Disc brake conversion problems- SORTED

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

silverboydreamer
DDK addict

Re: Disc brake conversion problems- SORTED

Post by silverboydreamer »

Unfortunately anything with Porsche in use is going to cost more, add 356 to the mix and the price goes higher, it’s a fact of life. That said the disc kit is well thought out and a fair amount of engineering goes into the manufacturing, on the other side of the coin, CSP makes a similar kit for beetles and it’s a lot cheaper!.
Ausfahrt mine Auspuff
merbesfield
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by merbesfield »

silverboydreamer wrote:Unfortunately anything with Porsche in use is going to cost more, add 356 to the mix and the price goes higher, it’s a fact of life. That said the disc kit is well thought out and a fair amount of engineering goes into the manufacturing, on the other side of the coin, CSP makes a similar kit for beetles and it’s a lot cheaper!.
It does look look like quality and well designed. We are always paying the Porsche tax, just part the ownership experience LOL.
Mark Erbesfield
1968 912 #12820385
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

Ooo, expensive, my 944 disc brakes cost me about £50 and half an hour on the lathe. I didn't paint the calipers red cos you can't see them through the fuchs
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
silverboydreamer
DDK addict

How fortunate you are to have the skills and equipment to diy, for us mere mortals we have to rely on kits you buy, safe in the knowledge that it’s all there, it fits and it works, together with backup if things go wrong as they did with me. One major attraction of the CSP kit is the outside appearance is in keeping with the car, it’s modified ( not drums) but only when looked at closely can you see that the brakes are disc’s.
Ausfahrt mine Auspuff
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

I take your point about not having a lathe but £50+1 hour a professionals lathe time isn't equal to 1500!

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
merbesfield
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by merbesfield »

Is there a way to do 944 brakes and retain the wide five wheels? Honestly, when all said and done, payifor a pro kit is money well spent vs having to figure it all out and self engineer it. As they say “time is money” and like most these days, I don’t have a lot of free time. I don’t have a ton of money either, lol, but still I think the kit is money well spent.
Mark Erbesfield
1968 912 #12820385
silverboydreamer
DDK addict

Don’t know where you got £1500 for the kit from, I paid less than 1k, Just Kampers is selling them for £950, whilst I know this is no small amount it is the same as you would have to pay for a front wing. Doing anything major with a 356 is goings to cost £££ but if you shop around you can generally get the cost down as there is always a price variation from suppliers.
Ausfahrt mine Auspuff
merbesfield
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by merbesfield »

silverboydreamer wrote:Don’t know where you got £1500 for the kit from, I paid less than 1k, Just Kampers is selling them for £950, whilst I know this is no small amount it is the same as you would have to pay for a front wing. Doing anything major with a 356 is goings to cost £££ but if you shop around you can generally get the cost down as there is always a price variation from suppliers.
thanks for the tip.
Mark Erbesfield
1968 912 #12820385