912 case cracked. what to do?

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

zPorsche
DDK Newbie

912 case cracked. what to do?

Post by zPorsche »

Hello friends,

I'm new here even though I registered a while back while i searched for a car. I recently acquired my dream, a 1966 912. It had been standing for a while with the previous owner and I've only just started to look at all the problems. The plan is to get it up and running as is and sort things out over time.. sort of rolling restoration?

The big dent in that plan is what I found when I put in fresh oil and it completed drained out. As you can see the crack is pretty big and I am sad as its a matching numbers car (although its been repainted from og irish green to red).

so what to do? replace the cases? or can they be repaired? I would like to keep it a matching numbers car. Please excuse my noob questions as I'm new at it.
Attachments
912 crack 2.jpg
912 crack .jpg
912 crack .jpg
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Re: 912 case cracked. what to do?

Post by Mike Smith »

We have just finished rebuilding a 356 Engine that was original to the car and was cracked in 3 places

Post some more Photos - I cannot work out where that crack is and how it has happened

I cannot imagine that it is not repairable but if that turns out to be the case (sorry for the pun) then we have a number of 912 cases
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Looks like the sump area, leading edge (can see the sump plate, fins and drain bolt). Must have taken a hefty impact.
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Yep - you are probably correct

Should not be a problem although it looks like a chunk missing, so we might have to slice a bit out of a scrap case to repair it
Still not a problem
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
zPorsche
DDK Newbie

Post by zPorsche »

Mike Smith wrote:We have just finished rebuilding a 356 Engine that was original to the car and was cracked in 3 places
Post some more Photos - I cannot work out where that crack is and how it has happened
I cannot imagine that it is not repairable but if that turns out to be the case (sorry for the pun) then we have a number of 912 cases
Ah that gives me hope.. its a difficult place to photograph. i did make a video. https://youtu.be/6Uap2I4tJPA

Bruce M wrote:Looks like the sump area, leading edge (can see the sump plate, fins and drain bolt). Must have taken a hefty impact.
Yes its the sump area.
Mike Smith wrote:Yep - you are probably correct
Should not be a problem although it looks like a chunk missing, so we might have to slice a bit out of a scrap case to repair it
Still not a problem
what material is it? will any scrap case do? that is non Porsche? I can load the metal on and fill the crack and then machine it. Alternatively I have a Auto Linea VW universal case but I'm not sure if I can use that and transplant the rest (if the original cases are non repairable).
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Well, it certainly looks like a big old hit and it will depend on any other damage that may be found

Whatever is the final decision the engine has to come out be cleaned and examined
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
zPorsche
DDK Newbie

Post by zPorsche »

Mike Smith wrote:Well, it certainly looks like a big old hit and it will depend on any other damage that may be found

Whatever is the final decision the engine has to come out be cleaned and examined
yes no way around it. from what I can tell the material. its more a separation gap caused by hitting a rock or something.
just reconfirming..the blocks the aluminium right? and not magnesium?

Thanks for all your help guys! will keep posting as i get further.
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Yes, it is aluminum NOT Mag.

We have a number of cases that are not worth rebuilding, for many different reasons, so it is easier enough to cut a matching piece of material from one of them and then graft it into your case - IF! that proves to be actually necessary
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
zPorsche
DDK Newbie

Post by zPorsche »

Mike Smith wrote:Yes, it is aluminum NOT Mag.

We have a number of cases that are not worth rebuilding, for many different reasons, so it is easier enough to cut a matching piece of material from one of them and then graft it into your case - IF! that proves to be actually necessary
ah that's great! will keep that in mind. for now it's gonna sit till after xmas..lack of time and funds.

Thanks again for all your help!
356Monkey
DDK Fanatic

Post by 356Monkey »

Did you get your case fixed? I have a 912 case for sale. It's a matching case with all 3 pieces but you could always bolt your third piece onto it to kind of keep your engine number (albeit the 3 digit case number will differ - unless by a 999 to 1 shot they also match!!
1964 Porsche 356c (RHD)
1957 Vespa GS 150 VS3
1960 Vespa GS 150 VS5
1960 Lambretta Li125
1963 Lambretta Li150 series 3
1962 Lambretta TV175
1966 Lambretta SX200
Tinman
DDK Newbie

Post by Tinman »

Yes that can be welded I have repaired several aluminium cases off various different things
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Tinman wrote:Yes that can be welded I have repaired several aluminium cases off various different things
Why don't you introduce yourself on the introduction thread?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP