3.0 sc engine in 911t '73

An archive of any Porsche 911 technical threads

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

BS
DDK Seasoned Poster

3.0 sc engine in 911t '73

Post by BS »

Hi

what things do I have to consider when I swap my engine for a 3.0 liter one?

thanks!
davidppp
DDK rules my life!

Post by davidppp »

Hello there.

Unless its really been botched around, the most important thing is to realise you will devalue any pre 74 car.

If you want an early look 3.0, modify an SC and you will make money.

Disclaimer My mate (Race car mechanic) has one for 10K which is a perfect car in all respects ..it was good when he bougt it and has replaced or rebuilt everything!

If you still want to do this ( why?), then the main changes relate to the fuel system..you need the correct pump from the SC, return line.

You will want to make sure you do not have an exploding rubber clutch, and a compatible generator regulator.

The wiring is simple enough

The engine is significantly heavier.

Kind regards
David
Gone in 60 seconds
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Gone in 60 seconds »

I disagree I dont see adding a later engine as a devaluer to many pre 74 cars, some cars will be restored to be super original any obviously the price would reflect it being a numbers/original car. However mine for instance has a 3.6 and I think much of my cars value is in the later mechanical set up, it would certainly be a less appealing valuable package with a 2.2 in the back..
73 911 RS(T) #0968
BS
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by BS »

thanks

the reason I would like to do this is bhp... wanted to buy pmo first but now I can buy a 3.0 engine for 1000,= (200 bhp) so the pmo's would give me around 15bhp on top of the 130 I have for three times the money...

like you say I prefer the pre 74 look!
Dyno Soar
I luv DDK!

Post by Dyno Soar »

Gilbert is undertaking a similar conversion in his early Targa. He is replacing the 2.2 with a 3.0 engine with a fresh top end rebuild. It doesn't look like its been too much hassle.

I think if your current car is a matching numbers car then you maybe adding value to it by saving the current engine and dropping in the 3.0

Make sure that your newengine is a good one and make sure you check the head studs are good.

;) good luck
Alam

77' 911 Carerra 3.0 'The Beast'
58' 356-A Coupe
55' Chevy
51' AP17
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

Dyno Soar wrote:It doesn't look like its been too much hassle.

I think if your current car is a matching numbers car then you maybe adding value to it by saving the current engine and dropping in the 3.0

Make sure that your newengine is a good one and make sure you check the head studs are good.

;) good luck
My advice is to first make sure the engine you decide to buy is a good un, 1,000 seems a bit on the cheap side IMHO, so make sure it's guranteed. Any bills for work undertaken if the seller says it's had work is also good, if you find one with guaranteed known mileage that would also be good, but HIGHLY unlikely. and as Dyno says check the head studs !

My swap is fairly straightforward as I'm using a '77 3.0 Carrera unit, I'm using early style heat exhangers and rear box. This early 3.0 has a 6 bolt flywheel which means I can use my whole 2.2 clucth setup etc. The engine also runs on a 3pin spark box so minimal electrical issues. I'm running CIS (PMO'S too much £££ at the mo) so have a few fueling jobs, being pump/accumulator/filter/later fuel tank but that's nothing major. All of the parts coming out including the 2.2 engine are being kept so that if I want to put it back as it was then I have everything, so I'm not bothered about devaluation etc, infact modified cars IF DONE PROPERLY seem to be becoming more popular, not that I'm bothered I've no intention of selling my car anyway :wink: .

If you have a 73 you'll need, as Davidppp says, to do as I am with the fuel system, Later SC's use a 6pin spark box i think so there'll be that and some other wiring changes on the 14pin connector to deal with (get the wiring diagrams for each car and swap the pins accordingly). Oil supply/cooling may be an issue, Elephant Racing in the US make adapters for the oil lines which you can get through Pelican. I'm not sure about the 2.4 clutch/flywheel setup on a late 3.0 though, try Pelican for more info on that, infact there's tonnes of info on 3.0 swaps it's well worth spending some time reading up on other people trials, from there you should be able to draw up a definitive list of what you need.

I'll shut up now, if anyone else know's more please chip in, i'm only drawing from my experience so far.

Good luck with it if you do decide to go ahead :)
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
BS
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by BS »

I bought the engine! will be delivered in september
pb911
DDK slapper chatter

Post by pb911 »

hi bs

i have done this to a 72 car. Nick Moss(early 911)and Alan UK supplied and helped install an 82 3.0SC engine and box which was shod of its air con and backdated with SSI's...i think all the points Gilbert made cover all the areas i have seen need doing and having now rebuilt the engine with a few mods it drives really well.....your engine does seem cheap but you never know !
BS
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by BS »

thanks for your answer

any tips on wheels? shall I go for deeper wheels on the rear or take wheel spacers?

btw I will have the ssi on it as well... ;-)
Dyno Soar
I luv DDK!

Post by Dyno Soar »

Hey BS,

Why not give us the whole specification of your car? Also a picture would be great.

Where in the country are you located?

What wheels are you currently running? Also what look are you going for? Stock, Rally or track inspired? There is lots of chioce out there.

:)
Alam

58' 356-A Coupe
55' Chevy
51' AP17
BS
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by BS »

I am located in the netherlands near Amsterdam...

a sporty setup would be great, I am using the car everyday.

I have the standard fuchs on it at the moment

Dyno Soar
I luv DDK!

Post by Dyno Soar »

Perhaps some cool 15 x 7 rear wheels is all you would need to add some fatter rubber out back.

So which model is your car? It looks very nice by the way.

:)
Alam

58' 356-A Coupe
55' Chevy
51' AP17
BS
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by BS »

it is a italian delivered 911t from 73. swapped the seats for the bf torino´s installed new black headliner. also a strut brace was fitted. waiting for the momo prototipo steering wheel to bel delivered as wel as the 3.0 ( i cannot wait!)

so no I am also looking to swap two nice fuchses for deeper ones...the 7 inches ones are not to wide?
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

The 7 x 15" Fuchs will fit on the rear with no problems.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”