Milestone!

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

Fitz
DDK above all

Milestone!

Post by Fitz »

Hi All,

I've just been up to my garage to check on my 912, which failed to start by the way. It turns over fine but just doesn't want to fire up...Any ideas, anyone? I'm not very knowledgable so no long words, please. :)

Anyway, I noticed that the mileage is 99972 so my next trip out will take me over the hundred thousand mile mark. Is there any official way of celebrating this milestone or is it simply the point at which I should start saving up for an engine rebuild? :wink:
Anthony.

'66 RHD 912
old_skool
DDK above all

Post by old_skool »

if you not up to doing it and have a breakdown card then call them out for a home start. if you having a go, first off you need to check the dizzy cap, rotor, coil and leads. make sure theres no broken wires or the cap damaged. then test for a spark from the coil to the dizzy.

found this sticker on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nice-Sticker-for- ... 7C294%3A50
Ian Gunney
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Ian Gunney »

has the car been stood for any length of time? if it has, it may be that the fuel has drained back.

when you are cranking the car over, do you keep the throttle depressed?

normally after about a week or so, mine takes about 20 seconds to coax back into life (not that I mind too much as at least the oil pressure has built up by then!)

if it drove in OK, shouldn't be anything too serious (I hope!)

Ian
1966 912 Karmann Coupe - polo red.
1972 914/6 GT replica - 2.7 - signal orange.
1961 Standard 217 Tractor.
2003 Boxster S.
1967 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT Veloce.

http://www.redcastleclassics.com
Evil J Guano
DDK forever

Post by Evil J Guano »

I know it's in foreign land measurements but they do look cool.

Gavin Joule
chickybok
DDK Fanatic

Post by chickybok »

I brought a metal version of that badge - when the new museum opened - they re issued the badge. wasn't cheap.

Its on my desk (not my car!)
Fitz
DDK above all

Post by Fitz »

Thanks for all the advice...breakdown cover, I hadn't even thought of that! :oops:

I only drove the car on saturday so I'm sure it can't be anything too dramatic.

I have checked the distributer, leads, connections etc and all looks fine so I guess I'll give Mr. RAC a call.
Anthony.

'66 RHD 912
Fitz
DDK above all

Post by Fitz »

Quick Update.

I had the world's most talkative RAC man come to see my car. He owns a cobra replica and two 2CVs and I think i got the whole of his life story. His inspection took about 10 minutes and we were then chatting for about an hour and a half!

Anyway, the car has a really good spark and, as he said, there was unlikely to be a problem that had suddenly affected both sets of carbs so he sprayed a few shots of Easy Start into the air intakes while I turned the engine over and it fired up fine.

His opinion was that the actuating plunger in the fuel pump tends to wear out, getting shorter and shorter. This means that the fuel pump does not pull enough fuel through to the carbs to start the car but once it's running it is ok.

I'm sure that you all probably already knew about this but it was all news to me! So I guess I'll have to take the fuel pump apart and replace assorted bits...Does anyone know if there is there a fuel pump rebuild "kit"?
Anthony.

'66 RHD 912
Evil J Guano
DDK forever

Post by Evil J Guano »

Yes you can get the kit from Roger Bray and the like.

Pretty simple job that is outlined in the manual. Did mine recently took about 30 mins.

Just need to work very cleanly and you should be fine. Bit fiddly to get the rod out but apart from that easy.

I can scan the page if you need...
Gavin Joule
Fitz
DDK above all

Post by Fitz »

Cool, sounds like it might be something i'll have a go at.

If you could scan the page and post it I'm sure it will be a great help. Thanks, Gavin.
Anthony.

'66 RHD 912