Front Hood Capping - What Glue?

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

Old-Bugga
Married to the DDK

Post by Old-Bugga »

I was actually wondering about that. I've seen some of the top rail clips held in with self tappers and more with pop rivets. Any preferences?
Old-Bugga
Married to the DDK

Post by Old-Bugga »

Woohoo! Finally.....an advantage to living in Scotland!!!! Free hood soaking service courtesy of the lousy summer weather.

This is the first soak stretch and, so far, Beachcombers tip looks to be working a treat!

Found it easier for one of us to be inside and pulling the excess through at the same time as working the hood capping into place ready for clipping.
Old-Bugga
Married to the DDK

Post by Old-Bugga »

Might as well use this mistake post for something useful! Forgot to add that I sed boiling water for the final soak. It definetely helped the hood to REALLY relax. I just made sure and kept it well away from the windscreen.
Last edited by Old-Bugga on Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Old-Bugga
Married to the DDK

Post by Old-Bugga »

The finished article and....thanks to Beachcombers tips, it's as tight as a drum. Turned out much better than I had dared hoped for.
beachcomber
DDK Fanatic

hood capping

Post by beachcomber »

Result O-B,

Now you can smirk as you see all the "other" hoods that were fitted without being pre-shrunk!!! As if you would?????? :lol:

Don't forget the same with the tonneau if you are fitting one.

MOST trimmers will supply the tonneau finished with all the "tenex"/ "lift the dots" / whatever pre-fitted. If you are using the same hood rear fittings [ you are , aren't you? ] - then - fit the tonneau at the rear and ensure that you have plenty of room on the dash to get the front fixings in.
This time you won't have a suitable anchor point, so you need to devise some fiendishly clever way to soak and then stretch the tonneau.
Beachcomber

I know how, wonder if the fertile [ or is that fertive ] minds out there can comeup with?????
DDK addict

Hood fittimg

Post by 356 »

Hi OB

That a great job you have done with your hood , where ever did you get it from ?
Old-Bugga
Married to the DDK

Post by Old-Bugga »

http://www.webamigo.co.uk/spindex.html

It's from Speedster Clinic. I used Tenax fasteners instead of the pop studs supplied and I actually mounted the frame locating bolts lower than suggested, to get the clearance between the hood and the sideframes right. As you can see, it's a much simpler setup than the Chesil one with just two metal bows instead of the catilivered frame theat Chesil use.

Beachcomber-If I fit anything it will be just a hood cover not the full tonneau.

Other picture shows the more typical roof shape to give you an idea of the shape difference.
beachcomber
DDK Fanatic

hood capping

Post by beachcomber »

Perfect job O-B

356 of Studley - if that's Studley, Warks.- then I believe that Speedster Clinic is not a million miles away from you - you could probably even pop down there and with luck, see the work in progress.
I've heard via the grapevine that Gary has a bit of a "Hole" dilemma at present, but that shouldn't prevent you from looking round his works - definitely worth the trip.
By the way O-B, the hood shown on the Black car is the "High Bow" version. Both the High Bow and aptly named "Low Bow" are period correct. Just to confuse, Sheldonhurst introduced a "Medium Bow" [ no explanation needed] hood, that gave just a little more room for "larger" persons to get in and out with the hood up. it wasn't as ugly as the High Bow, but almost as pratical.
Chesil tried to reinvent the wheel with their cantilever hood, an engineering solution looking for a problem. The only problem is that when the hood is down the pointy end of the cantilever mechanism is just about ear'ole height!!!!

Beachcomber
stevesprite
DDK above all

speedster clinic hood

Post by stevesprite »

I have just finished fitting a speedster clinic hood to my Pilgrim speedster.

I am fairly pleased with the overall look of the hood, but one slight problem is that the hood bow pivot's get in the way of the seat belt pivot's.

This means that the hood will not go right back !

Dont know whether this is just a Pilgrim problem !

Steve
Old-Bugga
Married to the DDK

Post by Old-Bugga »

Just giving this thread a bump so that Brian can find it.
No you aren't imagining things, the cow did blink!
kitchens
DDK slapper chatter

Post by kitchens »

Read it word for word ... i have to take my hat of to you guys on the things you tackle .I have found everyone on DDK in the replica section most helpful when some one wants help or advice .
Brian
stevesprite
DDK above all

Post by stevesprite »

Hey OB not seen you on here for a while ! have you still got the speedster ?

Steve
Pilgrim "California" Speedster
Old-Bugga
Married to the DDK

Post by Old-Bugga »

Still about. Dipping a toe in the water with the Speedy. Have it on Pistonheads, as I am just not using it. Have done 1200 miles in 5 years.
No you aren't imagining things, the cow did blink!
stevesprite
DDK above all

Post by stevesprite »

Ah, shame your selling, but I know what you mean. Ive done about £1000 miles per year since I finished the build (probably due to the slightly better weather down here !).

Hopefully hanging on to mine, for a while longer, keep having to convince the missus that its as good as money in the bank !!

Good luck with the sale !
Pilgrim "California" Speedster