Engine sticker details from a 1973 car, inc RS- anyone help?

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Alan @ CanfordClassics
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Engine sticker details from a 1973 car, inc RS- anyone help?

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

Hi,

I am trying to determine the sticker or stickers which go to the left of engine lid catch for a 1973 car, including the RS. Any help must be based on original stickers in situ please.

On this 73 car the sticker is the tire size, veh w/lbs "620" and tire pressure 26/29.

Any one have others?

Also any “truly” original RS sticker pics, I thought RS used the "tire pressure" sticker like this (see below), but with the higher tire pressures 29/34. These are different than the 72 and earlier stickers as these are larger and fit in the larger sticker hole next to the catch. Also with regards to the RS the tire pressure changed I think in May 1973, to what? And did it have a new sticker?

Any help is much appreciated. We are trying to make full and correct sets of proper metal stickers for all pre 73 911s.
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
hot66

Post by hot66 »

that yellow car is pre - Feb '73 ? Can't remember when the rear slam panel pressing changed ?

I'm assuming , rightly or wrongly, that the stickers on the RS would be the same as the same production date S , & possibly E & T ?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Hi James,

Thanks for the info, I also think they are the same as the S, but cannot confirm what the tire pressure was, also did RS before Feb 73 therefore have the earlier tire pressure sticker as seen on the yellow car? I guess I am really looking for original pics where we are 100 sure they are original. I have checked the RS book and also road reports on the RS but cannot find any real detail.

Thanks again

Alan
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Hi Alan
My car has I believe original stickers from late 73. The tyre pressures are 29 front and 34 rear. This changed, as you say, around May 73 when the factory changed the recommendation for pressures. Interestingly, the rear pressure was upped to 2.4 atmospheres which as I understand it is actually over 35 equivalent. My tire pressure sticker is a little faded with age but I will get a photo if you wish.
It may be worth contacting Edmond Harris. Russell has just sold his own very original low mileage untouched RS which would surely have original stickers. Would be very worthwhile trying to photo that car from top to bottom for a lot of detailed information.
The other car which comes to mind is Keith's green barn find 73E. This must have original stickers. It looks to be a post Feb 73 rear slam panel.
HTH

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Guru

Post by Guru »

Hi Alan,

I'm visiting my mechanic tomorrow who has a pristine (untouched) original RS. Will try and get an answer - maybe even pics - for you.

Best, Guru
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Thanks,

Any pics would be much appreciated

Alan
fryardds
DDK above all

Post by fryardds »

Hi Alan,

I too would be glad to help. Mine is mid-Jan. production with original decals as far as I know.

How are you on the timing decal? Do you need shots of that also?
Brian

'71 S Coupe 'Patrick'
'73 Carrera RS
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Hi Brian,

If you could send pics of all the stickers it would be a real help.

Thanks in advance

Alan
sanjay
DDK slapper chatter

Post by sanjay »

This is 1234 delivered May 1973 that Alan is restoring do we know what decals this would have had?
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Alan
It looks like you have received good information and photos on this and other forums. I don't think I could add to what you already know about the RS stickers by posting a picture of mine.

Hope you are working out all the permutations!
Good job well done. 8)

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
fryardds
DDK above all

Post by fryardds »

sanjay wrote: This is 1234 delivered May 1973 that Alan is restoring do we know what decals this would have had?
Congrats, your RS looks fantastic.:) We are working on what the correct line up of decals should be. Seems to vary somewhat based on the market the car was delivered to originally.

What decal do you have in the left rear window? Is a Weltmeister decal? According to the RS book, 911s after March 2nd, '73 had the Can Am decal placed in that window.
Brian

'71 S Coupe 'Patrick'
'73 Carrera RS
Guru

Post by Guru »

Hi Alan,

Sorry it took a while, saw my mechanic only this weekend. His understanding is as follows, for non-US cars (not sure whether UK cars would be like US or non-US):

1. For normal cars model year 1972 the pressure was 1.8 atü and 2.0 atü.
2. For normal cars model year 1973 the pressure was changed to 2.0 atü and 2.4 atü.

3. For early RST the recommendation was 2.0 and 2.0. There may have been a sticker made with 2.0 and 2.0, he has not yet seen one. If not, then the standard 72 sticker was used, i.e. 1.8 and 2.0.
4. For RSL the recommendation was 2.2 and 2.4. Here there was most likely no special sticker, so either 1.8 and 2.0 or 2.0 and 2.0 if such a sticker existed. An RSL he is working on has 1.8 and 2.0.

5. For RS produced after May 7, 1973 the recommendation was changed to 2.0 and 2.4, and the 1973 sticker with 2.0 and 2.4 was used.

On his client's late model RS (car _was_ repainted but he did the work and replaced the sticker with a NOS duplicate), the sticker is 2.0 and 2.4. Unfortunately he has no high-res photo at the moment to show, but it looks exactly like your example and is in the same place.

Hope this helps, Guru
fryardds
DDK above all

Post by fryardds »

Hi Guru,

My Carrera was built mid Jan. and has 2,2 and 2,4. Is this not an original decal then? Sure has been on the car for a long time. Thanks.

Brian

'71 S Coupe 'Patrick'
'73 Carrera RS
sanjay
DDK slapper chatter

Post by sanjay »

What decal do you have in the left rear window? Is a Weltmeister decal? According to the RS book, 911s after March 2nd, '73 had the Can Am decal placed in that window.[/quote]

Glad you spotted the deliberate mistake ! I must have put that on before I bought my anorak.

Rest assured Dr. Alan. uk will correct it, now that its safe again I will post some gratuitous pictures of RS bling.[/quote][/list]
Mike Usiskin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Usiskin »

can I just say firstly that I'm again filled with admiration for Alan's attention to detail and also the bonhomie contained within this thread. The DDK is truly a great place to 'be'

m
former owner, still hoping to be reunited with my STOLEN 1972 911T/E 2.4 . Keep looking guys

No Hydrocarbons were hurt in the sending of this mail. Thanks