fitting screens - I expect they might do them themselves.

Good luck
Andrew
Is the one your professional fitter gave up on, the one in my garage by any chance?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Post by AndrewSlater »

RobFrost wrote:
AndrewSlater wrote:I'd agree with Gary the prep of getting the trim sitting nicely can take some time, but the screen should go in quite quickly if all is good.

Good luck
Andrew
Is the one your professional fitter gave up on, the one in my garage by any chance?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Ha ha - no that one is definitely an original one, and a rear window coupe seal, as it still had the original rear window demister loom installed.
I had to cut the offending one up to prevent the old school fitter trying for a fourth time. I think he thought it was a slur on his competence that I bought him an original one - he wasn't happy - but it did prove a point :)

From my experience the front and back screen are equally the same to fit when you have the right seals. Never done a Targa screen I suspect that might be more challenging.
1966 Porsche 912 Slate Grey, red interior - first owner owned for 41 years
1974 Porsche 911 2.7 (The Manhattan project) viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51455
1973 VW 914 1.7 Olympic Blue - ( gone to a good home )