914/6 Clutch, throttle and speedo cables

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

914Chap
DDK addict

914/6 Clutch, throttle and speedo cables

Post by 914Chap »

Hi,

I have just installed a 6 cylinder engine in my 914 and I am in the process of connecting everything up. I have a 'suspension strap' for the throttle cable and speedo cable possibly and a 'clamp' for the clutch cable? These are both original porsche parts but I have no idea where these should be located or fastened to on the underside of the engine.

The clutch cable would appear to be the most problematic as it seems to be about 2 inches too long, and might end up on the heat exchanger if i'm not careful. Has anyone any experience of locating the cables?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers Jonathan.
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: 914/6 Clutch, throttle and speedo cables

Post by defianty »

I just used a single P clamp I attached to the bottom of the engine somewhere if i remember rightly. They then snaked quite nicely under the engine. Sorry I don't have the car here with me, I'd take a photo if I did.
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
914Chap
DDK addict

Post by 914Chap »

Thanks for the reply,

I will take a look for the best place to locate the 'P' clip that I bought from Porsche. I think it was the most expensive P clip I ever bought, haha.

Hopefully the speedo cable and throttle cable will be OK and the P clip can tame the clutch cable.

Cheers Jonathan.
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

The 914-6 used a different clutch cable, it is an inch shorter and more heavy duty than the standard 914-4.
914 Daily driver since 1990
914Chap
DDK addict

Post by 914Chap »

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the 914/6 cable is still available?

Also, do you know where the 'Suspension strap' the 8 inch long flexible strap locates to support the throttle and speedo cable?

Cheers Jonathan.
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

914-6 Clutch Cable Part No. 914 423 401 02, Gemo make a repro as the OM cable is very expensive and now part No. 914 423 401 08.

You can tell the difference between the 4 and 6 clutch cable by looking at the part that goes in the tunnel; the 6 clutch cable does not have a sleeve over the cable.

The strap 911 424 341 04 mounts on a stud on the crankcase in line with cylinder No.6.
914 Daily driver since 1990
914Chap
DDK addict

Post by 914Chap »

Thanks Kev,

I thought the clutch cable might be the only part on the car I did not need to replace, haha, how wrong was I. I'll take a look and see what I can source from the part numbers.

Much appreciated.

Jonathan.
914Chap
DDK addict

Post by 914Chap »

Hi Kev, or anyone else who feels like chipping in for that matter,

Just thought I would post an update. I have acquired a 914/6 cable from Andy M and it has resolved the original problem I had of the cable being too long between the bulkhead and the gearbox. Just as you told me it is about an inch shorter. I have also fitted the suspension strap and the P clip which has tidied up the cables so they will not fall onto the heat exchanger!

You were also correct in that the cable is heavier than the 914.

However, I now have a secondary problem in that the inner cable now appears to be too short. I have managed to connect everything up but both the clevis at the pedal end and the thread at the clutch release arm are at the end of their adjustment and there is no free play in the clutch adjustment. Not quite sure at the moment why this would be? Could be due to my pedal box being from a RHD 911 which may have resulted in it ending up in a slightly different position to the original 914. Are there any other changes that have been made to the 914 that could have affected the inner cable length? I was wondering if the clutch tube through the bulkhead had changed at any point during 914 production?

Well it's progress of a kind if not a total solution yet.

Cheers Jonathan.