California - Porsche things to do

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

markh
DDK slapper chatter

California - Porsche things to do

Post by markh »

I've been lucky enough to convince my wife-to-be that we should roadtrip through California for three weeks as a honeymoon. So we're starting in San Francisco and finishing in Las Vegas three weeks later.

We're there for most of August and am seeking the collective knowledge of DDK to give me ideas on what Porsche-related things I might be able to squeeze in!

I've already managed to "coincide" Pebble Beach and all the events around that with when we're in Monterey but I'm also looking for places with a bit more Porsche going on. Places to see cars, buy parts, museums etc.
neil76
DDK Fanatic

Post by neil76 »

www.easypor.com/
www.westcoastautosport.com
www.europeancollectibles.com

are all favourits of mine.

Also, www.pristineporsche.com, www.carplanet.com and if you are out that way www.dodiauto.com (although he has far less stock that when I was last there 4 years ago if his website is up to date).

Loads of VW shops in orange county also.

www.912bbs.org have quite active forums and 'local' meets which would be neat to drop in on.

The Auto museum in LA is worth a visit.

Don't rule out spending a lot of time north of San Fran, we did 2 weeks there a couple of years ago and the scenery, people and environment were amazing and a very nice alternative to southern california. I also found San Diego OK - but wouldn't make a deliberate trip again. If you do go down that way then drop by on Randy at www.oldbug.com - amazing vehicles for sale and personal collection of cars (VW)

I also prefer Sequoia to Yosemite.

Oh, renting with national (book via holiday autos) don't charge extra for one ways and you get to choose your car from the lot when you get there (within your category). We last had a Volvo C70 coupe/cabrio which was excellent. if you 'need' a mustang then use hertz.
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

rented a Mustang in Nashville last year and to say "it sucks" would be giving it undue credit

Awful, awful car. This from someone who drives a Smart car.... :)
964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 964RS »

Just make sure she takes a sick bag, get off the highway and drive alllll dayyyyy. Some of the best driving roads in the world between San fran and LA in my opinion!!!
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

If you go to LA, though its not really Porsche related, the Peterson Museum is very good, http://www.petersen.org/

Got a lot of the Hot Wheels, Big Daddy Roth Hotrods and stuff.
pb911
DDK slapper chatter

Post by pb911 »

I agree with Jason wholeheartedly re the roads but avoid the Mustang if you can !

Try a night here as a nod towards the honeymoon - great fun and you may earn extra Pebble Beach credit points

Its like a hotel built and run by the B 52's !

http://www.madonnainn.com

Paul
neil76
DDK Fanatic

Post by neil76 »

Avoid a Sebring and PT Cruiser too.

The Volvo we have was a tiptronic with the 5 cylinder 2.5 turbo (Focus ST motor) and very nice for covering the miles.

I would wholehartedly recommend a night stop in Cambria on the coast (you might even catch a few R Gruppers at the Fog Catcher Inn ;) ) there is a great restaurant on that litttle run of motels too.

The Monteray Aquarium is well worth a visit, just don't pay for parking, a coupe of blocks south you can freely park on the street at the side of the ocean and see the seals that are hiding from the 'tourists' at the aquarium :)

Coming south of San Fran as an alternative to the coast (its a bit dull in this area) try going over the Skyline Blvd towards Santa Cruz, for an often missed part of the world (forests, great acsents and views and driving roads).

I want to go back now :D
Bladesman
DDK addict

Post by Bladesman »

Just come back from 3 weeks in CA - I agree with Neil and the bit between SF and Santa Cruz is rather dull. The drive through the forests of Skyline Boulevard is much nicer. If in Santa Cruz pay a visit to the Mystery Spot. Nothing to do with Porsches but worth $5 entrance fee
sng45
DDK rules my life!

Post by sng45 »

We did this trip the opposite way a few years ago i.e LA to SF - some fantastic roads - we stayed in SOLVANG a town established by Danes some years ago and is a replica of a Danish town - also CAMBRIA on the coast which is where the R-Gruppe treffen is often held.Not sure that the scene of James Deans crash is worth a visit, we travelled for a couple of hours to get there to see only a fairly insignificant statue/sculpture.
We visited the Madonna Inn at San Luis Obispo that someone else has mentioned, we had intended to stay there but after a viewing made do with a short coffee stop instead !
We stayed at the Beverley Wilshire hotel in Beverley Hills (where "Pretty Woman" was filmed) book a night there and you'll definately score some points!
Unfortunately we never got to this http://lasvegas.carsandcoffee.info/ but it certainly looks good.

Hope you have a fantastic time.
CarreraRS
DDK addict

Post by CarreraRS »

I did this trip in 96 and although the roads might have been good all I experienced was thick fog and endless camper vans.
Regards
Paul

1950 356 Cab
1957 356 Carrera Coupe
1958 356 Coupe 1600S RHD
1961 356 Roadster
1973 911 RS Carrera RHD
1979 930 Turbo RHD
2015 GT3 (Sold)
1989 962
1989 962
1989 962
corsepervita
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by corsepervita »

CarreraRS wrote:I did this trip in 96 and although the roads might have been good all I experienced was thick fg and endless camper vans.
Sounds like you need to take a trip up to oregon and enjoy some of the mountain roads. That'll give your Porsche a grin.
markh
DDK slapper chatter

Post by markh »

Thanks all for the excellent suggestions - our plans have now been changed a bit to include some of them and also the 15th August Pomona swapmeet! How convenient...
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: California - Porsche things to do

Post by Tosh »

I'm just back from a long morning at the Petersen. The new building is stunning and I also managed to get a tour of The Vault... Stuff they don't normally exhibit...and they also won't let you photograph...

Petersen liked rare, so as well as "Hollywood" cars, stock, show and Barris types, there's a few rare muscle cars, numerous hot rods, a gold delorean, various Ferrari (Henry Ford jrs Ferrari was looked over by Ford engineers and various of the styling cues can be found in the early Thunderbird parked next to it), saddam's MB600 and so on. Very cool to visit. Tucker's Tucker Torpedo... George Vs Daimler (pre WW1), Imelda Marcos' 560SEC, a few very early stock cars (mostly with scrubbed RH tyres), EB110, XJ220, Elvis' Pantera and so on

Porsche content... A '64 901, and a '64 911 next to each other, and a 55 "Continental". Also a Model A based hot rod with a 928 v8 in it. There's also a "back lot" where there is no access, but I spotted an E500, a couple more 911s, another Delorean

When I am home I shall post a few pics from "upstairs" but if you're in LA, I can highly recommend a few hours there. It was my reward for back to back days at Universal and Disneyland...
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Post by Ian Comerford »

When I was visiting LA I sent Magnus Walker a speculative email asking if I could visit his place. Got a reply the same day saying 'sure, why not'. Great visit, nice guy and some lovely cars. Recommended.

Ian
914-6
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914-6 »

when we were over for Rennsport last year we got to visit Bruce Canepa , well worth a visit, also went to EASY where they have a great array of porsche parts, and are also great guys.
Try visiting Helena, fantastic little town and a guy there, on the high street has radial engines, one in a beetle--awesome.
but most of all..ENJOY it.
www.canepacollection.com/
www.easypor.com/

Cheers
Ian
formula vee-
'60 356b rhd CONVERTED TO "A"
'67 912 rhd SOLD
'69 914 Crayford RHD
'71 914 Crayford RHD
'69 911s lhd
'71 914/6 race car