Carb Whisperer needed

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Simon Rudge
DDK forever

Re: Carb Whisperer needed

Post by Simon Rudge »

Sam wrote:
Simon Rudge wrote:I have a guy in north Essex, works out of his scrap yard,old school rolling road, no computer print outs. Whispers carbs in between balancing cranks etc.

Happy to put you in touch.
Mike Jennings?

Thats the man, use him all the time, have done for years.
Simon

1970 911T (with E motor)
1978 Moto Guzzi 850T3
daily whatever parts chaser.
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

I last used him maybe 15 years ago. He wasn’t a youngster then. Happy to hear he’s still going strong.

A bit of a trek from Bedford and I still remember being made nervous by the first impression his yard gives but his work is faultless.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

Rob at BS Motorsport (Neil Bainbridge) sorted my 46mm PMO's out. The difference is staggering. I would thoroughly recommend them. They did pull the engine and put it on their dyno and twin plug it at the same time though.
1970 2.2 911 T / Ex RS Clone, now more original looking, with 1979 3.2 SS engine
1988 3.2 Carrera Commemorative edition (sold)
Dr_Danger
DDK Fanatic

Post by Dr_Danger »

Booked at Northampton Motorsport for September as its the earliest they have. BS Motorsport as backup. Looks like Peter Baldwin has retired.

My carbs are actually IDS with extra enrichment so I suspect my standard 2.0 is a tiny bit rich at the top end but thats not where the problems are. As with most I suspect its the crucial idle - 2500 rpm range.
'65 911 300882 RHD
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

If you're still searching at some I'd recommend Peter Burgess in Derbyshire.
http://www.peter-burgess.com/mobilepage.html
Dr_Danger
DDK Fanatic

Post by Dr_Danger »

Update, went to Northampton Motorsport, luckily didn't spend too much time as diagnosed two issues.

1) The distributor curve is not right
2) The carb butterfly shaft bushes are shot and have a lot of movement

No point of continuing from there until I got these sorted. Carbs have been professionally rebuilt less than 2000 miles ago, including new teflon bushes. Not sure how it is possible to wear the out in 2000 miles but shall find out when I get the carbs off. Found a few other things not right on the carbs before, so a cautionary tale - be weary who you send the carbs for rebuild along with a 2000 dollar cheque for rebuild even if it is a reputable well known outfit. It worked out $1 per mile of use :-)
'65 911 300882 RHD