MOT Quiz!

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

domo1977
DDK addict

MOT Quiz!

Post by domo1977 »

As a few of you may know I'm getting close to the point where I will be MOTing my 911 that I've been gradually restoring over the last year. I think I pretty much have it all covered, but would like to ask peoples opinion on a couple of things:

1. Does the rubber boot between the fuel filler neck and the hatch in the wing need to be 100% intact? (Mine has a small split) I cant see why it should be as the drain hose that comes off it goes down to the floor anyway, so it is not sealed!?

2. Will it fail if the gator is missing where the shift rod comes out of the tunnel at the back of the floor? (can see no mention on MOT website)

.......any other things perculiar to old 911's that I should watch out for that may get the MOT man upset?

Just a couple of silly things really, but would rather sort them if important or divert funds somewhere else if not!

cheers

Dom
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Hi Dom,
Neither of these should be a fail. The fuel pipe gaitor is just a dirt shield and the gearshift gaitor missing will just increase interior noise!

Assuming your rust situation is under control...then:

Wheel bearings are always a classic failing, check the fronts for play and nip up if necessary. Rear ARB droplink play can fail, although my MOT man was 'kind' about this one! On my car it is the pin on the trailing arm that is worn, the bushes are new...

Lights: Dodgy earths will always show themselves just as you drive onto the testing ramp... Check the function of indicators with the side lights on and also with the brakes on to check for random lighting patterns!

Handbrakes also tend to seize up with alarming regularity, it's worth dragging it slightly to derust the surfaces before you get there.

Other than that...good luck! :) :)
domo1977
DDK addict

Post by domo1977 »

Fantastic! cheers for all the notes Gary!

Now I just need some warmer/drier weather so I can get outside and finish putting it back together!

ta

Dom