356 Replica speedster

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

kitchens
DDK slapper chatter

356 Replica speedster

Post by kitchens »

I have been thinking of buying a 356 replica for some time now .i was at a show today and saw one and was very impressed especially as the hood was a low bow style instead of the usual pram style that is on a Chesil and others ,the one I saw is no longer available and was wondering if some one could give me an idea as to what is the best make to go for .i heard a company in USA ship them over here and are sold buy a company down south ,any info would be grateful.
Brian
left4dead
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by left4dead »

This one comes recommended by those who know:

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29676

Quite tempted myself! :)
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
pmjt
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by pmjt »

In my opinion, the finest, most accurate of the reps were the Apal bodies - however Apal went bust in the 90s but the moulds were sold to the US and I believe are the basis for the Intermeccanica or Vintage Speedsters cars.

But key to a replica is the fit and finish of the rest of the car - and most use replica / cheap badging / trim etc. Some reps are sold as complete cars, some as kit cars for home build / finish.

As recommended by Steve, the Apal currently for sale on DDK has been finished by the home builder to a very high standard with mostly original Porsche trim and looks very original. It's been owned by three DDK'ers - some of them twice :wink: :lol:

And at £12k it's about a third of what some companies ask for their dodgy finished, inaccurate versions :roll:

P
--
DDK Member #890
DDK addict

Speedsters

Post by 356 »

In my opinon its the speesterclinic one

Allso apal did go bankrupt , The moulds did not go to usa they are in germany in a the back of a garage workshop

:)
kitchens
DDK slapper chatter

Post by kitchens »

I have contacted Ants
I believe there is a company called McGurks who franchise the Vintage model from USA.Any other info would be great ,as always these cars are way down south so before I make the journey it has to be the right one.
Thanks for info guys
Brian
pmjt

Re: Speedsters

Post by pmjt »

356 wrote:Allso apal did go bankrupt , The moulds did not go to usa they are in germany in a the back of a garage workshop

I heard that of the *two* sets of moulds Apal had, BOTH went to Germany (cannot remember his name in germany for the life of me! Has a workshop near Essen and bought a Cup Car off me in 2006?) - where the shells were produced for the American company (whichever it was :oops:) before they fell out and the shells were made in the US from the other set of moulds.... :roll:

Of course, I could be completely wrong :lol:
--
DDK Member #890
kitchens
DDK slapper chatter

Post by kitchens »

Any views on Martin Walker kits
pmjt

Post by pmjt »

kitchens wrote:Any views on Martin Walker kits
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Barry from M&W on here? I've never seen one personally so can't comment, though their 904GTS replica is apparently very 8-)
--
DDK Member #890
sprintstar67
DDK above all

Post by sprintstar67 »

Just my two penneth, but if you want a car that looks "correct" don't go down the Apal or Chesil route.
A lot of these European Speedster reps originated from the same set of moulds, and as a consequence have the same flaws, the most obvious being the headlights are too high, when compared to a real car.
The best rep out there is the Intermeccanica, but unfortunately the European agent has now stopped trading with them due to the exchange rate, however I have heard tales that a scots guy is taking it over, and have a source that could put you in touch with him
Picture of my genuine Speedster to compare and contrast......I miss it so much. 83348, where are you now?

And the Chesil, I have just bought.
'62 Bug Karmann Cabrio (the GCC car)
'67 Bug
'99 Mexican Bug
'67 Split Crew Cab
'76 MGB Roadster
'90 MX5
'79 911 SC Targa
'72 Fiat 124 Spider
'73 Eriba Familia
'03 Chesil Speedster
'03 BMW 330D Touring
'97 Disco
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

left4dead wrote:This one comes recommended by those who know:

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29676

Quite tempted myself! :)
heres a picture of the engine as of just before i sold it to Ants

theres a bit more info (and photos) on the car in this thead http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... light=apal
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
kitchens
DDK slapper chatter

Post by kitchens »

I believe it has now been sold . well at least a deposit taken so time to move on ,if anyone knows of a good one pass the info on .I have the cash waiting so has to be a bargain :lol:
DDK addict

Speedsters

Post by 356 »

How much cash have you waiting ?
:)
vroomvroom
DDK Fanatic

Post by vroomvroom »

kitchens wrote:if anyone knows of a good one pass the info on .I have the cash waiting so has to be a bargain :lol:
if you haven't already, try looking here

http://www.speedsters.com/forsale.htm
chief
Married to the DDK

Post by chief »

[img] As of Monday 7th this car is up for sale. Only 940 miles from the build.
Lots of nice original bits including umbrella hand brake, correct paint and trim......[/img]
h'Project Blue Book' - 'The Red Baron' - Amber Alert!
chief
Married to the DDK

Post by chief »

h'Project Blue Book' - 'The Red Baron' - Amber Alert!