Irrational Lockdown Car Consideration

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

jonno1
I luv DDK!

Irrational Lockdown Car Consideration

Post by jonno1 »

In my spare room-break from Zoom-boredom....I want this:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1299018

This one won't move into the "Hi, can I ask for some more photos and information" stage of idle mid-afternoon messing, but it certainly has me applying a certain level of consideration as to whether I can conjure up any reason to add this one to the fleet.

What have you guys been irrationally considering? And has anyone got to the brink, only to come to your senses at the last minute.....
1958 356A Coupe
987 Gen 2 Boxster
986 2.5 Boxster
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Irrational Lockdown Car Consideration

Post by 911hillclimber »

I'm retired, so apart from 1 Zoom meeting for the Car Club every month my mind drifts a bit, esp when watching TV such as Car SOS etc etc.

I still have a real hankering to do a Triumph Spitfire.
Cheap to find, cheap to rebuild in comparison to a Porsche by a country mile. New front calipers for 1/2 the price of a rebuilt A caliper.

I don't have the space thankfully, and that is the deciding factor to bring me down to earth. (other than the wife)

On the other side, a pre WW2 car, but not sure I have the patience for one.

Above all it is getting things to do and a bit of a challenge, hence doing the motorcycles.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
KS

Post by KS »

I keep getting drawn back to this. I've examined it in person and it is in quite amazing condition, having been well prepared for some gentlemen driver events, of which it appears to have done a few. Had it been for sale when I chopped in my Cayman, I could have been a Lancia owner instead of a 914-er.

https://www.williamscrawford.co.uk/list ... oupe-1976/

Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
dt4
DDK addict

Post by dt4 »

jonno1 wrote:In my spare room-break from Zoom-boredom....I want this:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1299018

This one won't move into the "Hi, can I ask for some more photos and information" stage of idle mid-afternoon messing, but it certainly has me applying a certain level of consideration as to whether I can conjure up any reason to add this one to the fleet.

What have you guys been irrationally considering? And has anyone got to the brink, only to come to your senses at the last minute.....
Not a particularly relevant comment in respect to the car in the link but, I have had 7 GT4's of various models.
ST165, st185's and st205's and they are a great car, appreciating in price. They are a bit heavy in standard trim but can be made to go well.
The rally trim version in the link looks great.
3ftDeep
DDK above all

Post by 3ftDeep »

Well, I went a bit further than consideration.
Should I have been concentrating on my 356 restoration? Yes.
Did this catch my eye instead. Yes.

I saw this on ebay back in Jan 2020 and it was a bargain. No sign of lockdown at the time. Trailered it home and basically had to get it sorted so I could move it as it took up all of my drive:

So, I knew I had to put it all back together. Almost everything was in poor shape - electrics, engine, bodywork and the actual camper part. I also knew when I bought it that the camper frame probably needed rebuilding but, once I go into it, had to rebuild more or less everything; inside and out:

So, this is what I unwittingly spent much of the first lockdown doing - in the blazing summer sun (I have really fair skin so burn on cloudy days!!). Got it up and running and MOT'd for a short weekend after first lockdown. Still much to do but it's 90% there.

Should I have now returned my gaze back to the 356 restoration? Yes!
Then ....
This came up locally. Once again, it was too good to miss. I'd been looking at these for a couple of years but wasn't really looking to buy until I'd finished other stuff (356 included). It was a non runner but have sorted that. Just waiting for UK registartion docs as it had never been registered after import.

So, more stuff, less space and the 356 is still waiting. All good fun though, eh : )
1959 356A T2 RHD.
Original UK - 500th AFN sale.
Vin 108544
Original engine 1600cc standard - P75269 (missing)
Current engine 1955 1500cc - P35778
Car is awaiting restoration.
Originally silver with red interior
Many oxide induced ventilation holes.
alastairp
DDK above all

Post by alastairp »

Great job on the LT camper.

No gun for the outfit?

It would need to be a very trusting passenger in the chair to face the oncoming traffic!
3ftDeep
DDK above all

Post by 3ftDeep »

Thanks. I love the LT. Just need time to finish it and, more importantly, no pandemic to be able to use it.

Alas, no gun with the sidecar. I was going to repaint the whole thing but I now quite like the camo so might invest in a dummy MG 34 or similar. Who knows.

Regarding the danger of being a sidecar passenger ... I wouldn't know as I'll never be in it : )
Actually, I've put the sidecar in storage for now and will ride it as a solo for a bit, when I'm able.
1959 356A T2 RHD.
Vin 108544
hot66

Post by hot66 »

think those 2 deffo qualify for this thread :shock: :lol: :lol: 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

I thought that LHD motorbike/sidecar combos weren't allowed on the road in the UK. No idea why I thought that though.
Sam

Post by Sam »

So far this lockdown I have decided to buy:

A Rolls Royce 20/25 (why is so much car so cheap?)
A historic single seater (again, no money compared to historic tin tops or sports cars)
An XJS (a minter won’t be <20k for long when an E Type is 5 times the price, surely?)
A Saab Sonnet (Google it)
A Citroen AX 4WD rally car (who knew?)
All the motorbikes

In reality I’ve bought naff all of course.

Digging the LT no end.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

What a brave man taking on that big a rebuild on the LT! :shock:

We used to have a great old LT that had previously been all over Europe in the hands of various notables including Mike Smith, racing 356's and loaded with spares. We took it all over UK competing and holidaying, and also as a refuge from wind and rain on our stand at local agricultural shows. We sold it and it to another 911 Speed competitor.
It wasn't exactly a model of reliability, the 6 cyl diesel was quite fragile. We had one complete new engine and at least 2 new cylinder heads, but it was a lot of fun, and could go a lot of places that more fancy machinery couldn't, like a straight through a flooded Prescott orchard, with trailer and car on the back, in the super low 1st gear and just ticking over. :)

It had a fabulous garage and workshop in the back, we heard rumours of how many 356 engines and gearboxes Mike Smith could squeeze in there! :shock:

If you have half as much fun as we did with ours, you will be delighted!

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
3ftDeep
DDK above all

Post by 3ftDeep »

That's excellent : )
I'm not new to old VWs but am new to LT's - before last Feb at least!! We'd looked at maybe getting a T25 Karmann Gipsy or Cheetah, then the LT came up.

For those who don't know, the engine is at the front, under a 'pod' in the middle of the cab. If you have a passange bench seat, you have to swing this up and out of the passenger side door to gain access (it's hinged)
As such, to work on the engine from above you have to sit in the rear of the van, facing forwards, usually on my knees on an old towel. It's a 2.4lt straight six diesel. No fancy electroincs and no turbo.

I spent so much time working on it that it was like spreading out a prayer mat and making regular, daily offerings to an ungrateful daity : )
Last edited by 3ftDeep on Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
1959 356A T2 RHD.
Vin 108544
3ftDeep
DDK above all

Post by 3ftDeep »

I also went to look at a 3 cars a friend of a friend was selling. I intended to buy them all but the price he wanted was a bit steep:

Grinnall Scorpion
Renault Alpine GTA (driven into a grage 14 years ago and there it lay)
Mid 90s Mercades 220 (I think. Something like that - he was going to throw this in if i bought the other two)

My wife was relieved I didn't. The Grinnall would have been a hoot 8 ) This was before the bike came along. I'd have still bought that too : ) Lockdown is certainly a crazy mistress. The stuff I have on my ebay watch list - not necessarily to actually buy but just to muse a little.
1959 356A T2 RHD.
Vin 108544
Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Post by Dougieboy1 »

What i bought - arrived from France, October 2020

What it already looks like in my head

The reality, last sunday.....

1972 911S
1944 VW Schwimmwagen (originally a Porsche typ128, eventually VW166)
A bunch of other crap (according to my wife)
8bit-ash
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 8bit-ash »

Moment of Lockdown madness you say, not quite a car but it does have an engine...

Its well and truly put a holt to my 911 progress!
1970 911E Sportomatic
2002 Boxster S
2004 Audi A2 TDi 90