Projects undertaken while Grounded?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Projects undertaken while Grounded?

Post by 911hillclimber »

Thought it might be interesting to see what people have been doing outside of the usual car-stuff during these boring times.

I'll kick-off

Not one for anything to do with wood, I've done 2 with wood!

Plane #2
Much smaller 24" span R/C conversion in progress, Supermarine 6, 150 grams total weight target.

Garden bench:
gone all green, used old scaffold planks, hand sawn, pinned and Danish oiled.

Imagehost a pic
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Projects undertaken while Grounded?

Post by Ashley James »

I love that model S6, one of the great images of all time is that wonderful plane. All power to you. It’s funny to read about R-R’s development of that engine, the noise it made and the others cooling it as well as the diarrhoea the Castro’s R gave all the engineers.

My project is rather boring and I’m stuck for parts, but I’m rebuilding an LD Lambretta from 1957.

Rich bought two, got one running and the second wasn’t complete, more a pile of useless spares, but now we have enough to complete it and he’s flat out finishing off a P3, which pays better.

So far I’ve managed to strip out its beautifully made engine. Pics to follow for scooter nerds

911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Here's one I did just after I retired:

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Kneeslider »

I've been tinkering around with with my daughters (3) Austin J40 pedal car. I bought it not long after she was born, and have been steadily gathering bits and restoring them as I go along.

Last summer I was at the stage where all the running gear was finished, so I put it all back together with the rough body to make sure that it all worked. I wasn't looking forward to tackling the bodywork and painting, as that's not really my thing. As is the way with these things, it has already absorbed more money than it will ever be worth. After being really carefull in my choice of automotive projects over the years, and managing to at leas break even with them, it looks like this one will be a monetary loser.

During the lockdown, I have still been working (key worker and all that) but instead of going out, I have been able to devote some time to the filling, and flatting and priming necessary before proper paint. It is taking ages! I'm determined to do it properly so I am doing it all in house, as I already have about half a litre of nice Triumph Sapphire blue left over from my TR6. The plan is to do the finish as a replica of Stirling's 250 SWB in Rob Walker colours.
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Nothing car related yet apart
From a good garage tidy

So far it’s been jobs around the house.

Restained our garden room

And the bridge leading to it

And now commenced decorating my daughters room and then onto my sons

I am working full time though so this is evenings and weekend work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

I don't have a huge amount of time spare as I'm still working (which is a very good thing). But I have done a few things. Jetwashed the block paving at my Mum's bungalow to make it look nicer for sale, although that's not happening any time soon. She has gone into a nursing home (eeek). I finished mending the T and polished it. I also flew for the first time the cheap ebay drone I bought. Unexpectedly it works.

And I've been trying and completely failing to make dovetail joints with a jig and router. This is for my speaker project, although I've got no wood to make it. I just can't make it work. The instructions are simple enough. There's a zillion youtube vids. But this is the result...
ImageIMG_20200414_221054 by graham Ridgway, on Flickr
As you may be able to see, the tails are too big for the pins. But it's so simple. Put the two bits of wood in the jig perpendicular, offset by 1/2". Set the bit depth to 11mm (give or take) and whizz away. How hard can it be? Iv'e tried 13mm deep and 9mm deep (which I think this attempt is). Frankly I feel a bit stupid!

Graham
mycar

Post by mycar »

It's pretty straightforward, you'll sort it out.

mycar

Post by mycar »

Once you get the hang of it you'll be turning them out.

rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

I have not tried Graham but looks like different spacing might fix it?

I too am working, in fact busier than ever and a teacher and dinner lady by day....but have managed a couple of projects alongside her washing everything in sight.

A chassis frame for the new Motorhome, for rear steadies not specced by the first owner. Surprisingly difficult, I used only existing holes so I did not weaken the rear chassis rails. It also had to be dead square and the runners I made within a 2mm tolerance at each end of travel. Turned out well

I too have been dabbling with woodwork and made a pseudo butchers block for the pantry using offcuts and an old bit of Ikea furniture I chopped up and re-purposed. I don’t have a skill saw so did this with a circular saw and a bit of careful measuring. This taken just before I gave myself a hernia lifting it into its new home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

mycar wrote:It's pretty straightforward, you'll sort it out.
Clearly not 8)
mycar

Post by mycar »

What jig are you using ?
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

mycar wrote:Once you get the hang of it you'll be turning them out.

Wow, that’s an awesome skill you have there
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

a lumberjack dtj300, one of these...
https://www.lumberjacktools.co.uk/produ ... t-lum00009
Not terribly good quality, but standard with 1/2" fingers and gaps.
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

Not a scoobie-do here Graham, but it does rather look like you've ended up with 2 male halves, rather than a male and a female. I looked at the manual - hope it makes more sense when you've got the tool and the wood in front of you, as I read it 3 times, then gave up and got another coffee.

I prefer metal - I can weld a bit more on when I've taken too much off, and grind a bit off if it is still too large. With wood, I can measure, measure and measure again, and it still always ends up looking like a pig's ear of a job.

Keep playing - you'll sort it in the end.
Peter
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

PeterK wrote:but it does rather look like you've ended up with 2 male halves
Peter
That is exactly what it seems. And I cannot see how to do otherwise, I'm a bit stumped. I shall video what I am doing and resurrect my woodwork-for-new-speakers thread which gave rise to the idea to seek more DDK-guidance! Then I'll not take this thread over!
Graham