The absolute misery of penalty points vent

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

hot66

Post by hot66 »

Bladesman wrote: If some little scrote had broken into your house and stolen your telly but nothing else you would still expect him to be prosecuted* .

Would you be pleased if the police decided not to pursue the crime on the basis that the scrote had argued that he had not done a proper crime as he did not mean to steal a telly and could have stolen a lot more?
ironic really .... as far as I can gather the police never do follow up / catch small break-ins , vandalism to property etc. See the story over on PCGB forum of a poor chap who's had his 911 stamped all over, nice dents in the roof - Police, sorry nothing we can do :roll:

No, they take the easy route & get the motorist.

My Mum was caught for the 1st time last week ........... clean licence & no accidents in over 40 years of driving & she is a good driver too. £60 fine + taking the 'education course' instead of points.

The limits might be the law ..... but IMHO you need to have a bit of flexibility. If everyone spends their life driving around with one eye on the speedo their overall attention to the road is reduced .... all it achieves is making the roads slightly more dangerous.

Yes I agree someone blatting through a 30 zone @ 40mph + should be got, but maybe not the driver who is just over teh limit. Every road is different & every road has an appropriate speed. I'm a great fan of 20 mph limits in the right place , but also there are many roads where the limit is too low or changes too often and these seem to be the places where most income is made.

As a final point, I live in one of the only counties without fixed speed cameras & with a view of educating rather than penalising the motorist ..... North Yorkshire has had the greatest reduction in road deaths in recent years with this policy, as have 2 neirboring forces who have a similar policy. Unfortunatly the govt is pressuring them to get fixed camera.
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Del
DDK forever

Post by Del »

:(

that's not good. i got done at 34 in a 30! and this was before the days when you could swap it for one of those courses that tells you to be a better driver. The irony was that i was in a rush to pick up my friend who was getting married and i was his driver for the day, and when i got there, no one was ready! I can laugh about it now that they have been wiped but it wasn't funny at the time.
paulyb
DDK addict

Post by paulyb »

I got done on a completely deserted stretch of dual carriageway on the A303 recently. The problem with these vans is that they don't take into consideration conditions / traffic levels / visibility...etc
I got 3 points for 85mph on an empty, dry, well surfaced dual carriageway with excellent visibility bar the scamera van cunningly hidden behind a huge bush on the verge. Saw it from some distance away and braked hard, but evidently too late :roll:
This weekend just gone I passed a scamera van in a verge just around a corner on the top of the A3. I was fractionally into the 3points territory so now have an anxious couple of weeks. Very annoying having had a clean licence and accident free for the 20 years that Ive been driving :evil:
74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

Pah
Just passed a van on the way into work this morning -
set up on a bridge on the M62 on the way into liverpool -
I was at about 80-85 in the third lane -

van was marked CCTV unit - so god knows what that means -

I say I was doing 80-85 - so was everyone in all lanes so no reason to feel like i was speeding..

see what happens..
i blame this post
on the holier than though front -
its BOLLOCKS - its all relative - the law is an ass.
40 in a 30 zone is far worse than 80-90 on a motorway.
In fact 50 on a motorway is far more dangerous than 80..

mph = £££ in
catching criminals = £££ out
Police = tax

crime doesnt pay, we do.
i'm ranting.
Bladesman
DDK addict

Post by Bladesman »

Controversial again

Motorist - I was only doing 6 mph over the limit I wasn't going that fast what does it matter?

Scrote - I only used my fists to beat this bloke up at least I didn't stab him what does it matter?

And the difference is??
hot66

Post by hot66 »

the difference is, most knife crime goes undetected / unsolved ... maybe they should concentrate their efforts on stopping street violence
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

hot66 wrote:the difference is, most knife crime goes undetected / unsolved ... maybe they should concentrate their efforts on stopping street violence
Hear hear James ! The fact of the matter is the police use motorists as an easy revenue stream - its easy to catch and easy to get money out of them. Policing street crime or theft isn't as easy and they wouldn't make money out of it so they don't go to great lengths to try and detect such crime.

Of course we shouldn't speed, but we all do, I just hate the indiscriminent way a machine is used to catch people, regardless of conditions....
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
DIRKBROWNFINGER
DDK forever

Post by DIRKBROWNFINGER »

As far as I am aware, police cant just park up with a camera van and start nicking people - they have to apply for permission from the council first. The locations of the cameras are all published in your local paper for the following week, so there's no excuse for getting knicked in your own area. Not sure about the hand helds though? It doesnt help you at all if you are out of your own area.!

The speed limiter on me Merc must have saved me many a time by now - really helpful if you are somewhere you dont know all of the cameras.

Chatting to a traffic cop on hove seafront last week, and the dreaded yellow average speed camera is the way forward for us all. They are the most effective way of reducing average speeds(no really!) without being a cash cow for Hash-Gordon. If you speed through them then you deserve to get done, the dreaded Gatso is just a taxation station (for de nation.)
DIRK BROWNFINGER.
1970 911 S TARGA LHD.
Del
DDK forever

Post by Del »

Bladesman wrote:Controversial again

Motorist - I was only doing 6 mph over the limit I wasn't going that fast what does it matter?

Scrote - I only used my fists to beat this bloke up at least I didn't stab him what does it matter?

And the difference is??
Im rubbish at explaining some things that are in my head on public forums, but to me, there really IS a big difference between the two examples you have used there. I think the two are completely different.
Bladesman
DDK addict

Post by Bladesman »

Tell that to the parents of the child who was killed by a speeding motorist only doing 34 in a 30
58A - 71E
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by 58A - 71E »

Bladesman wrote:Tell that to the parents of the child who was killed by a speeding motorist
and this is relevant to Vicki's first post of doing 70 in a 60 in what way? :roll:
Last edited by 58A - 71E on Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James

'58 356A 1600n
'71 911E 2,2

Bladesman
DDK addict

Post by Bladesman »

As to why breaking the law is breaking the law
paulyb
DDK addict

Post by paulyb »

Breaking the law is breaking the law, but are you really comparing a minor speeding indiscression, in the OPs case on a wide open non-urban road to GBH :?:
Bladesman
DDK addict

Post by Bladesman »

Being controversial again

If the speed limit was higher - ooh lets say 70 mph - you would get people travelling at "just over the limit" at 80 mph leaving even less time to slow down, take evasive action.

Clearly everyone on this board is a safe and observant driver who can drive safely in excess of the speed limit...oh no I am wrong because some of you HAVE been caught speeding (including myself) and therefore not observant enough...
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

I'm not even going to bother with this discussion as they'll just be handbags at dawn in a few posts - however, I feel for you Vicki.

I got 3 points the other week - in a 30. I drive the road about once a month, I should know better. Why the stretch is a 30 I struggle to understand and I admit I always thought it was higher - it's a main 'A' road and not in a built up area. I need to be more observant obviously. Hang me!
Last edited by Bootsy on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk