Hedingham - Classics at The Castle 2017

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Hugh Jorgan
Married to the DDK

Re: Hedingham - Classics at The Castle 2017

Post by Hugh Jorgan »

It was the first CatC I've been to.

Loved the venue, if I was being picky it was a bit spread out, it almost felt like 5 different shows going on.
Great 356 turn out, it probably made the event, the walk up the hill was almost an anticlimax!!

The 'S' theme wasn't really obvious, but what ever, the event it's self attracted some nice cars all the way out east!! (move it a bit more central!!)

Couldn't miss curry goat and a patty, although not as good as the mother inlaw's!!!
Its a thankless task organising any sort of event, I wouldn't want to do it!!! It would be a tragedy if it didn't continue, Porsche GB, PCGB or who ever need to ensure it's future.

I'll go again.
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

To answer Mike 210 BHP. There were between 40 and 50 "S" models parked in rows in a separate area in VIN number order to try to reflect a chronological production date. There were a number of SWB on display (6?). Some owners had indicated the history of their particular vehicle but most did not. There was no specific history about the model in general or its relevance. No PA was available, as far as I was aware, for someone to talk about the cars. Given the layout of the event I am not sure this would have worked anyway. There was a very large feature banner in front of which were three SWB. I have no idea why there are no pictures of the "S" models, which were at the event, on DDK. I have a few but I am unable to post them from my mobile phone.

A number of other posts have refered to the post 1974 parking area. On my first attendance in 2012 (?) I arrived in a 993. The parking was zoned into model types: SC, 3.00, 964, 993 etc and on into transaxle cars etc. The problem was that it was impossible to determine how many spaces were needed for each model type. (No pre booking made the logistics of this complete and inaccurate guess work). Consequently, any semblance or orderlyness soon broke down and drivers just parked where they felt like it.
Notions of model type parking are a nice idea but requires collection of model types numbers on pre booking (not popular on here) of tickets, a volunteer to set out the parking area according to numbers expected and then a number of volunteers to police the area all day and direct individuals to an appropriate parking spot. I can tell you from experience not every Porsche driver at such events wants to cooperate and can become pretty difficult and rude. Like all these things it takes planning and volunteers to make it happen. It is simple to make a suggestion, but as I have said elsewhere, when it comes to volunteering there seems to be a shortage of man or woman power.
Last edited by BILLY BEAN on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rust Never Sleeps
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

I was in the post-74 Porsche car park this time (trusty 993, chosen because it was actually working on the day).

Agree the lack of grouping doesn't make for an interesting display, but I think that's fair enough. A field full of 997s, Boxsters and Macans does not constitute an unmissable attraction. Might as well just wander round Farnham station car park if that's what floats your boat.

In my view it's fine to leave that one as a car park, not a display. Keep the display area focused pre-74. And try to attract as many proper exotics (race cars, quad-cams, 904s, etc) as possible. You don't visit the zoo to look at rabbits.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

inaglasshouse wrote:I was in the post-74 Porsche car park this time (trusty 993, chosen because it was actually working on the day).

Agree the lack of grouping doesn't make for an interesting display, but I think that's fair enough. A field full of 997s, Boxsters and Macans does not constitute an unmissable attraction. Might as well just wander round Farnham station car park if that's what floats your boat.

In my view it's fine to leave that one as a car park, not a display. Keep the display area focused pre-74. And try to attract as many proper exotics (race cars, quad-cams, 904s, etc) as possible. You don't visit the zoo to look at rabbits.
Agree with this. Never understood why post 74 owners moan about having to park to the side of a pre73 show. Same way I wouldn't moan about not being able to park my 2.4 in the line up at a pre-a meet.

I've always enjoyed CaC , always had a nice vibe to it and a great collection of cars and people. Admittedly I'm talking about the early shows as the last one I went to was I think the RS special one. , so can't really comment on the most recent ones.

You can't please everyone, so in my opinion you shouldn't try too . You just get a watered down version of what you originally set out to do. Concentrate on what the original core idea behind the show was and go from there.
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 964RS »

KS wrote:
Sam wrote: I'll keep going because it's 40 miles from home, but totes understand that others don't find enough new to warrant a £100 / 6-8 hour round trip.
If only... For me 680 mile 11 hour round trip, 30 gallons at £5.50 per gallon (that's being conservative) = £165, plus £83 accommodation, plus food... See you there next time! :)
Lucky you have that expenses account then eh ImageImage
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by stretch »

I have also been to everyone of the days at the Castle. It is a fantastic day out. Would i moan if i had to travel four or five hours to the venue, absolutely not. Yes it was a little different this year because of the ticket situation and the lack of the hill drive, but it is still a unique event here in the UK. I agree that an auto jumble would bring more to the event. Nothing beats hunting for that part in the flesh at your favourite car show of the year. I preferred the layout in 2015 when all the traders were in the same location. This year this field was partly dominated by a huge Porsche GB tent which was a waste of space in my opinion.

I and a few others visited the swap meet at Aneheim in the US earlier in the year, our event beats that, hands down.

We are very lucky to have it in our back yard.

Dave
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
dogbower
DDK forever

Post by dogbower »

First off let me give my thanks to the organisers, I hope you got some pleasure in doing it.

I am not the kind of person who enjoys a static display, I enjoy DDK get togethers for the drive, I am not even that bothered about seeing a field full of early cars, I have one in the garage, and to be honest they all look the same.
So maybe not your target audience :lol:
However if my journey to/from the event was in my 911 in the company of others it may have added to my enjoyment, and therefore opinion of the event. However my car is in bits so no interesting trip and we parked up top in the BMW car park( some interesting stuff up there)
I had the same kind of journey time as Keith, and I was willing to travel that far as I wanted to see, for once, a static display of early cars to help me decide on a colour for mine.
So the event fulfilled my needs, booking ahead great, (but surely on the day as well is a must).
Would I attend again?
It was a nice relaxed atmosphere, lovely setting, but not enough going on to justify the distance.

Stuart.
1971 911E
1990 986S
Hendrik Moulds
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

KS wrote:
Sam wrote: I'll keep going because it's 40 miles from home, but totes understand that others don't find enough new to warrant a £100 / 6-8 hour round trip.
If only... For me 680 mile 11 hour round trip, 30 gallons at £5.50 per gallon (that's being conservative) = £165, plus £83 accommodation, plus food... See you there next time! :)
I think the autojumble idea and roving mike would definitely enhance the show.
As for making the effort to go, I got back from the Swiss PreA meeting on the Friday and drove the 220 miles down on the Saturday (I've got a reputation to keep up).

I've been to every one of these and have no intention of stopping. Yes, some years it's better than others but it must be impossible to know what will work before actually trying it.
Keep up the good work Fred, Simon and Jamie! :)
(Formally 356ist)
Membership #: 356!
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
1961 Sunroof Coupe (Sold)
1962 Coupe (Gone, but not forgotten!)
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
Yellow491
Married to the DDK

Post by Yellow491 »

I thought it was a great event,some quality restorations on show,great to meet old friends,dinner and beer,and icing on the cake 4 hour drive there and 5 1/2 hours back ,although my ears have taken a bit of bashing.
More central would encourage some fresh cars,a bit of driving would be good at the event,but on the whole a good special day.
Well done to the organisers yet again
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

210bhp wrote: What exactly was the focus? Was there a displayed history through the years of the S? Was there a public commentary of the S models? Was there a line up of the S models through the years? Was there a parade of the S models? Were they singled out and displayed as a group in chronological order? Where are the pictures? Will there be a write up somewhere in the future?
Hi Mike,
In case it helps, here's a set of "official" pics. PCGB has sent out some thanks for attending emails, with a link to these:
https://www.porscheclubgb.com/news-and- ... the-castle
Gives an idea, I hope.
Cheers, Richard.
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

Thanks Richard

Possibly a bit more to come in PP in a future issue no doubt.

I still haven't seen a clear picture of your car, or Mark's newly restored 67S, or Garry's, or the one with lovely sports seats but I did see Lyvvie.
I did mention the gathering to two chaps living abroad with Rhd 67S's who might have shipped/driven their cars over had the proposals for display been a little clearer in the build up. Not to worry, ddk could always draw as many together at a future event.

Thanks again,

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Guy
Married to the DDK

Post by Guy »

Here are some of the early impact bumper cars that were at the event.

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/Regions-R ... astle-2017
1977 Carrera 3.0
1974 Carrera 2.7 in bits.
Rob 911/356
DDK Fanatic

Post by Rob 911/356 »

Only one picture in the Porsche post, view of the 911's from the top of the keep.
Rob

996 Turbo S RHD
69-911S. RHD
66-912 LHD Sold
64-356C LHD
57-356 cab LHD sold
56-356A RHD
55- Speedster LHD sold
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Rob 911/356 wrote:Only one picture in the Porsche post, view of the 911's from the top of the keep.
And the front cover of PP.
Rust Never Sleeps
chris hak
DDK slapper chatter

Post by chris hak »

Porsche Post went to print soon after the event giving little time for proper write-ups. There will be more content next month, keep an eye on the individual Register and Region reports.
3.2 Carrera