356 Speedster Flat6 outlaw build

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

greg356a
I luv DDK!

Re: 356 Speedster Flat6 outlaw build

Post by greg356a »

Hi, The old VW clocks are pre-digital and don't really have any form of adjustment. The ratio of internal cogs are set at the factory. By adjusting the printed gaps/ space between the numerals the speed will read differently. I am not 100% sure but I guess that they will provide the certificate based on the measurements you give them, might be worth talking to your local IVA inspector to check its ok. With more modern digital clocks these can obviously be adjusted/ calibrated for different tyre/ wheel combinations. There are a number of Replica clocks available these may have ability to adjust for accuracy.
The requirement is that the clock reads slower than the actual by up to 10%.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
porschewagen
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by porschewagen »

I have fitted my coupe replica with a genuine 356a Speedo and I’m using original size 15” wheels and tyres (Vredestein 165/80s).

In theory the Speedo should therefore read as Porsche intended back in 1956...

Given the standard factory set up, do you think the IVA inspector will still require me to provide a certificate of proof?
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

I did ask the IVA inspector who said that if they could not test the speedo reading (ie rear drive/ front axle sensor), proof needed to be provided. He elaborated by saying it needed to be some form of official laboratory certificate. I agree using correct/ original speedo tyre/ wheel combo the speed should be accurate. The facility in Donington that mdmax72 mentioned should be a good starting point.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

While I am waiting for the registration documents from DVLA, I thought I would start to get ready for the 1st drive.

So the heated windscreen has been fitted along with the wipers and washers. I spoke with Gary at Speedster Clinic during the week who gave me some pointers on fitting. The screen lines up with the front of the hard top but looks like I will need to do some trimming. The build continues :)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
Richardab1967
DDK Fanatic

Post by Richardab1967 »

greg356a wrote:I did ask the IVA inspector who said that if they could not test the speedo reading (ie rear drive/ front axle sensor), proof needed to be provided. He elaborated by saying it needed to be some form of official laboratory certificate. I agree using correct/ original speedo tyre/ wheel combo the speed should be accurate. The facility in Donington that mdmax72 mentioned should be a good starting point.
A bit of googling and i believe we need a rolling road that does 4x4’s as they can sense both front and rear. Unfortunately there are none near me.

Greg, if I recall you didnt fit the screen for the test, any raised eyebrows about that, i thought they were closing in on that loophole, although maybe easier to pull off on a speedster than a coupe.

Regarding the regsitration, do the iva people have an input or is it direct with dvla now. Just curious about who confirms your build up report as I remember you are being quite canny with the v5, donor car, 2 major components to not get a Q. Do the iva people comment on it, or do the dvla just take your word.
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Sounds like the 4x4 roller should work, depending on paperwork confirmation you receive. With regard to the screen it was ok for the speedster not to have a screen/ frame fitted, I permanently filled all the fixing holes in so there was no need to fit a screen.

A coupe is completely different as there will obviously be something missing ie the screen. If an item is missing it would be considered a fail. I thought the coupe screen E marking/ heated-demisting issue had been resolved?

You have to send the build up report to DVLA showing components used and V5C of the donor which in my case was the 944, they can ask to see the car before registration. I guess this would mean taking it on trailer to the local DVLA office, will hopefully know more soon.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
porschewagen
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by porschewagen »

Richard, on the coupe screen point, if it’s any help I ordered mine from Pilkington Classics. It is e-43r marked and heated. Cost a shade over £500 delivered and there was a 10 week lead time. That said they had 2 delivered into their Crawley branch when mine arrived from the factory. That was late April so a big chance the other is still sitting on the shelf.
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Tempting to fit a heated screen to my 1959 356A coupe, but then I don't drive it during the winter, rain etc - hence the more usable speedster which I can drive - hopefully soon

Called into Spikes Vintage Restoration today to talk about painting the speedster. Wow the quality of their workmanship is awesome. They were working on an urgent Ford GT40 for CLM. Amazing. Just need to sell an arm and leg :)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
Richardab1967
DDK Fanatic

Post by Richardab1967 »

porschewagen wrote:Richard, on the coupe screen point, if it’s any help I ordered mine from Pilkington Classics. It is e-43r marked and heated. Cost a shade over £500 delivered and there was a 10 week lead time. That said they had 2 delivered into their Crawley branch when mine arrived from the factory. That was late April so a big chance the other is still sitting on the shelf.
No worries on the screen, i have managed to source iva compliant screen for pre-A. I was just curious what iva inspectors made of lack of screen on speedster, sounds like it went fine....they must know the score!
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

lovely present from the DVLA today :) :)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
Richardab1967
DDK Fanatic

Post by Richardab1967 »

greg356a wrote:lovely present from the DVLA today :) :)
Excellent news. Did you get the age related plate you were after?
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

Hi Greg,

Are you totally legal now! to be let loose on our roads ;-). Nice weather at the moment, enjoy.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

So I now have a V5C and a V948 with an age related plate. Registered as a Speedster Clinic 356, sports 2 seater, with correct chassis and engine numbers. I thought it was really good that the V5C shows that it has passed the IVA test

So off to get some plates made up this morning and nervously fingers crossed for the maiden drive this afternoon.

Whilst this closes nearly five years of building and chapter 1 of the story, I have loads of plans for finishing the car off.

Ideas around some more body mods around wings, Talbot Berlin 333 mirrors, Moto lita mk3 steering wheel, 3 by 3 number plate in black/ silver (show only), new dash top, trim and fit hard top, power windows, suspension geometry tinkering, electronic ignition/ distributor, Turbo Thomas exhaust, bumpers tight to body, carpet and then Paint.
Last edited by greg356a on Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

Sounds like you have a direction you want to go with it Greg.

This for me was the fun bit. Having a shakedown, Changing things over and getting to drive what you have created as you go along. You’ll end up re-doing certain things that you thought was a good idea at the time but with a clearer head and pressure off you can improve.

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh at some point.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

So first drive complete :) Just a couple of miles around the block with Mrs Greg. Big smiles.

The engine needs a lot of work/ tuning, I think setting it up to meet emissions maybe at odds with it running smoothly.

But a great feeling.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw