New and looking...

Well don't be shy let us know about yourselves

Moderator: Miggs

gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

New and looking...

Post by gridgway »

Hi, I am new here! I currently own a 996GT3RS and aspire to have an "old" porsche beside it in the garage. Trouble is, I really am not sure where to start!!

Ideally it'd be a 73RS, but that's not going to happen. I am not too keen on recreations, so would like to aim for 911S. Doesn't need to be in concourse condition bit something to be used and be reliable without too much firkling about!

But maybe a 912 would be fun! Or even a 914! Oh, dear, so confused!!

Help.

Graham
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Welcome to DDK, and the dark side of old rusty cars!

I'm sure you will narrow your search with some time on here! 911S to 914 is a £60k to £6k price bracket :)
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Good point, I had noticed that slight challenge!
Still a bit confused as you can tell!!
Graham
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

Hi Graham and welcome to DDK,

well you have just taken the first step in the right direction, namely you have joined DDK in order to find out more.
many of us here started out in the same way. I myself was a happy Boxster owner untill i joined (got currupted by) DDK :?

best thing you can do is to come along to a meet or event and have a chat with us about our cars. think hard about how you intend to use the car and what your budget is for buying/running it.
you already own a very good track able car so maybe something a little more comfortable might be a nice alternative. ? for example a good 911T, it won't have the power your used to (then not may Old Porsches will) but they are great fun. and the rides a bit softer for throwing around country lanes :P .

its not to late to join us in wales, where your see an example of just about the whole early porsche range. all in use 8)

BTW what part of the world are you in?
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Thanks Helen. I am nr Epsom in Surrey. When is the wales do? Sounds very good idea to see some cars!

Good point about other less hardcore options! Mind you my GT3 is my soft car, I have a Radical for the track!

Graham
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

Radical 8) .....ok i'm impressed, they look great fun on track.

not much notice for the welsh trip i'm afraid as its next week-end. see thread here http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18621
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
hot66

Post by hot66 »

welcome to DDK :)

if you know nothing about the early cars do PLENTY of research before going shopping for one. There are not many other road cars that can thrill like an early 911 :) .

There are quite a few DDKer's who own GT3's , 997 etc but also have nice early cars for some fun
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Ahh, next weekend does look challenging, shame!
Graham
paulyb
DDK addict

Post by paulyb »

Graham - fancy seeing you here!!!
The Fairmile meet isn't too far from you. 3rd Wed of the month. Good turn out of old Pork if the weather is OK.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Hi Paul, I should've guessed you would be here! That sounds a great idea. I guess the next one is next week. Shame I am in the US next week.

I never did get a ride in your 911!

Graham
Ian Donkin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian Donkin »

Hi there Graham - quite an interesting stable you already have, but the early 911's have a character all of their own and I'm sure you will find something to suit.

Don't be put off by some of the RS recreations - one of the things I like about the early 911's is there is so much you can do to personalise them and tastefully executed, you could end up with something very special indeed.

There are quite a few DDK'ers close by in Surrey and I'm sure we'll see you out and about very soon.
2006 RHD 997 Carrera (but DDK remains in my heart - also now no longer)
1972 LHD 2.4T with '73 2.4T CIS motor - gone to a new DDK home
1994 RHD 993 Carrera - gone!
1968 LHD 911L - was the Wife's but now in new hands :-(

gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Thanks Ian. I guess my prejudice against recreations is very much to do with knowledge. A 911S or whatever being standard should be benchmarkable against "standard". As such it should be able to be valued against what a standard car would be. Getting a re-creation to me would be very hard to ascertain whether it was right, at the right value and worth the right amount to someone else in the future! IYSWIM. I'd want an RS recreation to be quite faithful to the original.

However, it's a good point, I shall be open-minded! Still hard to do knowing paul(yb) has an original!! :-)

Graham
paulyb
DDK addict

Post by paulyb »

Offer of a ride always open Graham - though I guess the weather will be mosly against us now 'Summer' is over :roll:
Actually the RS did a couple of trips to Ridgway Towers when we were doing my engine, but not sure you were around. Peter seemed to like it though!
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Indeed Paul, I was gutted that you and the RS were at Ridgway Towers when I wasn't. Mind you, Mrs R liked the RS!
Graham