Carb Whisperer needed

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Dr_Danger
DDK Fanatic

Carb Whisperer needed

Post by Dr_Danger »

Could anyone recommend a carb tuning guru (i'm on 40 IDAs). Have followed every guide imaginable and perhaps have ran out of own talent. I'm in Bedfordshire so somewhere in the South East would be preferable.
'65 911 300882 RHD
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Carb Whisperer needed

Post by KS »

Neil Bainbridge, Tutthill, Autofarm... All not far from you.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
jonno1
I luv DDK!

Post by jonno1 »

Northampton Motorsport - book it onto a rolling road there - they did my 66 on Weber 40IDS.
1958 356A Coupe
987 Gen 2 Boxster
986 2.5 Boxster
Dr_Danger
DDK Fanatic

Post by Dr_Danger »

Just came out of Tuthills with the issues I'm having now, reluctant to go with big boys to be honest.
'65 911 300882 RHD
Sam

Post by Sam »

I used Northampton Motorsport a bit back in the day, they did a great job on the 45s I put on a VX motor.

Peter Baldwin is old-school, he used to be in Wimpole just east of you but recently moved a bit further away to Cambridge: https://www.regency-autos.co.uk/
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Berny
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Berny »

Thats a name from the past Peter used to set up my 850 Mini on the rolling road with split choke 45s good Guy.
1971 Targa Sportomatic in Green 1972 2.4e sunroof coupe 1990 964 C2 Member no 82
mycar

Post by mycar »

For what it's worth, I had Webers on my 911. They bamboozled me for a very long time. I twice payed expert companies to rebuild them and I had expert tuners run my car on rolling roads many times. I learned about tuning the carbs, I learned how to take them apart and put them back together again and sometimes my car ran well but most times it ran on 5 cylinders.

Looking back I should have been able to at least accurately diagnose the problem. The fault was there for all to see. When tuning the car one cylinder didn't really respond to the turning of the screws... sometimes. And that plug was often oily.

It turned out that one of the galleries in one of the carbs, a gallery that was impossible to get at without removing the lead plugs, had quite a big piece of gunk floating around in it that was interrupting the fuel supply.

Now I'm not suggesting that you have the same problem I had. My point is that by paying more attention to the fault I had and by really tying the symptoms down, I would have been better able to make a diagnosis.

As it was, I changed the plug leads, the distributor many times and even the ignition system all to no avail. In the end it was advice here on DDK that steered me in the right direction and I got there in the end.

Carburettors can be incredible frustrating bast*rds... and yet things of great beauty in their complexity.

I miss my Webers.

What seems to be the problem with your carbs ?
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Two other names Angus as Greatworth and Mike Champion. Both near Banbury

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Dr_Danger
DDK Fanatic

Post by Dr_Danger »

What seems to be the problem with your carbs ?
Don't want to turn this into tech discussion on carbs really but just as a summary, carbs have been rebuilt, seemingly running correctly. Fuel tank was changed as original was leaking at the seam and since then it's been carburation chaos. You'd assume some dirt or debris but ive had the carbs apart myself now, blown through passages with compressed air, corrected a few bits etc. The car is driveable but not useable , it seems impossible for me at least to tune the idle circuit, its either too lean on takeup past 2000rpm or if that is ok then it's too lean at idle having all sorts of noises. It seems that it is jetting size issue but i've spent enough time in the engine bay breathing fuel fumes now.
'65 911 300882 RHD
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

Sam wrote:I used Northampton Motorsport a bit back in the day, they did a great job on the 45s I put on a VX motor.

Peter Baldwin is old-school, he used to be in Wimpole just east of you but recently moved a bit further away to Cambridge: https://www.regency-autos.co.uk/
+1 for Peter

A true racing legend and smashing fellow. He set up my 914 for many years on carbs including re-jetting etc.
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
Simon Rudge
DDK forever

Post by Simon Rudge »

I have a guy in north Essex, works out of his scrap yard,old school rolling road, no computer print outs. Whispers carbs in between balancing cranks etc.

Happy to put you in touch.
Simon

1970 911T (with E motor)
1978 Moto Guzzi 850T3
daily whatever parts chaser.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

rhd racer wrote:
Sam wrote:I used Northampton Motorsport a bit back in the day, they did a great job on the 45s I put on a VX motor.

+1 for Peter

A true racing legend and smashing fellow. He set up my 914 for many years on carbs including re-jetting etc.
I thought Peter had retired. Health issues?

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
mycar

Post by mycar »

Dr_Danger wrote:
...but i've spent enough time in the engine bay breathing fuel fumes now.
You have my sympathies, it does get a bit toxic in there, especially if things aren't going well and the weather is warm.

I used to dream about tipping my Webers in the bin and buying a pair of beautiful PMOs with the little windows.

Plenty of good recommendations for a carb saviour listed here . None of the experts I used mentioned.

With a bit of luck you'll get things sorted soon.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Simon Rudge wrote:I have a guy in north Essex, works out of his scrap yard,old school rolling road, no computer print outs. Whispers carbs in between balancing cranks etc.

Happy to put you in touch.
Mike Jennings?
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Loz
Married to the DDK

Post by Loz »

There's B D Engineering in Rainham, near Gillingham, Kent.

Speak to Andy. Very knowledgeable old school tuning guy.
1970 911t Coupe 2626

"I've started so I'll finish"