Defender, Range Rover or Cayenne?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

left4dead
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Defender, Range Rover or Cayenne?

Post by left4dead »

So, for the second winter on the trot my trusty old W124 estate left me stranded and miles from where I needed to be...

I said last summer that I'll have to get me a 4x4 but.... didn't!

This time my lesson has been well and truly learnt but the question is which one?

I LOVE Defenders but am concerned that, for a possible daily driver, they might be too er, agricultural. Range Rovers (esp. the Sport model) are just too ubiquitous. Cayennes seem quite reasonably priced (I'm talking six or seven year old vehicles) compared to the opposition and certainly look more comfortable than a similarly priced Defender (but do they perform when you need them to?)

All of the above will give me better MPG than the Merc although I've no idea of servicing cost differences between Land Rover & Porsche.

Any thoughts :?:
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
left4dead

Post by left4dead »

PS. If I had the room this looks like a lot of fun for the money:

http://www.sprintonline.net/land_roverdefender%20.htm

8) 8) 8)
Steve

Sam

Post by Sam »

Defenders are certainly compromised but equally charming and the only 4x4 (other than maybe a Legacy) that would suit your country-urchin-chic image ;) :wink: :)

The best bit is you don't have to look far to buy one :

http://www.paul-stephens.com/for-sale/L ... -TDCi/2542
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
vwretrosteve
DDK forever

Post by vwretrosteve »

just invest in some decent winter tyres .

I am driving a 1971 westfalia VW bus during the bad weather, it came from Alaska and the studded winter tyres it wears have amazed me. The van has out performed a few 4x4 drivers - and thanks to the unique way our council doesnt bother to treat the roads - has really been up against it.

As a comparison my new T5 transporter was snowed in immediately :shock: - likewise every other vehicle on my road (except the Alaskan bus)

I started to get over confident and still the van /or rather the tyres would not be beaten :)

I am not suggesting we all go out and buy some extreme metal studded tyres on the off chance that a couple of snowy days happen, but winter tyres do make sense ,and a real difference when accompanied by a reserved right foot.

They also tend to be a bit cheaper than a farmers car too.
356A coupe,...
and some other nonsense

Retro VW-Porsche - Euro and USA
Import/Sales.
Vehicles, parts and Temptation.
Surrey- 01483 810756 07974579667
dragonfly
I luv DDK!

Post by dragonfly »

I drive a Defender 110 and it's great. Sometimes I wish I had something more comfortable but it's such a great workhorse. I've got the TD5 engine and it will hold a steady if noisy 75 mph. The NATO one you posted looks like a non-turbo and will be really slow.
Although i have no traction problems it doesnt slow down much better on snow/ice than anyone else. As above a set of winter tyres make a huge difference even with 2WD. When I lived in Austria I drove a BMW 325 - with winter tyres and an LSD it was a lot more fun on snow than a 4x4
Al
Member #665
'81 911SC Arrow Blue
Dragonfly 28 trimaran - no speed limits at sea
Greg
Married to the DDK

Post by Greg »

Are studded winter tyres legal in the UK?

Greg
Greg Lund
67 911S Targa,soft rear window (Brunhilde)
91 C2 Coupe (Clementine)
01 Audi A4 2.4 Quattro
2001 Subaru Legacy twin turbo wagon (just sold)
Hokkaido Japan
and an '89 SAAB Aero Turbo in Oz (for trips home)
left4dead

Post by left4dead »

Sam @ PS Autoart wrote:your country-urchin-chic image ;) :wink: :)
Urchin? URCHIN???!!!! :lol:

Thanks Sam - I had noticed your one whilst trawling through Pistonheads
Steve

Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

without winter tyres the Cayenne isn't great in the snow. however the rest of the year its fantastic.

we owned one for 4 years (a hell of a long time for us to own any car)and were very pleased with it.
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
rvzz
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rvzz »

I've had a 6 year old petrol Range Rover for a few months now . It's a two owner car that's done 100k in cosmetically good nick . Although it's come into it's own in the recent inclement weather the ongoing list of faults is to be honest getting beyond a joke now .
Windscreen wipers stop at random , especially at speed in heavy rain ,
Rear wiper packed up months ago,
Heated front screen only works on passenger side,
Coolant level light on/off like a strobe light ( although the actual level is fine),
Door and tailgate rubber seals let water in at an alarming rate,
Xeon headlights have a mind of their own , usually about a 10% chance of both working at the same time despite changing bulbs and complete units,
Adjustable steering wheel doesn't adjust but occasionally it will take on a mind of it's own and lower itself trapping my knees under the column . For extra comedy value this usually happens at speed ,
And finally the latest is an intermitant rumble from the transmission that is is getting steadily worse .

Other than that it's great ......... :roll:
Russ...

'73E 3.0

Clean living under difficult circumstances
Bertroex
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Bertroex »

Steve,

I'm sure you remember that Mercedes had a 4matic w124? They came in 300TE, 280TE and 320TE iirc. BMW offered also their touring in x drive, ie 330XD, 330XI, 525xd ?

By the way, winter tyres and snow chains will get your W124 out of trouble, as last night I wacked the snow chains again on the little 924S as it snowed a good 7 cms here and I just had more traction at 1AM on fluffy snow + hardrock ice from the melted snow underneath. Worked a treat!

And finally, what about a G wagen?

Regards,

Bert
-1968 912 SWB Targa LHD
-1976 911 Carrera 3.o Targa RHD
-1983 944 190bhp (augment automotive enhanced) RHD
-1979 280SLC manual LHD, 1989 500SL, 1997 SL500, 1989 Jag XJ-s 3.6, old BMW’s
-Ex 1976 911 2.7 Targa, 1979 911 SC, 1983 930,1993 964 C4 Jubi etc
Sam

Post by Sam »

left4dead wrote:Urchin? URCHIN???!!!! :lol:
:lol: :wink:

Ours comes with Porsche pedigree - owned by not-quite-front-running 924 and Boxster racer Gerry Taylor... :(
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

Forget 4x4s, especially Land Rovers, they are generally dreadful to drive and so unreliable. Just put winter tyres on a decent estate car. I am driving a 911 3.2 through all the bad weather and it really is fantastic on winter tyres without chains. In comparison my Disco II has no better traction, is harder to stop and if it gets out of hand its 2 1/2 tonnes is a real handful!
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

I agree with Nick, I had a Audi Quattro as a daily drive for seven years and whilst it could get going in the snow it was no better at stopping or going around corners than anything else! (It would oversteer under power in the snow, so not all bad!)

It's all down to the tyres :)
sjm
DDK rules my life!

Post by sjm »

nick-moss wrote:Forget 4x4s, especially Land Rovers, they are generally dreadful to drive and so unreliable. Just put winter tyres on a decent estate car. I am driving a 911 3.2 through all the bad weather and it really is fantastic on winter tyres without chains. In comparison my Disco II has no better traction, is harder to stop and if it gets out of hand its 2 1/2 tonnes is a real handful!
I politely disagree with Nick's usually wise words :wink:

My business partner and I each bought 12 month old RR Vogue's about 5 yrs ago - neither ever had any problems or left us stranded. Couple of minor electrical niggles, all sorted in first 3 months of ownership. I drove mine over France/ Switzerland twice as well as usual breaks around UK and was my daily commute. Never missed a beat. I only part ex'd mine as we wanted a 7 seater so I got a Discovery 3, which we still have now. My partner still has his RR as he loves it so much!

The Disco3 is brilliant. Again, trips to Europe and daily commute - great car. I actually prefer it to the RR as being best compromise of workhorse/ family car.

I've been so impressed with Land Rover cars (of recent years) that 2 yrs ago I bought a new Defender 90XS (the new Ford-engined/ 6 speed one). It's utterly utterly superb! It's my daily drive, and yes it's a bit bouncy, but they are so much fun I don't care. I took mine to Yorkshire this year for off-roading wk end and it was unstoppable. This last week I've alternated btween the Disco3 and Defender so I can go round and pick staff up and bring them in to work (bet they love me!), as well as getting a couple of stuck cars out of the snow with a gentle slow-speed shove! :lol:

Moved a new 3-series UP one of the hills in Chislehurst today by gently pushing him up in front of me until he found traction - guy couldn't thank me enough and I had a right laugh!

Steve - get a Land Rover mate, they get under your skin (in a good way!) I hope to keep my Defender for good.

Incidentally, I have done a couple of off road days in Cayenne's courtesy of Porsche (one here and one at Leipzig). They are very capable, and I was going to buy one a few years back, right up to the point I test drove the Range Rover and then there was no going back... :wink:

Final recommendation? I'd say get a Discovery3 that has full service. You avoid looking like a Chislehurst gangsta, it'll take you ANYWHERE and will give you the 'workhorse' feeling that your MB has given yo over the years. I love them! :)
Simon Moore
1958 356A
1978 Aston Martin V8
1988 Jaguar XJS 3.6 manual
1959 Lambretta Li125
sjm
DDK rules my life!

Post by sjm »

I should also say it's worth getting a day of off road training from a Land Rover instructor. I've had 2 with them now and learnt a lot.

8)
Simon Moore
1958 356A
1978 Aston Martin V8
1988 Jaguar XJS 3.6 manual
1959 Lambretta Li125