Bike Rack

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

1BHP
DDK Seasoned Poster

Bike Rack

Post by 1BHP »

Hi all,
I would love to be able to carry a bike on my 914, found various conversations about roof and rear lid mounted racks as well as the aftermarket options for bikes and ski's that use the bolts on the back of the roll bar which seems the best solution. I can't find any manufactured examples so I'm considering fashioning a mount for the front forks into those holes and a method of protecting the boot lid and hold rear wheel in place...

Does anyone have any experience of this or other methods? Would love to hear from you or even pictures if possible...

Thanks.
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Bike Rack

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

This is something i'm thinking about doing on mine at some point.

Theres a thread here that has some good info:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... 112231&hl=
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
abm914
Events Organiser

Post by abm914 »

Fold up bike (in the boot).....

I'll get my coat....

Ad.
1BHP
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 1BHP »

Mr Pharmacist wrote:This is something i'm thinking about doing on mine at some point.

Theres a thread here that has some good info:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... 112231&hl=
yeh this has been my inspiration, I like the top one on the black car but imagine it's a pain to get into the boot as you'd have to undo the channel from the rack...

I'm leaning towards a QR attachment for front forks with some kind of padding and short section of channel which straps right around the boot lid and holds the rear wheel in place. Front wheel in boot.

Has anyone used those mounting bolts under the roll bar for anything and can vouch for their strength?!
1BHP
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 1BHP »

I've been meaning to update this for a while... In case it's of interest I've successfully fashioned a bike carrying system using the 3 'surfboard rack' holes under the roll bar and an old mop handle... I've got more pictures and can explain more details if anyone's interested but this pic gives the rough idea...

misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

That's well cool. Front wheel in the rear boot?