Another seat question

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

911GP
DDK forever

Another seat question

Post by 911GP »

Hi,
I hope you can help me because I have had no luck whatsoever from Porsche. My car (late 1973 911E RHD) has Recaro seats fitted (not the Sport) version - see picture below. The COA I recently received states that the car had Recaro Sports seats fitted as an optional extra. Now I am aware these COAs are notoriously inaccurate so I contacted Porsche GB customer service to verify this and they came back a day later saying the COA is correct and the original seats were Recaro Sports.

However, I find this hard to believe since the seats I have look original. They have the correct leatherette and corduroy stated on the COA and they have aged as if they were originals. Technically they are correct too, since they have the right "peanut" headrests, have double locking bases and the correct tilt lever to get into the back. Also, since my car is a late 1973 model, these were one of the last seats made so I imagine it would have been difficult to change the seats from Sports to touring post manufacture.

A fellow DDKer recommended getting hold of the Kardex since this would have stated the exact ordered seats so I emailed Porsche Classic customer service in Germany and they passed it back to Porsche GB. I then called Porsche Classic in Germany to explain the issue and they said they understand my issue and would get back to me but I have not heard back since. Maybe it is just a simple case of the Kardex being wrongly translated from German to English when the COA was produced. I have looked at some other RHD 1973 911E cars on this site and they all have Recaro Sports seats so maybe mine are not original. I would like to be sure since I don't really want to have to go hunting for a pair of Recaro Sports double lockers which seem to go for ludicrous money and I actually quite like my seats.

Would any of you be able to help me identify whether the seats I have are original by further examining the seats or if you have a contact who has access to the Kardex and can accurately translate it?

Many, many thanks
Gitesh

911GP
DDK forever

Re: Another seat question

Post by 911GP »

Update for you. Porsche Classic in Germany, Porsche GB and an inside source recommended to me at Porsche Germany have all confirmed that the car originally had Sports seats and they have referred to the the Kardex to verify this. So on this occasion the COA was correct after all. I have also noticed that the seatbelt receiver fitted to the seats I have is the extended type which is usually found on Sports seats (please correct me if I am wrong). Everything is pointing towards Sports seats being fitted originally and then swapped to touring seats at some point while keeping the original seat belt receivers.
veertientien
DDK addict

Post by veertientien »

Indeed and they kept the head rests as well. Comfort seat came with D type headrest.

Cees
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Even over 10 years ago the sport seats were worth strong money so likely hood is one of the owners did a deal and sold them and replaced them with some cheaper standard ones
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

The receiver doesn't look like the longer type to me but it's difficult to be sure from one photo.

A lot of Rhd 73 E UK dellivered examples had sport recaros so it's no surprise yours might have had them. A James says the temptation somewhere in the last 40 years for an owner to 'cash in' and fit standard seats is highly likely.

Does your car have the lux package fitted? Nearly all UK 73 Rhd E's seem to have been which might also suggest sport recaros were an original item.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by stretch »

The tell tale from a distance on a sport seat receiver is the large pin sticking out of the plate below the plastic cover.
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
911GP
DDK forever

Post by 911GP »

Mike, yes it had the lux pack fitted (per the CoA) although I am not sure what this comprises of other than chrome wheel arch trim.

I am now certain that the car originally had sports seats.
Thank you all for helping.
Gitesh
911GP
DDK forever

Post by 911GP »

veertientien wrote:Indeed and they kept the head rests as well. Comfort seat came with D type headrest.

Cees
An interesting point to note here is that I have seen two original '73 cars in the US that have comfort seats with peanut headrests. One of these is the famous 700 mile purple car. The other is a car built a few models before mine. Maybe the factory was using whatever headrests they had to hand on these last models.

My only confirmation that my car had sports seats comes from the factory so I will have to go with this. I expect they referred to the Kardex but I haven't seen a copy of it myself and I wouldn't mind seeing it but I don't think they are available for 73 year. Please let me know if any of you have a source.
Thanks
Gitesh
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

If your car had sports recaros it would have had peanut headrests in 73 unless the recaros were leather.
And I think it was the same with comfort seats.

A trip to the archive in Stuttgart is one option to get a copy of your cardex unless you know someone there who will do it for you. Take proof of ownership of the vehicle if you go. You might have to Email repeatedly first before you go to set up an appointment.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
majordad
I luv DDK!

Post by majordad »

How does one arrange a trip to the archive, do you make a specific request about a specific car , and how much time and freedom do they allow you? My reason is I'd like to research my 993 Cup RSR.
1972 2.4S, since 1988
993 RSR Cup
73 RS Rep Race
2018 GT3RS Lizard
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

I think KS has a contact email address. It’s a long time since I did this with my cars and it wasn’t done through official channels then. I think they have tightened up the system since and a prior appointment is now with evidence that you own the car needed but I could be wrong. It seems reasonable that information is only disclosed to the appropriate party. There may be others who know of a back door way in but I have lost my contact for this. I’m sure I read recently that is is a criminal offence in Germany to disclose such information inappropriately.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
sanjay
DDK slapper chatter

Post by sanjay »

If you need a kardex- you can still get them .

Several people on this site can get them for a price.

For ? post 71 cars, you get a copy of the information but not a copy of the actual Kardex.

Merry Christmas

Sanjay
aston
DDK slapper chatter

Post by aston »

Kieron.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48230
2.4E (1973).
Suzuki DRZ400S (2006).
BMW R1200RS (2018).
Yamaha XT500 (1978).
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

210bhp wrote:If your car had sports recaros it would have had peanut headrests in 73 unless the recaros were leather.
I recently acquired a set of sports seat with double lockers that were original to a mid 73 built car. Interestingly they have D-shape headrests which I'm certain are original too. To be fair the seats might originally have been leather as they have been recovered however when looking around to double check this I noticed a number sports seats in 2.7RS's with D-shape headrests too?

Coincidentally the the comfort seats currently in my E came from a UK RHD march built coupe and were 100% original before I retrimmed them, these too had D-shape headrest.

I've read what is accepted as being correct although see many examples that contradict this thinking..........a grey area imo? :?
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Mine are 73 double lockers and have D headrests ... I'm not sure what their original covering was, are retrimmed all leather now
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)