Hedingham - Classics at The Castle 2017

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Hedingham - Classics at The Castle 2017

Post by 911hillclimber »

More than 2 decades ago I used to visit the Porsche -Only autojumble at Husband Crawley with John, FCD on here. We even had a stand once or twice, a guy called Alan organised it and it was free-flowing, sociable and interesting. The car park across the way from the country pub was full of lots of Porsches and equally interesting.

This was before ebay so for bits you were searching for, this was THE event to go to.

They were great meetings, good location, pub was open and doing Bacon Baps etc all day and it had a real buzz.
Come forward 20 years and a similar style would be nice imho along with the excellent suggestions made above by many to make it a bigger interest day, a bit for all and those with them.

Similarly, I attended on spec in my old 911 a local VW bash at the historic town of Bridgnorth on the river Severn.

Lots of VW's, some other air cooled (scooters), trade stands, good catering and a good live band with lots of stripy deck chairs to relax on, and my lone 911 which was invited in as it 'fitted' into the main area.
The event had a large (full) public car park field with normal cars in it.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Phil Parry
Married to the DDK

Post by Phil Parry »

What a thoughtful and considered bunch!

My two pennorth:

- CATC is an immovable entry in my diary being the only classic Porsche show in the U.K. I'm aware of.
- We (in the UK) don't quite seem to be as cohesive when it comes to events as they are in the 356Registry in the States although the International and the Pre A event show that something of that ilk is possible in Europe. I for one would sign up for - and get involved helping with - a drive, hotel and dinner the evening before CATC. I think that would be great fun.
- Autojumble? Absolutely. I was at Beaulieu Autojumble the day before - there's only so much Lucas, Unipart and BL stuff a Porsche fan can cope with. Robin and his blanket of parts were great (again) and I was delighted to pick up some rusty and greasy old toot . My wife didn't quite get my excitement upon my return home. A pat on the head and "that's nice dear". (Or was that my mum?)
- I don't know much about race cars and later Porsches so I think Keith's roving mic idea is a good one (if you can find speakers that transmit voice rather than crackle and feedback).
- I really enjoyed chatting to people that, 3rd or 4th time of meeting, are starting to feel like old friends and meeting new Porsche owners. I could have done with another few hours to chat and then another few to see all the 911s up top and the post-74 cars round the back.

A big thank you to Fred, Simon and Jamie. Keep it up (please), ask for volunteers on here if that would help, by all means tweak and play with the format, but I'll be back come what may.
Phil Parry
Essex, UK

1972 VW Camper (unrestored original low mileage)
1954 53 model pre-A 1500S in Adria Blue
1957 speedster in Acquamarine Blue

Been and gone:
1960 B Coupe, now in Scotland
1964, 1954, 1949 VW Beetles
PhilipB
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PhilipB »

Just want to extend my thanks to the CATC organisers for pulling together another great event. This is the only "Porsche KG" focussed event in the UK and I for one really missed its absence last year. Fred, Simon and Jamie put in a huge amount of effort on our behalf - I think they are the ones who should be receiving bottles of champagne at the prize giving.

In terms of suggestions for the future, I would encourage some element of being able to see cars being driven - especially the race cars. Hedingham clearly has limited potential in this regard. I had assumed there were no parades this year because they had been deemed too dangerous although I note Simon's comment that it was more a matter of time to arrange insurance. Nevertheless it must be very difficult to drive a 917 at 20 mph, and not good for the car either. It may require a change in venue but if there was somewhere to run cars at a reasonable (not necessarily racing) speed then I think the event would attract a lot of very interesting machinery.
Philip
Andy J
DDK addict

Post by Andy J »

Really enjoyed the day, be a real shame for this event not to happen in the future, like Phil said its the main Porsche event of the year
Good friends, parts, lots of Porsches, food, beer its a great day out and a chance to catch up.
Well done to all the organisation team, all the traders and of course Robin with his blanket of rare parts.

Don't we all miss Eric.

Andy.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Was the turnout much worse than previous years?

It felt quieter without our northern chapter present (we missed yuze gize), but I don't remember the 356 area better stocked than it was this year - there were loads of them.

It must be really tough for Fred, Simon and Jamie to keep thinking of fresh ideas to satisfy our short attention spans, never mind finding the time and resources to implement them.

I'll keep going because it's 40 miles from home, but totes understand that others don't find enough new to warrant a £100 / 6-8 hour round trip.

Maybe biannual would work well in the future...
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
KS

Post by KS »

Sam wrote: I'll keep going because it's 40 miles from home, but totes understand that others don't find enough new to warrant a £100 / 6-8 hour round trip.
If only... For me 680 mile 11 hour round trip, 30 gallons at £5.50 per gallon (that's being conservative) = £165, plus £83 accommodation, plus food... See you there next time! :)
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

KS wrote: If only... For me 680 mile 11 hour round trip, 30 gallons at £5.50 per gallon (that's being conservative) = £165, plus £83 accommodation, plus food... See you there next time! :)
That's the spirit Keith. Well done. Shows commitment.
Rust Never Sleeps
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Sam wrote:Was the turnout much worse than previous years?

It felt quieter ......

but I don't remember the 356 area better stocked than it was this year - there were loads of them.
In 2015 there was a contingent of 10 ? 356's from The Netherlands ( don't think they complained about the distance travelled) which added to the numbers and therefore there were probably more overall than this year.
Rust Never Sleeps
danny
DDK forever

Post by danny »

Firstly, hopefully we all fully value the time, commitment and effort (we probably underestimate) that the organisers put into CATC.
Without that and them it wouldn't exist so long may it continue and i'll be there again to support it next time.
It's a great event full of stunning cars and a chance to catch up and meet other enthusiasts.

I enjoyed the day although i did feel it was a little bit flatter and quieter than my two previous visits. I think maybe a number of those who attended the last few might have a similar view.
On the other hand I met a good few people making their first CATC visit and they thought it was great.
I really missed the parade, was something to look forward to and gave the event a bit more life and vibrancy, although i fully understand why it wasn't an option this year, and i applaud the fact that the organisers gave us an event from a late start point in regards to the logistics of putting it all together.

The change to an advance only ticket policy must have had an effect on numbers, especially for those who have become so used to paying on the gate previously. It wasn't clear enough that in the last few days leading up to the event you could still buy tickets online to collect on the day. For instance PCGB's Porsche Post Mag stated in an article 'Last chance to secure tickets. Members have until Wednesday 30th August to book their space at this years Porsche Classics at the Castle' Now in my book that could be interpreted as if you haven't got a ticket by Wednesday you aint coming. Probably/hopefully an unintended oversight but definitely a big marketing/sales mistake.
Maybe a decent discounted advance ticket system and a more on the door policy might work better.
Whatever is decided it just needs to be clearer.

Some other good points raised earlier.
Bootsy wrote: I think the absence of the event last year had a real effect. People are so fickle and fall out of routine at the drop of a hat even if it is an annual routine. This coupled with pre ticketing and a perception (even if a wrong one) that the organisation had been taken over by PCGB must have had an effect. .
Bootsy wrote:The 'other' Porsches car park seems to have grown and grown yet for obvious reasons always seems detached from the event.

Maybe embrace the later cars more - a pre-74 focused event but encouraging later ones and doing more to integrate them - difficult given the venue I grant you.
I'd like to see the later aircooled cars parked separately from the later water things, especially impact bumpers who imo should all be parked together in one area (ideally 964's & 993's getting parked together too) and try and find solutions to make the later cars area feel like an organised part of the show rather than a jumbled car park.

I'd also like to see all the 914's parked together not just mixed in amongst the pre 74 911's 912's. What happens with the later 914's? the post 73 Porsche car park?
KS wrote:One thing that I would like to see is a PA system that links the top and bottom parts of the venue as it wasn't easy to know what was going on and when – also a 'roving mic (mike?)' like PCGB used to do at events. Tony Webb (the MC) was very good at wandering around the venue, talking to owners and getting them to tell people about their car. Hearing Paul Howells or Mark Finburgh give visitors the stories behind their important cars would be great. And how many visitors really know the differences between a T/R and an ST? Having a knowledgeable person chatting about such cars might add to it. Oh, and I'd like an autojumble, too...
Agree with KS on PA system, works really well when used.

Autojumble, more traders would be great.
Maybe a public vote/awards sponsored trophy for favourite car/cars of the day, a bit of fun.

Anyway i almost feel guilty by aiming anything that could amount to minor criticism at CATC.
I hope it long continues to provide us with such a great Classic Porsche yearly meet up.
Where else are you going to see so many beautiful and important early cars in one place.
Every event is a learning curve and you can never please all the people all the time.
I feel it just needs a few tweaks.
'67 912
oldtimer
DDK forever

Post by oldtimer »

My second posting on this thread , encouraged by overcoming the demise of 'free' photobucket and finding out how to use 'flickr' as its replacement so can add pictures for Bootsy.

I still don't understand why pre-booking is a deterrent to people coming , so what if you are unable to make it on the day ? You have written off £25 ( in my case £20 as a PCGB member) .

During my Porsche track-daying career 2003- 2015 I was sometimes writing off £250+ of trackday fee when either I , or more often the car (!) , could not make it . I regard stuff like this as part of the overhead of being a Porsche enthusiast . My guess is that IF the founding fathers of Classics at the Castle do continue to organise this event , they will continue to make use of support from PCGB if that is available and therefore pre-booking will continue .

OK , my experience of the event was heavily influenced by bringing an early (1955) 356 along . My journey started from North Cheshire , I made it easy by breaking it into a 200 mile leg to London on Friday afternoon ( not the best plan) followed by a 70 mile leg from London on Sunday morning . I broke down on the M6 toll road on Friday , after sitting immobile with engine off for 45 min following an accident ahead , pushing the starter button produced nothing.
Eventually ( about 2 hours later ) the breakdown service arrived and to my amazement found and fixed the problem - loose wiring connected to regulator box , so on to London !

On Sunday en route to Hedingham I was driving cautiously along A120 when got overtaken by a blue 911 and a black 356 .....I recognised the 356 as Maxige ( Max) 's new Outlaw.....so I decided to up pace to stay with them ....not 3 figure speeds but say 4500 in top gear. Much more fun driving in convoy especially if not quite sure of the route.

highlights for me

Excellent 356 presence , although the focus was 50 years of 911S , it was good to see so many examples of the car that started the success of Porsche as a sportscar manufacturer.

The trade stands , which were the usual suspects , the Essex mafia in particular . Just talking to some of them and learning more made the trip worthwhile .

Max's Outlaw , photo by John Kemp

My Outlaw Continental, photo by Jayson Fong

356 Lineup , photo by Jayson Fong
one-two
DDK rules my life!

Post by one-two »

Great pics - that Fong lad should take more!
Robert Barrie Limited
+44 7775 518337
info@robertbarrielimited.com
www.robertbarrielimited.com
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

I not here to critique the event, I've never been! I was tempted to come this year because of the focus on the S models as I have a 67S. It clashed with an event here in Scotland which was ultimately the reason I didn't pre-book. I had to choose early on which event I was going to.

However, I have only seen one picture of a swb S on this thread.

What exactly was the focus? Was there a displayed history through the years of the S? Was there a public commentary of the S models? Was there a line up of the S models through the years? Was there a parade of the S models? Were they singled out and displayed as a group in chronological order? Where are the pictures? Will there be a write up somewhere in the future?

I would just like to know how it was done for reference on maybe attending next time. Thanks.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

So have been waiting until I had time to write my thoughts on the event- much been said already - and many useful ideas on how to make it better- so I'll confine this to things that haven't been said already - I'm in Spain on business until tomorrow.

I flew in from home , Cork/Ireland on Saturday and on to Spain Sunday night especially to attend CATC- I have been once before 2015 and enjoyed it, hence return.

As my 911 is in UK on last leg of a c. 4000 mile tour of Europe visiting Porsche events [last one Goodwood Saturday/Sunday] i was able to bring it - meaning a 2 1/2 drive to hampshire and back and quick dash to LGW get plane.

I met up with the North Essex DDK chapter in Saffron Walden and had a great spin with them to the event - arrived with a big smile on my face!

Smile vanished pretty quickly when i was directed to the bottom field [dubbed the "not worthy" field by another well known poster here!] and parked amidst a mas of modern water cooled cars , with the odd G , 964,924 and 928 sprinkled among them [Jaffa is a US ex DE car , 1978 SC , with 3.2 motor on SSIs/M&K, lots of suspension work, twin oil coolers in the foglight holes, custom interior, pretty cool IMO] - I got even more peed off when walking up past the Paul Stephens stand to see behind it even more mixed bag with even more modern water cooled cars!

Danny has it right - this is a "classic" event and post 74 cars [up to 964?] should be parked in model order [G, turbo, 924, 944, 928 etc]. as Porsche Club France do at CLM - it's only a matter of coloured stickers and corresponding parking rows-and a couple of knowledgeable marshals [PCGB must have these?]- result much better display for everyone to enjoy!

Flatness?

Well the event seemed lacking in action- the parades of 2015 certainly provided that and need to return somehow.

KS has a great idea with "roving mic" - this could be like an artist doing a tour of a gallery- maybe different folk every hour or so - great opportunity to walk round with them and learn!

Both these ideas appear to be used to good effect at "Luftgekuhlt"

More trade stands of the kind we all want and need required - Johnny and Gary good examples of that!

Autojumble/swapmeet - got to be good thing- see the success of LA lit week!

Food - good selection , but why not a bar further down the field too- would make money as well.

For many of us driving is the fun bit [see run in above - probably best part of day for me] - so maybe some organised drive on the day or day before, in which case why not a dinner/BBQ , make a weekend of it as Porsche Club Med do at Fete des Classics a similar event held annually in July - see http://cms.porsche-clubs.com/PorscheClu ... 202017.pdf

So huge kudos to those involved [and no money? The earlier idea of it being a charity funder is a great one - see Luftgekuhlt again]

Overall we must keep this going, otherwise there no event , is the venue right? Don't know - however given some tweaks and new wave thinking -I believe this could be a European "Luftgekult" - which would save me thinking of going all the way to California for a one day event!

c
Last edited by anglophone1 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

KS wrote:
Sam wrote: I'll keep going because it's 40 miles from home, but totes understand that others don't find enough new to warrant a £100 / 6-8 hour round trip.
If only... For me 680 mile 11 hour round trip, 30 gallons at £5.50 per gallon (that's being conservative) = £165, plus £83 accommodation, plus food... See you there next time! :)
i did buy you a beer though Keith!
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
KS

Post by KS »

anglophone1 wrote:
KS wrote:
i did buy you a beer though Keith!
That made the whole trip worthwhile! :lol:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel