Flares....

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Flares....

Post by sladey »

Great stuff Darren - looking lovely
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

How exciting is this stage. Car looks ultra crisp.

Going to be a stunner.
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

inaglasshouse wrote:.....This is a happy stage, is it not? Can't beat a perfect bare shell....
.....very happy and they're all good stages to savour although the pinnacle has to be some shiny paintwork! :)
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Thank you for all the kind words chaps....hopefully the build will get a little more exciting soon :)
911SE
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 911SE »

Awesome!
Magnus
1971 911 2.2T
1995 993
Barry

Post by Barry »

inaglasshouse wrote:Looking awesome, Darren.
This is a happy stage, is it not? Can't beat a perfect bare shell...
Darren65 wrote: ...Chris has been in awe of the quality of Barry's work and couldn't believe how little filler the roof needed considering a new panel has been welded in....

Good to hear.
I did some man maths for my orange car. It is a mathematical fact that the weight saving on filler leads to impressive fuel savings, such that Barry's fee will have been recouped in a mere 12,440,000 miles. Your Mileage May Vary.

Hope all is well with you, thanks for posting.

R
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

No real progress to report but I managed to find a nice Porsche sign :) ......

MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

Darren65 wrote:No real progress to report but I managed to find a nice Porsche sign :) ......

Cool looking sign Darren, where did you manage to find it.....
When are we going to see some colour go on your shell....
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Darren65 wrote:No real progress to report......
.....actually that's not strictly true!

Off to see the 'Sage of the Lakes' tomorrow to deliver everything needed to complete my RSR gearbox build :) .....freshly (and beautifully done) chromated cases picked up from Sam and Angus at Greatworth Classics on Sunday after being media blasted by Gary Cook at GDC, a very sexy looking 8:35 CWP from Tandler, a myriad of parts from Porsche Centre Swindon that came in a small box but still cost a small fortune, RSR oil pump plate from Ben Coles and a fabulously engineered RS 'TL' 5th gear from Matt at Guard Transmission whilst Gary Cook (again!) saved the day by letting me have a super rare RS 'RP' 4th gear from his own private stash (thanks Gazza :thumbleft: ).....

.....along with a bunch of items already delivered and a ZF diff that Mike kindly supplied hopefully it'll be full steam ahead up in Cumbria! :P

PS.....also a special thank you to our own Mr Lovejoy (greeny27rs) who has kindly transported countless items North/South and back again more times than I can remember! Cheers Nick, I owe you many beers :thumbleft:
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

MarkIII wrote: Cool looking sign Darren, where did you manage to find it.....
When are we going to see some colour go on your shell....
.....a friend had been storing it in his garden and thought I might like it :) .............paint's a sore point but hopefully soon and this side of Christmas.

Cheers,
andytat
DDK forever

Post by andytat »

Looking fantastic Darren.
It's going to be a very special car.

Andy
Now Porsche less and sad.
3.2 Carrera Speedster (Sold and sorely missed)
3.2 Manual Cayenne (Sold)
73 2.4S (Gone to Singapore)
75 3.0l 914 (Sold)
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Thanks Andy,

....a few hours in the van today clocking up close to 550 miles!.....first stop up to Kendal to deliver everything to Mr Bainbridge.....most organised I've ever been with a gearbox build and Mike has absolutely everything he needs to crack on, a little tweaking to be sorted I understand but other than that it's a straightforward build and work Mike can do in his sleep 8) .....

.....next a run down to Barnsley and visit to what has to be the one of the most impressive Porsche parts set ups I've ever seen! 8) .....when Mark and James Bates became frustrated trying to obtain Porsche parts for their race cars they decided to start making a few of their own and EB Motorsport was born.....obviously it helps to be skilled engineers and to have a solid manufacturing business behind you however twelve years on their offerings are second to none with parts engineered, manufactured and tested in-house to the highest of professional standards.....not only that, their restoration work is up there with the very best as those who have pored over their 911R, Carrera RSR Turbo builds will know.....just being shown some of the one-off, highly complicated and hugely expensive moulds for the RSR Turbo build was mind blowing.......these boys have come a long way in a short time and are a seriously class act! 8) .....huge thanks to Mark and James for showing me around.......a DDK open day would be a seriously cool visit, will ask the question :thumbright: ....

....the purpose of my visit was to pick up a very nice whale tail.....whilst I have an original factory racing department tail it's too nice to mess with and the new one will be gaining a rubber lip....more to follow! :wink:

Cheers,
rich73
Married to the DDK

Post by rich73 »

Tail looks great Darren, edges look really well defined. The EB garage setup looks impressive, although at looks like they still get the same problem of flat surfaces attracting stuff like I do.
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

rich73 wrote:Tail looks great Darren, edges look really well defined. The EB garage setup looks impressive, although at looks like they still get the same problem of flat surfaces attracting stuff like I do.
....fortunately they have plenty of room and could easily make more flat surfaces, the cabinets in the photo they manufactured themselves!!! 8)
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Calibrated and on it's way! :bounce: 8) ......