Leaky Weber 40IDA's on 911 - help!

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

Dr. Ferdinand
DDK Seasoned Poster

Leaky Weber 40IDA's on 911 - help!

Post by Dr. Ferdinand »

After a while stored in the garage I started up my '71 911T ready for the MOT.

The motor runs a PMO Weber 40IDA 3C set up.

I sensed a strong smell of petrol and found fuel to be leaking from the accelerator pump bodies on both carbs - see below

Does anyone have an ideas what the issue could be? I initially suspected diaphragm failure but this would be a massive coincidence on both carbs.

Hoping for a quick fix without removing the carbs!!
'....air cooled, rear engine? Thats a load of b#llocks' Henry Ford 1937
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Leaky Weber 40IDA's on 911 - help!

Post by neilbardsley »

I had this on my 40 idf webers and unfortunately it was the surface of the accelerator pump. However, strange that it's happen on both sides. Makes me think that both diaphragms has dried out. I don't think the rebuild kits are too much from webcon? Do one side and see if it sorts the problem?

(PS probably best to want for someone that knows what they are talking about to comes along)
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Are you sure the leak is from the accelerator assembly and not from above, ie the gasket line of the carb top casting?
Fuel can leak somewhere and travel along various joining faces/ridges etc before dropping under gravity of another path.

Remove the air filter housings and the carb top plate then run the engine till hot and look Very carefully. Finger rubbed around the areas works best, a wet finger is immediate.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
fetuhoe
DDK rules my life!

Post by fetuhoe »

All of the brown discolouration is typical of a fuel leak and it looks as if this has been happening for some time.