Dampers?

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

chief
Married to the DDK

Dampers?

Post by chief »

Hi Guy's
I have lowered my Chesil again and have a fitted shock length of 11" rear and 13.5" front. I am struggling to find anyone to supply shortened shocks.
Can anyone advise please? I would like to soften the front and firm up the rear. I was thinking maybe oil filled to supple up the ride as these cars are so light. Can anyone help here????
h'Project Blue Book' - 'The Red Baron' - Amber Alert!
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

VW Heritage should be able to supply them?

I used to use Monros shocks from a Mini on my old lowered Beetles - a nice ride!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
shambly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by shambly »

You'll want to measure the distance between shock mounts with the car standing to ensure you buy replacements with sufficient travel in both bump and droop.

Table here:-

http://www.vwheritage.com/ssp/Shock-Abs ... lateID=ssp

I've a set of front spax shocks for a lowered beetle sat in my garage waiting to go on ebay... used condition but only a few thousand miles on them from my Chesil. I swapped back to standard length ones (spax again) as my ride height was too high for them (and then I raised it further to stop my 165R15 tyres rubbing on lock). PM me if interested.
chief
Married to the DDK

Post by chief »

Thanks fella's I was kind of hoping for a few recommendations as it seems a bit of a minefield out there. I was thinking oil filled to muddy the ride a little as having such a short wheelbase it seems a little skittish......any views would be appreciated......thanks
h'Project Blue Book' - 'The Red Baron' - Amber Alert!
Paul Knight
DDK Fanatic

Post by Paul Knight »

gaz dampers in basildon, essex can make custom dampers (length, stroke, damping, bounce, rebound - all of that business!) to your specs. http://www.gaz-shocks.com/
they're a helpful bunch of guys who really know they're stuff (and supply several shops with pre-spec'd units for vw and porsche apps, too ;) )
oliver365
DDK slapper chatter

Post by oliver365 »

Have u tryed GSF German & swedish ?
Nigel Cousins
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Nigel Cousins »

Have a look at original Mini rear shocks they are about £10 each you have to drill out the bottom bush slightly and they go straight on. This is what the cal look boys used back in the day and work great on a lowered speedster because the weight is very similar to the rear of a old mini. You can make up spacers if you need longer travel. They transformed my car when I fitted them, I used to run Spax adjustables and even on the soft setting were far too harsh. N