911 into 912 engine swap dilema

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

Deeping Lambrettas
DDK Seasoned Poster

911 into 912 engine swap dilema

Post by Deeping Lambrettas »

Dear DDK Doctors
Please help. I was sitting in a bar in Amsterdam having just had a rolled up 10 Euro note gently eased from my teeth between the cheeks of a very sweet smelling Lithuanian girl. It hit me like a flash. I need an extra 2 pots in the 12!

From that point on I found it very hard to concentrate and she got a little p'd when I was clearly not watching her dancing or getting the best value for my 10Es. What engine should I go for, who's got one, what are the pitfalls, what should I avoid, do I know anyone who's done it already, etc.

I'm sure it's been covered before but let's try once more with soul. There's absolutely nothing wrong with my existing 12 motor but I just fancy a winter project and the thought of 50% more cylinders.

Any tips or links would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Paul
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

AlanUK says he fitted a 911 motor into a 912 in a day. You just need to make a couple of holes in the right inner wing for the oil tank, fit 911 engine mounts ILO the 912 items and bolt the new motor in. You may need to mess around witjh a bit of wiring and change the tacho.

I have a 140 bhp 2.0 E motor available
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
912uk

Post by 912uk »

Nick I have been looking into this my self and I want to ask about brakes. If I went down this route in time would the standard brakes be ok I do have an SC front set up with the vented discs which will be more suited.

Also what about the box and oil cooling ...will that be ok and i would only be looking to put in a 2.0 6pot.
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

As long as you don't go too over the top the stock brakes should be up to the job as long as they are all in top condition. You could swap in a complete SC front suspension/brake set up.

Most pre 73 911s didn't have an external oil cooler, it was even an option on the 2.4S

The 901 box was fitted (with a modified clutch) to the 2.2S with 180 bhp, so should be fine on anything less than that.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
912uk

Post by 912uk »

Cool I might buy an engine later next year and sit on it for future project. 2ltr would be fine as it seams that they are out of favour at the mo..

Alan had a nice one for sale a while back.
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

Hi,

It's a while ago that I did that conversion but it was pretty straight forward and like Nick said it took a day to fit it and another one to get it running and detailed. I fitted a 69 T motor in a 67 912 (my first Porsche). I would not advise doing it though, it's probably more suitable to sell the 12 and buy a 911.

Thanks

Alan
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales