2.4E Engine rebuild. The Good, bad and expensive news

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

TheEasyLife
I luv DDK!

2.4E Engine rebuild. The Good, bad and expensive news

Post by TheEasyLife »

Good news, bad news and expensive news

1: The Good news: The future Mrs Easylife is expecting our first child in April.

2: The Bad news: I've stripped down the top end of my engine last weekend to find out why compression is down on 2 cylinders. I.e, How much damage did the bolt we found in the inlet manifold do when we converted it to EFI?. We expected to find that a top end overhaul was required, but the reality was far worse than this.

3: The expensive news: see first 2 points!!

So onto the pics:

The engine in its current state:

Whats left:

Valve to Piston contact? Check:

Missing metal on an inlet? That will buff out #1:

Valve seat corrosion? That will buff out #2:

Valve seat corrosion? That will buff out #3:

Valve seat corrosion and dents in head? That will buff out #4:

Lots of scraped metal in cylinders? Check:

Corroded valve? Check 1:

Corroded valves? Check 2:

Corroded Heat exchangers? Check:

I'm devastated as it was running so well and pulling the best it ever has but deep down I knew that something wasn't right after we found the bolt in the inlet manifold when we did the EFI conversion. Surprisingly that appears to have done little damage other than the valve to piston contact visible on that piston but I wasn't aware an engine could run so well and be so knackered at the same time. The heads are the worst my garage has ever seen.

A cunning plan is being formulated to get the car back on the road as soon as possible for the least expenditure as I'm being told I need to buy baby stuff now and not to spend money on engines :roll: . As you can imagine the budget I had for the top end rebuild is woefully inadeguate for the bits I now need to replace. I'll be listing some of my spare bits in the For Sale section over the next few days to help fund this rebuild.

Cheers

James
1979 SC Targa - Long term project - in storage - purchased 10/16 - last looked at it in 08/18..
Fascinated with 911 seats and induction systems!

Previously
1973 911T in Gulf Blue (with 2.4E ITB's, EFI and EDIS) - from 07 till 16. Sorely missed.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

congrats on the baby 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

James

Congratulations on your good news. 8)

More bad news

Come April you are going to have to change your name on DDK because the easy life will be no more :lol:

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

James

Also congratulations on the baby and you thought Porsche's were expensive!

As for a knacker engine running well you should have seen mine when we took it apart (every piston holed and top rings missing) but it was running (if a little/lot smokey)!

Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
butzsi
DDK rules my life!

Post by butzsi »

Hi James,

Congratulations on the news of the baby - enjoy your sleep while you still can!

The missing metal is actually on an exhaust port and I think was damage caused by something other than a bolt.

The scraped metal parts are fragments from the head gasket or CE ring - the gasket had blown and the combustion gasses had fragmented it, the bits fell into the cylinder when the heads were removed.

I may have some used valves etc ,let me know what you need.

Chris
Porsche - Diesel, the next most affordable Classic
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Congratulations and commiserations in equal order!

Now is not the time to plan an engine rebuild :shock:

I bought my 911 when my first was 6 months old and stripped it to a shell when the second was -2 months :) It can be done, it just takes careful planning 8)

Other than the exhaust port damage I would imagine you can recover those heads. The seats can be recut, and the little dents? Well, I would take the worst of the sharp edges off and ignore :wink:

My old Golf ingested a nut from the air filter housing the evening before a hillclimb event, so a rapid head job ( :shock: ) picked the worst of the bits out of the piston and head, cleaned it up, back together and as you were...

Good luck getting it back together and having No.1 with your mortgage still intact! :)
butzsi
DDK rules my life!

Post by butzsi »

Other than the exhaust port damage I would imagine you can recover those heads
It can be repaired by welding easily - do not worry.

Chris
Porsche - Diesel, the next most affordable Classic
haasad
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by haasad »

Nothing a little creative thinking wont fix cheaper than you imagine ( thats only the baby :? , seriously congatulations )

New seats if they are beyond re cut . don,t sweat the dents, weld up and reshape the port , dont write off those pistons do some measuring :wink:

Cylinders may go again too measure first .

Set of valves are pricey but again only replace whats worn or damaged beyond use and don;t be shy of looking for used parts,

Guides aren't too much hassle to remove and fit new yourself ( just don't use the oven to heat up the heads if the sunday lunch is being cooked :)

Heat exchangers are nearly a service item if they're steel but they don't have to be pretty to work if the exhaust tubing is ok treat them like a body repair??

Don't loose heart I've been at it 8 years it will be fine in the end.

andy
ddk member# 1527
Austin Healey 100/6, 1957 Fast Road ( now sold)
75 2.7 S backdated to "r" and very light (now sold).
Adria Camper
Buddy McCrae kneeboard.
Friar Tuck kneeboard.
Lots of Bicycles.
DeRRis
DDK slapper chatter

Post by DeRRis »

Congrats on the bun in the oven :wink:

The metal scrappings look to me like the product you get when you cut sheet metal with one of these. Don't know what the english word is though :P A knibler?

Last edited by DeRRis on Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis

1972 Porsche 911 T/E
1986 Porsche 911 Carrera
1976 Lancia Beta Monte Carlo
1973 Benelli 650 Tornado S2
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

congratulations on the good news
remember the 911 may be less important than the family!
Peter
I luv DDK!

Post by Peter »

Congratulations on the good news.

Shame about the engine, but good luck with getting a resolution.
Peter
'72 911T
'52 80” Series 1
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

DeRRis wrote: A knibler?

Close - a nibbler, for cutting sheet metals
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
Mike Usiskin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Usiskin »

congrats on the baby mate, save your pennies, get some sleep, Bet you wish you'd never open that engine up huh!!

m
former owner, still hoping to be reunited with my STOLEN 1972 911T/E 2.4 . Keep looking guys

No Hydrocarbons were hurt in the sending of this mail. Thanks

TheEasyLife
I luv DDK!

Post by TheEasyLife »

Thanks guys. The cunning plan is now taking shape and hopefully being put into action this week with a view to me being back on the road before xmas. I need my car to be usable or the missus will tell me, not for the first time, to sell it. She just doesn't 'get' old cars and me spending a fortune on it at the moment isn't helping.

The plan is to replace the current tired B&P's and heads with used parts of a known quantity that I have rapidly acquired from various sources. The B&P's are 2.4S Mahles and will give me half a point compression increase over the old 2.4E ones. At some point in the future if I can find some used 2.4S cams at a sensible price I'll snap these up so that I have an almost 2.4S spec engine on EFI. Anyone got any 2.4S cams gathering dust that they want to sell at a sensible price on a deferred payment scheme? :lol:

Sadly I don't have the time, patience, space or skill to rebuild it myself so am going down the chequebook restoration road. The engine is being built by my local porsche independent garage who has a good reputation for engine rebuilds and I shall be looking over his shoulder learning things when not being the teaboy/gofer. I have also realised that the engine number on my E is a very low production number, and would probably have been on one of the first 30 1972 E's built based on the figures on the 911E registry.

More details and maybe some build pics later in the week.

Cheers

James
1979 SC Targa - Long term project - in storage - purchased 10/16 - last looked at it in 08/18..
Fascinated with 911 seats and induction systems!

Previously
1973 911T in Gulf Blue (with 2.4E ITB's, EFI and EDIS) - from 07 till 16. Sorely missed.
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

That's Tim rebuild out the window then ;)

Good luck with the build, glad you are getting it sorted.